Budget (Around 15k-18k) powered/active speakers

tvnoobhere

Hello Folks,

Looking to buy a pair of powered speakers for listening to music (primary) and movies (secondary).
Budget is around 15k-18k.
The source is going to be mostly an Amazon Echo over bluetooth and optical input preferred for TV connection.
Expectation is reasonable warm sound, clarity, good bass at medium volumes.
Being in an apartment, dont need the speakers to get very loud.

From various reviews I have seen folks recommend the Edifier 1280, or if budget permits the 1700 etc.
Or from the Hivi Swan line, I had checked an earlier thread, and recommendations were for the Hivi D1090 however that seems to not be available anywhere plus is nearly double my budget.
Amazon seems to have multiple version of hivi 1080.
Am open to Amp+speakers as well.

Located in Pune so any suggestions for dealers of hivi/edifier or other recommendations here that I can use to listen, would be awesome as well.

Thank you!

Same boat! I have the Edifier 1855DB and would not recommend it for music at all. I am looking for nearfield options for a desktop set up in a smallish study and am strongly considering the JBL 305mkii but really would like to audition them first.
I haven't found anywhere to audition them yet in B'lore, though.
Does anyone here have thoughts on the 305mkii for nearfield? Some reviews mention that they are bright and possibly thin.
Thanks

I have Micca On3 as desktop speakers. They sound superb and punchy for a single driver. I have demoed even the JBL one but this one just hits it out of the park. Not too bright but the base with 2nd set of setting is just awesome. Only down side i found is the speakers are not grounded. So wont recommend any wired connection to your source. I added a Bluetooth adaptor, dont want to risk my laptop with non earthing current. but beyond this, its hard to find anything this good at the price. Also would recommend to lay them sideways and not standing for best output. Oh and they come with magnetic grill!. Its available on Flipkart. I had to return my first pair to the seller as the speakers had got short circuit in first week.

I have Micca On3 as desktop speakers. They sound superb and punchy for a single driver. I have demoed even the JBL one but this one just hits it out of the park. Not too bright but the base with 2nd set of setting is just awesome. Only down side i found is the speakers are not grounded. So wont recommend any wired connection to your source. I added a Bluetooth adaptor, dont want to risk my laptop with non earthing current. but beyond this, its hard to find anything this good at the price. Also would recommend to lay them sideways and not standing for best output. Oh and they come with magnetic grill!. Its available on Flipkart. I had to return my first pair to the seller as the speakers had got short circuit in first week.
Hi, I am considering this model for my desktop. Would you still recommend this, or are there any better options? Looking for a small footprint but clean sound.

Hi, I am considering this model for my desktop. Would you still recommend this, or are there any better options? Looking for a small footprint but clean sound.
For the price nothing comes close for sure. Also it's not a small foot print. Speakers are quiet deep. Check specifications for size. Otherwise highly recommended.

Hello Folks,

Looking to buy a pair of powered speakers for listening to music (primary) and movies (secondary).
Budget is around 15k-18k.
The source is going to be mostly an Amazon Echo over bluetooth and optical input preferred for TV connection.
Expectation is reasonable warm sound, clarity, good bass at medium volumes.
Being in an apartment, dont need the speakers to get very loud.

From various reviews I have seen folks recommend the Edifier 1280, or if budget permits the 1700 etc.
Or from the Hivi Swan line, I had checked an earlier thread, and recommendations were for the Hivi D1090 however that seems to not be available anywhere plus is nearly double my budget.
Amazon seems to have multiple version of hivi 1080.
Am open to Amp+speakers as well.

Located in Pune so any suggestions for dealers of hivi/edifier or other recommendations here that I can use to listen, would be awesome as well.

Thank you!
If you are open to Amp + Speakers then consider AIYIMA T9 + MICCA 42 total would be slightly above 18K but worth the money.

Even I am waiting for them to be available.
Else thinking Elac BS41
I checked with the flipkart/amazon seller. They said they dont have stock, could be another 1.5 months before they are available. Also where are you looking to buy the Elac BS41 from in India?

