Budget CD Player?

swami

Hi,

I searched the forum a lot. There is nothing starting below a Marantz or a CA. Hence, this thread.

My question: We are having a host of DVD players in the Indian market place - Philips, Sony, Samsung, LG, Onida, T Series, and then .. Pioneer, Panasonic. You name it and you get it. Price? The range is from 1.5K to 8-10K. Are we having similar options when it comes to CDP? Can someone guide me to a basic CDP that just plays audio CDs and gives decent quality (better than any of the abovementioned DVD players, else I can opt for a DVD player instead)? My budget is around 4-7K.

I know Marantz and CA are of the range 12-18K but I am exploring if there is a CDP product base similar to the enormous DVD range that we currently see all around.

Another question: Does pioneer DVD player - DVD220 (or DVD420) provide good CD playback? Do not compare with Marantz but atleast if it does better than other DVD players in the market, then it can serve me as a multipurpose audio (and video) device. Please comment on the audio quality.

CDP is kind of outdated for mass market. You may also look at CA dvdp if that helps.
Otherwise used route is there.
Teac CDPs are available for cheaper I guess.

in mumbai teac cdp brand new was available for 3000 or 3500..on lamigton road.
it had co axial digital output.

in mumbai teac cdp brand new was available for 3000 or 3500..on lamigton road.
it had co axial digital output.

So, are you suggesting that I will get much better sound quality if I replace my existing DVD player with any TEAC CD player available on the streets? If so, I would like fellow members to inform me where I can get the same in Delhi region.

Your help is much appreciated.

what do you meat street?
it was from a speciality shop selling Public address and basic DJ systems.
had this player for some time ( it was used) better than mass market DVD -yes ..but never compared with pioneer 620 which I have.
BTW it was popular amoungest the street dj's and installers in mumbai.

Hi,
If you want a budget player then i suggest you go for ONIDA. Its not only cheap but also loaded with features. It is also compatible with USB, AUX out, card reader and plays almost all the formats. Price should be around 3.5k to 4k

regards
RD

what do you meat street?
it was from a speciality shop selling Public address and basic DJ systems.
had this player for some time ( it was used) better than mass market DVD -yes ..but never compared with pioneer 620 which I have.
BTW it was popular amoungest the street dj's and installers in mumbai.

By street price, I assumed and meant that these CDPs would be available in grey market or such shops "on the streets"! Thanks for confirming that it'd sound better than a regular (mass) DVDP.

why not increase your budget slighlty more and go for a DAC route so that you can use your DVDp as transport.

I am actually going to buy a new player (using my existing one in another room). So, either I buy a new DVDP (recommended one, such as a Pioneer 420?) or a new CDP (like this TEAC) and a DVDP (mass - philips/sony/onida). Nevertheless, how much would it cost me to put a DAC between my existing DVDP and AVR? And what brand/model you were having in mind when you suggested this?

Hi,
If you want a budget player then i suggest you go for ONIDA. Its not only cheap but also loaded with features. It is also compatible with USB, AUX out, card reader and plays almost all the formats. Price should be around 3.5k to 4k

regards
RD

I do want a budget player "a budget CD player". My main aim is to have superior audio quality. Are you suggesting that this Onida DVD player is good in terms of its audio quality? Or you recommended is based on the fact that its cost effective and does everything that other DVD players can do?

Onida dvd player has quality issues, audio is mass market one. and in same price samsung or lg is betterchoice ,or pump up ur budget and buy pioneer.

OP is not looking for features, but better music playback.

Swami, I have used the dv220 for cd playback( I also use a Marantz cdp), what I felt was that it did a decent job, however it sounded slightly brighter and there was a lack of depth,body to the sound, but not a glaring difference. It would depend on how revealing your set up is.
Else you could try to get the CA DV89 at about 8k. Else a DAC+DVDp combo.

Onida dvd player has quality issues, audio is mass market one. and in same price samsung or lg is betterchoice ,or pump up ur budget and buy pioneer.

Summarizing my scenario for the sake of convenience -

1. I will be happy to buy a single DVD player if the audio quality is good (not similar to a marantz CDP but better than mass DVD players like Sony, LG, Philips etc). In this, I am counting on models like pioneer 220, pioneer 420, marantz 4001 etc. Please comment with these considerations.

2. Only if the above is not a reality. I will be happy to buy a dedicated CD player ("budget" - like TEAC for around 3K or so). Again, it may not sound as good as a marantz CDP which is way more expensive. But it should beat all the other DVD players hands down whe audio playback is concerned. This is a must: the CDP shall sound better for audio CD playback when compared with pioneer 220, 420, marantz 4001 etc. Then, I would be happy to buy a DVD player as well to serve me video playback. And here I can go for any good DVDP (mass) viz. sony, philips, lg, etc.

