Building a 3-way TL speaker

Finally after lots of research and combinations ordered the SB Acoustics, Satori Beryllium tweeters. They should be delivered soon as they are on stock with the dealer. Inital simulation showed they matched quite well with the Satori mid-range.
Is this the tweeter ?

SB29BAC-C000-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you source them and how much did they cost?
diyaudioparts.com prices have decreased from what i have bought 6 months ago.

This week i did a critical analysis of the step response in post # 97 and was wondering if they are accurate. This led me to countless simulation, measurements and tweak to get the perfect right triangle. I added/subtracted delay, worked on the wires, change crossover filter types, offset the drivers and added a backward tilt to the baffle to get a response that is acceptable.

FM @prem and @mpw are planning listen session tomorrow evening and post their listening impression i shall share the final outcome / graphs of my effort for past 9 months. I don't intend to bias their subjective listening based on these objective measurements. But the objective measurements is now different from post # 97.

diyaudioparts.com prices have decreased from what i have bought 6 months ago.

This week i did a critical analysis of the step response in post # 97 and was wondering if they are accurate. This led me to countless simulation, measurements and tweak to get the perfect right triangle. I added/subtracted delay, worked on the wires, change crossover filter types, offset the drivers and added a backward tilt to the baffle to get a response that is acceptable.

FM @prem and @mpw are planning listen session tomorrow evening and post their listening impression i shall share the final outcome / graphs of my effort for past 9 months. I don't intend to bias their subjective listening based on these objective measurements. But the objective measurements is now different from post # 97.
So how did it go? Sorry I could not attend. :)

Hi all...

Just to give a conclusion to this post, the speakers have been delivered to a generous forum member in hyderabad who was willing to accommodate them, till i return back to India. And they are presently under going break in.IMG-20200323-WA0002.jpgIMG-20200323-WA0002.jpgIMG-20200323-WA0006.jpg Will post my listening impressions once Iam back. Thanks for reading :)

Edit: Forgot to add that they are also sounding very good straight out of the box. But expect improvements as the drivers and crossovers break in. They will probably break in by the time I return post corona pandemic. Will post my listening impressions once back in the familiarity of my room and my kit.

Last edited:
Hi all :)

Guess this thread was started in Aug 2019. Though the plan for the speakers was hatched sometime in July 2019. The speakers were delivered to my friend in hyderabd in March 2020, owing to several delays in importing required components. And finally i got them here this Friday :D

( took 4 mutton biryani fed hyderabadi's to lift them cursing me under their breath :D )

Took me 3 days to temper my excitement and happiness with the sonic result to give a meaning full closure to this long running thread. Thanks to everyone who evinced an interest in this build and followed this thread.

For those who like a quick fix :D - the krypton speakers ( this is the name by which hari sir of this parish likes to call them ) blow my previous speakers out of the window in the first minute of listening. So that is the short and full of this review :)

Some quick pics are also below :)

IMG-20200813-WA0088.jpgIMG-20200813-WA0089.jpg

The above pic shows the size dissimilarity between the krypton speakers and my white Qacoustics concept 40's and my PMC twenty 26 speakers in brown ( amarone )

And below is the system where they are presently singing beautifully, though it is still a work in progress. As there will be one more tube amp added in the mix.

IMG-20200813-WA0088.jpgIMG-20200813-WA0089.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0096.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0095.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0097.jpg

So that's the shortest answer in brief :)

Now coming to the why and how of things for those who have the time . My last review in this parish was of the parasound hint, that I posted in May 2018

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/rotm-award-may-2018-parasound-halo-integrated.70229/

For me that was a big jump in sound quality as I was coming from a all in one streamer cum amp, and a AVR. The sudden jump in SQ got me over the cloud. And I was delighted typing every word of that review. Then subsequently I went through several kit and exotic cum expensive snake oil cables too :D ( how silly of me...please don't press reply now and start a cable war :D )

Most of what I went through ( devialet, krell, esoteric, T+A, AMR ) were some times more a sideways step than an outright convincing upgrade. Not to say they didn't improve upon things, but the price to performance improvements were heart quenching. Suddenly it dawned upon me that I was playing only on the amplification and source side of things. I had forgotten my speakers completely. So I decided to now try and improve the transducers in the audio chain, which actually play the most decisive role in audio reproduction.

Hence, I started a speaker thread. I had in the interim listened to lots of systems of my generous hyderabadi friends. So I knew which part of what system or speaker I liked the most. So I had a definite picture of sound presentation etched into my head now . And then started the conversations about speaker options to fit my sound. I probably started looking at a budget of 5L, mostly focused on the new kef R5 or R7 range.. But nothing was definite as we all have our own hearing tastes, and one man's nectar is another's poison. Then somewhere during that thread @prem suggested that if I knew what sound I wanted, then I can go DIY with some knowledgeable FM's who have experience of building speakers. And he suggested hari iyyer sir ...whom I would hence forth refer to as HS ( hari sir...what I usually call him :) )

So the conversation stated from my side. And a bit of flash back now :)

When I was in my previous residence, one of our members @iblasto had dropped in for a listen to my system. Those were still early days for me in this hobby. And after listening to my non optimal setup, he invited me home for a listen. He had some active Yamaha speakers, which were short but fat. They had massive drivers and running fully active. He was only feeding them via a dac with volume control via xkr. The sound left a lasting impression on me. The scale, ease and weight to the sound were beautiful. So I decided that my next speaker would be with big drivers in a big cabinet and with the possibility to run active when I choose so.

