Building a 110v power source for XBox

sumeshj

I want to build a 110v power source for my XBox which was purchased in the US. I have a few basic questions about building such power supplies, and it would be great if someone here can help me out:

1. Should I use just a 220v to 110v step-down transformer without any other circuit? For example, something for over-voltage protection, etc.

2. Do I need to convert from 50Hz to 60Hz or would it work fine as is?

3. Can someone suggest a good transformer brand that I can buy? The XBox manual says it needs a power adapter of 175W. What rating transformer should I buy (will 2A be sufficient)?

Please let me know. thanks!

As far as I can see, the 360 PSU is a SMPS with
Output voltage: 12V - 12.1A 5Vsb 1A 150Watt

It should be fine to use a 220v-110V transformer, and no need to worry
about 50Hz/60Hz. 2A on the 110V side is probably ok, but you
could go for a bit higher current rating to be on the safe side. I think
you get can 300W step downs.

Last edited:
110v ,300VAstep down boxes sell in 1k here ,why u want to do diy ?
my tv takes power from such a box which need about 200W initially
12$ 1600w solid state converter also u can get from ebay US

In your case, it would be as simple as getting yourself a simple step down transformer from your local electrical/inverter shop. 500W should be enough.

For future reference though (and a cheap solution), and in case your 360 brick dies on you at anytime. Here's what you do..I had to do this when my very first 360PSU(US model) went kaput 5 years ago.

Get yourself a generic ATX-SMPS (350W should be enough), just make sure it uses more than 16.5A on the 12V rail, and more than 1A on the 5V rail. Cut off a little and the end of the 360 connector to expose the shielding and the wires. Twist all same colored wires together--Black is ground, yellow is 12V and Red is 5V. There's also a single Blue which sleeps/wakes the original brick--you don;t have to worry about the Blue.

Now cut off all molex connectors and the main 20/24 pin MB conenctor from the ATX PSU, just leave one Black and One Green on Pin 13 and Pin 14(on the main motherboard connector) and join them together(this is so the manual switch works, otherwise it'll be on all the time).

Now, group together all available Yellow, Reds and Blacks and twist(soldering is better) them with the corresponding ones on the 360 connector. Done!..you just got yourself a working 360 PSU for 200/300 bucks. Note: It's always better to solder the wires together and provide proper shielding where the wires are joined(shrink tubes are best, but mulitple layers of quality electrical tape will also do the job).

Why not just buy a 220V supply from Ebay? They sell units that are universal voltage from 100 to 240 volts. Whereever you are, you just plug it in.

Look carefully at the supply you received with the xBox. If it says 100 to 240 volts, it will automatically adjust for the mains voltage. If it says 120 v only, then you need to consider a new supply or a stepdown transformer. The mains frequency (50 or 60Hz) is not not important for this product.

I borrowed a 110v converter from a friend and took a look inside. It just has a 220v to 110v step tranformer, that's it. But the transformer looks really bad quality. So instead of buying a ready-made converter I would prefer buying a good transformer and building it myself. Can anyone suggest a good transformer brand?

I looked at the XBox power supplies available on eBay but they all look poor quality and cost around Rs.2600.

I liked the idea of repurposing a SMPS. Will try that definitely if my power brick goes bad in the future.

Hi Sumesh,

It is nice to build it yourself if you are looking for a good quality 220 to 110 converter. You don't have to worry about the 60Hz requirement, 'coz your xbox runs of DC.

Recently i have build one myself for my Sherwood Stereo Receiver brought from US. The one i build was using a step down transformer (220v to 110v) capable of delivering 1000W. Cost around 2300 Rs for the transformer alone.

I brought a small inverter enclosure (metal) and assembled it inside that. One the back of the enclosure i put a universal AC socket (Havells) to take the out put. For connecting the AC input i have used the socket from one of my old PC SMPS and fixed it on the back of the enclosure. Both the input and out put lines goes through fuse. That's it.....

Please let me know if u need further help......

Bibin

Last week, I bought a 250W step-down transformer (OSWAL brand) for the XBOX 360 that my brother sent from US. The unit cost Rs 900/- and works great. Had a 4-hour continuous session on Sunday and the unit didn't even get warm. Nicely built and has decent weight to it.

I am sure you can build a much higher quality one if you go the DIY way but, IMO, it is not worth the time & effort just for the XBOX - unless you plan on using it for other US equipment too. In that case you are better off building a 1KW unit with isolation transformer.

The shop also carried a HEC unit (Voltage Converter 250 Watt 220V to 110V 250watt 250w | eBay) which looked and felt the same, and same cost too. But the seller said no warranty with the HEC unit and a 1-week replacement with the OSWAL, hence took the OSWAL.

FYI, he also had the 500W OSWAL for RS 1,450. Also, I dropped by the local MX-Zone and had a look at their 500W step-down. Man was it heavy - if transformer quality is directly proportional to weight, then the MX one must be up there among the best. The MRP was 3,000 but the dealer's final price was Rs 1,800. Couldn't find the Maxine brand (supposed to be the best) anywhere in my local stores - but it is available on eBay if you are interested - http://www.ebay.in/itm/260931510460. MX also gives 1-year warranty on its transformer, not sure about Maxine.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back