I hope I have given more clarity than confusion :lol:

Swami, I have used the dv220 for cd playback( I also use a Marantz cdp), what I felt was that it did a decent job, however it sounded slightly brighter and there was a lack of depth,body to the sound, but not a glaring difference. It would depend on how revealing your set up is.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion(s). I have Denon AVR1611 and Wharfedale diamond 9.1 bookshelves. Do you think I will be happy with the pioneer 220/420 despite the bright sound and lack of depth, body?

Is CA DV89 a DVD player? If so, is it better than pio 220 in terms of audio?

Summarizing my scenario for the sake of convenience -

1. I will be happy to buy a single DVD player if the audio quality is good (not similar to a marantz CDP but better than mass DVD players like Sony, LG, Philips etc). In this, I am counting on models like pioneer 220, pioneer 420, marantz 4001 etc. Please comment with these considerations.

2. Only if the above is not a reality. I will be happy to buy a dedicated CD player ("budget" - like TEAC for around 3K or so). Again, it may not sound as good as a marantz CDP which is way more expensive. But it should beat all the other DVD players hands down whe audio playback is concerned. This is a must: the CDP shall sound better for audio CD playback when compared with pioneer 220, 420, marantz 4001 etc. Then, I would be happy to buy a DVD player as well to serve me video playback. And here I can go for any good DVDP (mass) viz. sony, philips, lg, etc.

I hope I have given more clarity than confusion :lol:

Look, a mass market dvd player will not get you great audio quality. Thats the reality..they are cheap cause they use cheap components. At the most there might be slight difference in the sound quality but it will be marginal. So the difference between philips and a sony and onida and teac is really marginal. The world is not fair..you don't get good things cheap (unless you are into DIY).

For the kind of budget you have, you have three options
a) Save up for a budget dedicated cdp from marantz that will cost Rs.16k-17k
b) Buy a Beresford or other DAC which will be less than 10k
c) Be happy with your dvd + amp setup and stop thinking about audiophile grade equipments.

Another question: Does pioneer DVD player - DVD220 (or DVD420) provide good CD playback? Do not compare with Marantz but atleast if it does better than other DVD players in the market, then it can serve me as a multipurpose audio (and video) device. Please comment on the audio quality.

I do not have the Pioneer 220 or 420. I have Pioneer DV 444 which was bought
and brought from the US. Anyways I was recently testing the SQ of the DAC of
the Pioneer and found it very bright. There was lot of emphasis on the vocals.
Vocals were very clear but it completely lacked the bass. It was like there was
absolutely no bass. Not to mention that I did not like the sound.

Look, a mass market dvd player will not get you great audio quality. Thats the reality..they are cheap cause they use cheap components. At the most there might be slight difference in the sound quality but it will be marginal. So the difference between philips and a sony and onida and teac is really marginal. The world is not fair..you don't get good things cheap (unless you are into DIY).

For the kind of budget you have, you have three options
a) Save up for a budget dedicated cdp from marantz that will cost Rs.16k-17k
b) Buy a Beresford or other DAC which will be less than 10k
c) Be happy with your dvd + amp setup and stop thinking about audiophile grade equipments.

have you done the testing? I mean any shootout involving TEac , Sony < Philips and Onida?

How about sony's premium ES & ESD line or philips semi premium 900 Series? I mean you did any specific comparison?
I am saying as I had teac and philips mass market CDP ( CD 165) ,and handled onida as product..so can I understand your idea of marginal?

My Philips CD 165 was better than mass market DVDs and Teac was better sounding than philips ..In fact I strongly suspect dealer is off loading stocks as Teac is available for 84 GBP on amazon uk.

Teac CD-P1160D - CD player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have an entry level DVD player from Pioneer and Marantz 6002 CD player. I was not able to descriminate while playing audio CDs and Recorded CD R/W through either of them. Tried with variety of Jazz genre music. May be my system was not able to resolve the difference, if there( I use Technics Amplifier and Mission M33i FS speaker . The culprit may be the speaker whose Mid band performance is average though Bass is very good)

If you know someone in UK, CA DV99 is selling for 119 pounds. I got mine for 8K and its an awesome deal comparing to entry level CD players. i compared it with entry level CD players from Marantz and CA and performance is satisfactory.

CA DV89 is selling for 69 or 79 pounds in UK, isnt it a steal!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back