Buiding a Home Theatre - From Scratch

Thanks @rdksrk2013 . The one I saw was 4 feet wide, and can be cut into needed length as they kept it as a roll. My need is for a 4 feet high screen, and this should suffice. Not sure whether they have even wider ones

If it is 4 feet wide then you will have limitation for going for 120" screen for 16:9

See to it that it should have bit of light greyish shade rather than pure white. The cloth which I bought has a light greyish shade. It improves the contrast.

Yes you are right. but I do have a small room, and max throw distance I can achieve is 11 feet. This will provide me a 94" screen in 16:9 format, which has a height of 46". I guess it will suit my need. And yes, it do have a slight greyish shade rather than pure white shade.
Being said all these, I also have an inclination towards pull down screens, as there is dust in my room. I dont want to build a fixed frame screen which finally become a dust covered one. But look wise, the fixed one is unbeatable.
Anyway, I will decide once I get my PJ in hand.

Yes you are right. but I do have a small room, and max throw distance I can achieve is 11 feet. This will provide me a 94" screen in 16:9 format, which has a height of 46". I guess it will suit my need. And yes, it do have a slight greyish shade rather than pure white shade.

you might get less than 46" actual height after you are done mounting it to a frame. The frame border is usually more than an inch thick and you need to wrap the screen around it.
Being said all these, I also have an inclination towards pull down screens, as there is dust in my room. I dont want to build a fixed frame screen which finally become a dust covered one. But look wise, the fixed one is unbeatable.

Just put a cloth curtain above the fixed screen. Open when you are about to watch the projector.

It is good if you can source locally the blackout cloth. These days almost all the projectors are brighter and if you have control of the darkness of the room it does not matter what is the quality of the cloth - you cannot see perceptible difference unless the cloth has some spots or wrinkles.

No need to spend more money importing the screen if it is locally available. In my case I did not spend time searching locally and took the most convenient route to source the screen from carl's as I had a family member travelling from US.

Last edited:
I am using Plotting paper roll. These roll are 60 Inch height and 30 meter long.
These roll cost around 300 rs in Pune. You cut this paper to size and stick it to the wall with normal gum available. If you want to remove this screen wet the screen first and it peels off easily without damaging the color of wall.
You can then have 4.8 feet tall and 8.5 feet width screen at very minimal cost.
Posting shots of my screen.

I am using Plotting paper roll. These roll are 60 Inch height and 30 meter long.
These roll cost around 300 rs in Pune. You cut this paper to size and stick it to the wall with normal gum available. If you want to remove this screen wet the screen first and it peels off easily without damaging the color of wall.
You can then have 4.8 feet tall and 8.5 feet width screen at very minimal cost.
Posting shots of my screen.

I second this idea. It is a cheaper option as well. You can border this paper with black felt tape or as well pin it to a wooden frame and border it with black tape to get the feeling of a screen.

Waiting for the snaps !

ugy3ebyt.jpg
zumujyhu.jpg
I have another option for the screen.Here in dubai manual 100 inch manual screen will cost around aed 500-800. So I purchased 2 mm forex sheet and cut according to my size and sticked with souble sided tape.It cost me around aed 100. My wife doesn't want to use any black border around the screen bcos its our home theatre cum bedroom cum dining cum living cum.... ha haha.. its a studio flat
nudupemu.jpg
unabeqe9.jpg
2e7e9uqu.jpg
urema5yr.jpg
y2esatus.jpg

Last edited:
[I have another option for the screen.Here in dubai manual 100 inch manual screen will cost around aed 500-800. So I purchased 2 mm forex sheet and cut according to my size and sticked with souble sided tape.It cost me around aed 100. My wife doesn't want to use any black border around the screen bcos its our home theatre cum bedroom cum dining cum living cum.... ha haha.. its a studio flat

Thanks for sharing a good idea.

Hope these ideas will help for members searching for cost effective options for screens.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back