Now coming back to July 2019 :)

I messaged HS requesting to undertake a speaker build for me, with a large cabinet with the emotional connect I wanted on vocals. He was a little hesitant as the call came out of blue from abroad :D, and from a certain newlash09, he has never heard of . The rest is history.

So after May 2018, Iam writing my second review ever , as these speakers are my next jump in sound quality. Huge scale, imaging, bass, Sweet mid range vocals and treble with the kind of heft and weight I was not used to. Excellent instrument separation and layering too. Easily the best sound I've ever had in my room by a very wide margin.

But the speakers are not yet at their optimal performance. I have them placed on wobbly stands designed to carry washing machines which are shaking at the very touch. Solid tight bass needs a solid foundation. So Iam designing my own stands to get them cnc'ed for better bass. I can't forego the wheels as my system is in my daughter's room and I have to wheel the speakers to my parents room before I leave on my next assignment again.

The colour combination of red and white was my pick...though my daughter seems to dislike it. So will get going now to wrap them up to a different shade.

So all in all...Iam gobsmacked at the lovely sweet sound Iam getting now. And before you chaps run off...let me open another surprise again :D

The mind blowing sound quality I have is from a CCA, feeding a cheap Dspeaker antimode dac cum dsp. And Iam only playing gaana :D

My usual chain is more highly regarded as it is in my signature. But these speakers even after the unfair deal doled out to them thrash my previous speakers being fed by better kit.

An other surprise will be that Iam using the supplied cables by HS for the entire chain. And Iam still gobsmacked. So thanks for reading th is long post of mine if you've reached this far :)

Mod's Note: merged with the older thread on the same speakers from Here
Easily done at my place actually 😜😜... Iam using hari sirs speakers, and they mop the floor with my more expensive PMC's. Hell I even heard some 20L avalon indra speakers in a one crore system. And they were no match either. So each to his own, when it comes to judging what floats your boat sound wise.

But that said, I will post a pic of the internal wiring of my speaker.

20211207_125842.jpg

As is evident.. A lot of effort has been expended even on the internal wiring. No noodle thin cables used here. And I have noodle thin cheap cables inside my pmc twenty 26 as well as the qacoustics concept 40's that I have.

As we say that the prrof of the pudding is in actually listening 😜😜... So let me post another pic 😝😝

IMG-20221103-WA0010.jpeg
That is the cabling I presently have at the back, as the crossover is external to the cabinet.. But the original cabling was also done by hari sir.And that was the first time ever that I saw left and right cables being of different width. He did mention something about how the return path has to be easier for the current, But iam too dumb at these things πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

For a comparison, I replaced the cables from my external crossover as under mentioned :

Tweeter - high end master class - mrp 1.8L, only made on order.. And usually used for demo of ascendo speakers.

Mid range - silitech classic 550i gold / silver cables. - mrp 2.5 L

After plugging the above two.. The delta of uplift in performance, as compared to hari sirs cables was so small, that I decided to stick with the bass cables made by hari sir 😁.

So that's my 2 cents there 😜😜.... Maybe the talk of time alignment has ruffled a lot of feathers, And as I mentioned before, and as is there in my signature below, iam mostly too dumb to talk scientific knowledge. But iam over the moon with everything built by hari sir, Yes including the cabling too😝

We can debate endlessly based on theory, but listening is where it. matters.

And that's my blissful sounding setup below 😍😍

IMG-20221002-WA0013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Easily done at my place actually 😜😜... Iam using hari sirs speakers, and they mop the floor with my more expensive PMC's. Hell I even heard some 20L avalon indra speakers in a one crore system. And they were no match either. So each to his own, when it comes to judging what floats your boat sound wise.

View attachment 73151

As is evident.. A lot of effort has been expended even on the internal wiring. No noodle thin cables used here. And I have noodle thin cheap cables inside my pmc twenty 26 as well as the qacoustics concept 40's that I have.

As we say that the prrof of the pudding is in actually listening 😜😜... So let me post another pic 😝😝

View attachment 73152
That is the cabling I presently have at the back, as the crossover is external to the cabinet.. But the original cabling was also done by hari sir.And that was the first time ever that I saw left and right cables being of different width. He did mention something about how the return path has to be easier for the current, But iam too dumb at these things πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

For a comparison, I replaced the cables from my external crossover as under mentioned :

Tweeter - high end master class - mrp 1.8L, only made on order.. And usually used for demo of ascendo speakers.

After plugging the above two.. The delta of uplift in performance, as compared to hari sirs cables was so small, that I decided to stick with the bass cables made by hari sir 😁.

So that's my 2 cents there 😜😜.... Maybe the talk of time alignment has ruffled a lot of feathers, And as I mentioned before, and as is there in my signature below, iam mostly too dumb to talk scientific knowledge. But iam over the moon with everything built by hari sir, Yes including the cabling too😝

View attachment 73153View attachment 73153
Every Home has a Puja Room . Very Few may count this as One.

View attachment 73151

View attachment 73152

View attachment 73153View attachment 73153
I was lucky enough to demo these speakers @hari's just days before it was enroute to you. Amazing indeed... Soothing to the core.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back