Budget stereo system

Dhandapani

I have been using computer speakers and Bluetooth speakers to listen music. Now I wanted to upgrade to a stereo music system. That's the reason I joined this forum. I have few doubts and need suggestions.

1. To my knowledge a stereo system needs a source ,stereo amplifier and bookshelf/floor standing speakers. Is a separate sub woofer necessary for a stereo system?

2. My music source would be laptop and mobile phone. Is DAC necessary to connect laptop/mobile with the stereo amplifier?

3. For a stereo system, which would be better floor standing or bookshelf speakers?

4. My budget is 25-30k. I will mostly listen to Indian movie songs. A Little bit of bass lover. Going to setup the system in my bedroom. Room size is 15*11 feet. Considering the budget I think I couldn't get a decent stereo system with DAC and woofer and floor standing speakers. That's why I asked the above questions. I am very much open to used products. Kindly advice me.

Thank you

1. To my knowledge a stereo system needs a source ,stereo amplifier and bookshelf/floor standing speakers.

You are right..

Is a separate sub woofer necessary for a stereo system?

Yes, IMO..

A Little bit of bass lover.

So get the subwoofer..You also get the benefit adjusting bass to your liking with a subwoofer..

2. My music source would be laptop and mobile phone. Is DAC necessary to connect laptop/mobile with the stereo amplifier?

Yes.. Either an USB DAC (or) standalone DAC + stereo amplifier.. But for the budget, it might be difficult to put together..

Does your laptop have HDMI Output ?..

3. For a stereo system, which would be better floor standing or bookshelf speakers?

Going to setup the system in my bedroom. Room size is 15*11 feet.

Practically speaking, good to settle for a 2.1 set-up (or) 2.0..

4. My budget is 25-30k. I will mostly listen to Indian movie songs. Considering the budget I think I couldn't get a decent stereo system with DAC and woofer and floor standing speakers. That's why I asked the above questions. I am very much open to used products. Kindly advice me.

If your laptop has HDMI out, then an AVR is better.. Even an entry level AVR, used one with 4 HDMI inputs (10 ~ 12K), should be good.. Lot more flexibility in playback.. Playback from mobile (wireless) is also possible with compatible mobile app..

Yes.. Either an USB DAC (or) standalone DAC + stereo amplifier.. But for the budget, it might be difficult to put together..

I understand about the budget constraint. How much will it cost more?

Does your laptop have HDMI Output ?..[/QUOTE]

My present laptop doesn't have a HDMI output. It's pretty old one. Going to buy a new one. I think almost all of the latest laptop has HDMI output. If it has a purpose in the music system , I will try to get a laptop with HDMI output port.

Practically speaking, good to settle for a 2.1 set-up (or) 2.0..[/QUOTE]

I am more than ok to settle with this.

If your laptop has HDMI out, then an AVR is better.. Even an entry level AVR, used one with 4 HDMI inputs (10 ~ 12K), should be good.. Lot more flexibility in playback.. Playback from mobile (wireless) is also possible with compatible mobile app..[/QUOTE]

Which is better to listen music, Using AVR or a stereo Amplifier?
Watching the sale threads, if a suitable stereo amplifier is available will try to get. Can HDMI input be given to stereo amplifier?

IF you still want to use bluetooth and mobile phone to listen to music, you can think of getting powered speakers in case the separates are not desired at the given budget. some really good powered speakers are on the market nowadays getting the trouble out of the way matching amps/speakers. That would be a big upgrade from the computer speakers. It might feel natural progression than going through the daunting task of putting a hi-fi system together. You can always add a Bluetooth adapter later or even better use wifi connections like chromecast audio which has a decent enough DAC for its price.

IF you still want to use bluetooth and mobile phone to listen to music, you can think of getting powered speakers in case the separates are not desired at the given budget. some really good powered speakers are on the market nowadays getting the trouble out of the way matching amps/speakers. That would be a big upgrade from the computer speakers. It might feel natural progression than going through the daunting task of putting a hi-fi system together. You can always add a Bluetooth adapter later or even better use wifi connections like chromecast audio which has a decent enough DAC for its price.

Thanks for your advice. Though aiming for a hifi system considering the budget, your suggestion looks good. Will try this option also

From your reply what I understood is using Chromecast as an interface to connect source with powered speakers. Am I right?

Can suggestion be given for powered speakers? How much would a high quality powered speaker cost? If can't be revealed in this thread, pls pm me.

