Budget CD Player?

If you know someone in UK, CA DV99 is selling for 119 pounds. I got mine for 8K and its an awesome deal comparing to entry level CD players. i compared it with entry level CD players from Marantz and CA and performance is satisfactory.

CA DV89 is selling for 69 or 79 pounds in UK, isnt it a steal!!

No, I don't know anyone in UK who is coming back soon :sad:

However, in my discussion with my dealer today, he insisted that CA DV99 (or 89) are no comparison to Marantz 6001 DVD player. This player also plays SACD and he asserts that the sound quality is very good that I wouldn't need a dedicated CD player unless I am a high grade audiophile (am I? ;) ). Marantz 6001 is around 12K if I am not wrong. And another model is Marantz 4001 which is not having SACD and comes for around 8K+ and my dealer informs that it would be good for audio CD too.

PS: I heard blu ray players are "no good" for CD playback, especially budget ones like sony 10K, panasonic 11K. Any thoughts?

its difficult to get a new / good cd player in your budget ....u can look for used ones ....or ...new models of old stock ....like the 4001 u have referred to

No, I don't know anyone in UK who is coming back soon :sad:

However, in my discussion with my dealer today, he insisted that CA DV99 (or 89) are no comparison to Marantz 6001 DVD player. This player also plays SACD and he asserts that the sound quality is very good that I wouldn't need a dedicated CD player unless I am a high grade audiophile (am I? ;) ). Marantz 6001 is around 12K if I am not wrong. And another model is Marantz 4001 which is not having SACD and comes for around 8K+ and my dealer informs that it would be good for audio CD too.

PS: I heard blu ray players are "no good" for CD playback, especially budget ones like sony 10K, panasonic 11K. Any thoughts?
A cdp will sound better but you will have to strain to make out the differences esp with an avr. I have heard cdp with denon19xx series, onkyo etc and however good cdp you get the avr will be a bottleneck.
In a nutshell, a cdp would sound marginally better than a dvdp(mass market) with your set up, but not as good as it would sound paired with a stereo amp. Unless you are planning to go for a pure stereo set up, go for a dvdp like ca dv89/99 or pio dv220/420 and add a a budget dac if you please.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion(s). I have Denon AVR1611 and Wharfedale diamond 9.1 bookshelves. Do you think I will be happy with the pioneer 220/420 despite the bright sound and lack of depth, body?

Is CA DV89 a DVD player? If so, is it better than pio 220 in terms of audio?

Hai swami,

Buy any pioneer DVDP and replace the stock output OPAMP IC to 4562, which will cost you less than Rs.400/- and hear the difference. This OPAMP is recommended even for Marantz CDPs.

N.Murali

Hai swami,

Buy any pioneer DVDP and replace the stock output OPAMP IC to 4562, which will cost you less than Rs.400/- and hear the difference. This OPAMP is recommended even for Marantz CDPs.

N.Murali

for cd6002? Do you have a link explaining the mod for 6002 with 4562?

Cheers

Hai swami,

N.Murali

Murali Sir,
Details will be beneficial. There are a lot of DIY speakers and amp threads, we need some DIY source threads :clapping:

Hai swami,

N.Murali

Dear Murali,
Can you be more specific about the method invoved in replacing the opamp. Is it a straight replacement in a socket or does it involve desoldering and soldering.
Thanks

for cd6002? Do you have a link explaining the mod for 6002 with 4562?

Cheers

Hai gobble,

I meant mods only for older generation Marantz CDPs like CDP 48, 63 series etc , about new models I dont know. But if you want further info Google CDP mod or OPAMP mods and find out.

@pnreddy,

It is simply desoldering the existing OPAMp and soldering the new OPAMP.

Pl search Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles website for details of opamp recommendations.

N.Murali

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back