I checked with the flipkart/amazon seller. They said they dont have stock, could be another 1.5 months before they are available. Also where are you looking to buy the Elac BS41 from in India?
KEI Mumbai.. i have spoken to them when i got my Debute F5 so when i finally decide to pull the trigger will go to them.

I was able to get in touch with the main dealer D&V Audio, he has one piece with him. If you want can get in touch with him directly +917777097741

I was able to get in touch with the main dealer D&V Audio, he has one piece with him. If you want can get in touch with him directly +917777097741
o really, thanks, will check, but sometimes they have one last bad piece left. I think I called this number and spoke to someone who said they dont have it. Who did you speak with? And I am in Bangalore, you think they will ship? Also, can I ask how much is the Elac bs41 coming up to? And are you still holding on to the Micca Ons?

Seems like the swan M200MKIII+ might be a contender, will have to figure out the budget.
The AMP + Speakers will need a bit of push on the home ministers side on account of the wires.
@Aniket N R when you mentioned the MICCA 42 you mean the PB42 and not the MB42 right?

Seems like the swan M200MKIII+ might be a contender, will have to figure out the budget.
The AMP + Speakers will need a bit of push on the home ministers side on account of the wires.
@Aniket N R when you mentioned the MICCA 42 you mean the PB42 and not the MB42 right?
Yes RB42 first priority and PB42 second.
I have recently got hold of the Aiyima T9 and I am in awe of its capibilities. They are easily driving even my Elac F5 with ease and sound better than my Denon. Unfortunately we never get to demo and decide.

o really, thanks, will check, but sometimes they have one last bad piece left. I think I called this number and spoke to someone who said they dont have it. Who did you speak with? And I am in Bangalore, you think they will ship? Also, can I ask how much is the Elac bs41 coming up to? And are you still holding on to the Micca Ons?
1. Spoke to the person who picked up the phone don't know his name.
2. I believe they would be happy to ship, it comes with a one year warranty. You can speak and confirm with them.
3. Elacs haven't enquired yet. Not decided to pull the trigger as yet.
4. Yes holding on to my ON3 their board got shorted it powered on but no output. That's when I opened them and bypassed internal circuit and made them passive. All this only because they sound kickass for near field listening. I am a bass head and the bass kick is amazing for the size and being single driver

Last edited:
Same boat! I have the Edifier 1855DB and would not recommend it for music at all. I am looking for nearfield options for a desktop set up in a smallish study and am strongly considering the JBL 305mkii but really would like to audition them first.
I haven't found anywhere to audition them yet in B'lore, though.
Does anyone here have thoughts on the 305mkii for nearfield? Some reviews mention that they are bright and possibly thin.
Thanks
Is the edifier that bad for music..? Can you elaborate on the reason..?

I was considering buying it as a desktop speaker for music.

Is the edifier that bad for music..? Can you elaborate on the reason..?

I was considering buying it as a desktop speaker for music.
I've used the Edifier 1280dbs. It's terrible. Thin mids, unrefined highs and no bass. It sounds lean and tinny.

The fact that it is being sold for 15k is daylight robbery considering its got the sound of a sub-5k speaker. It's comparable to the Creative SBS-370, except with lesser bass 😂

If you can get your hands on a used Altec Lansing MX5021, a speaker that was sold new at 6.5k back in the day, you will experience a much better sound in every which way than the Edifier.

In fact, I would wholeheartedly recommend a Marshall Acton II over the Edifier every day of the week and twice on Sunda, both for sound and build quality. The stereo separation from the edifier is not capable of carrying the rest of its sound into something palatable.

Last edited:
Hey Folks, just wanted to come back to update what I Bought.
Went waaayyy over budget and got a Micca RB 42 + Aiyima T9 Pro. (Costed me around 29-30k total).
This is my first setup so dont have a reference point but I am very happy with this setup.
The soundstage is great and the bass on these speakers for their size is really great.

Hey Folks, just wanted to come back to update what I Bought.
Went waaayyy over budget and got a Micca RB 42 + Aiyima T9 Pro. (Costed me around 29-30k total).
This is my first setup so dont have a reference point but I am very happy with this setup.
The soundstage is great and the bass on these speakers for their size is really great.
Can you provide a link to these? I was planning on getting them, but Amazon pricing seems to be ₹4k higher.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back