Look at Swans speakers. bajaao.com has a bunch of studio monitors that are used by many as home speakers. Chromecast audio gets streaming apps running in a single click if using android. There are plenty others with budgets starting from 10k to 200k. Read up on reviews, watch YouTube reviews and take advice from this forum. The drawbacks of buying online is not being able to audition these speakers.

My present laptop doesn't have a HDMI output. It's pretty old one. Going to buy a new one. I think almost all of the latest laptop has HDMI output. If it has a purpose in the music system , I will try to get a laptop with HDMI output port.

Getting any device with HDMI out is a boon, as it serves can serve multipurpose.. Music/movies..

Which is better to listen music, Using AVR or a stereo Amplifier?

This is one endless debatable topic.. If you prefer flexible connectivity, & network, then AVR it is.. Even for casual movie watching, AVR has Dolby / DTS decoders as standard.. So benefit there too..

Watching the sale threads, if a suitable stereo amplifier is available will try to get.

If you the take the stereo amplifier route, you will end up spending more than your budget and may not complete your intended set-up..

Can HDMI input be given to stereo amplifier?

There is only one stereo amplifier that accepts HDMI input.. Onkyo.. But that amplifier alone will be 2 x your budget..

I have been using computer speakers and Bluetooth speakers to listen music. Now I wanted to upgrade to a stereo music system. That's the reason I joined this forum. I have few doubts and need suggestions.

1. To my knowledge a stereo system needs a source ,stereo amplifier and bookshelf/floor standing speakers. Is a separate sub woofer necessary for a stereo system?

4. My budget is 25-30k. I will mostly listen to Indian movie songs. A Little bit of bass lover. Going to setup the system in my bedroom. Room size is 15*11 feet. Considering the budget I think I couldn't get a decent stereo system with DAC and woofer and floor standing speakers. That's why I asked the above questions. I am very much open to used products. Kindly advice me.

Thank you

1. Yes correct. Get a sub if your speakers do not go down to 40hz or lower. In your cases yes get a sub as speakers designed to go low are not cheap.

2. Dac is not necessary, but a good to have. You could invest in one maybe at a later stage when you have saved a bit. How are you intending to connect the mobile?

3. This depends on your budget, space available and the speaker available. An X priced tower in a mid segment could get you a bookshelf at a slightly higher segment, although it's not always the case. So better to audition and then take a call. Both have their pros and cons.

4. In my opinion, start with a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers. This will get you started. You could then add a dac and a sub later on to complete it.

You could even try out a cheap but a reliable dac such a fiio k1. This dac costs 2k and will be an improvement over your computer's onboard system.

MaSh

Thanks for your advice. From your reply I'm inclined towards a good bookshelf speaker and a supporting amplifier. May be a used one.

How are you intending to connect the mobile?
Is it advisable to connect through 3.5 mm jack to RCA connecter?

In future, I think this configuration gives me a better option to upgrade. Including a DAC and subwoofer later.

MaSh

Thanks for your advice. From your reply I'm inclined towards a good bookshelf speaker and a supporting amplifier. May be a used one.

How are you intending to connect the mobile?
Is it advisable to connect through 3.5 mm jack to RCA connecter?

In future, I think this configuration gives me a better option to upgrade. Including a DAC and subwoofer later.

Yes that would be a right direction to take.

Yes you can surely connect via the headphone out. In that case the DAC in mobile is used.

MaSh

Norge 2060 costs around 14k and Cambridge audio Topaz AM5 costs around 16k. I understand the power output difference of the amps. But considering the quality of the amp and the room size of 15*11, It is wise to choose which one?

How about Cambridge TOPAZ series? Will it suit my requirement?

Cambridge Topaz is a stereo amplifier.. Yes.. it will suit your requirements.. But mind you, it has only analogue inputs..

If it is worth investing, would like to extend my budget little bit. Any pros and cons with respect to my requirement.

This means you are forced to buy a DAC (additional cost).. Either an USB DAC (or) a standalone DAC which has digital inputs (Optical, co-axial & USB Inputs).. Your sources are laptop with HDMI / mobile..

Any good pairing speakers?

Get the one that you can afford in your budget..

You may also look for chinese digital amplifiers - FX Audio D802, SMSL Q5 Pro... Either new (12K incl of shipping & import duties to India) (or) used from FM here.. These offer all digital inputs - Coaxial, optical, USB to connect to laptop and you will not need a external DAC.. which these standard stereo amplifiers don't have..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back