Building a near perfect HTPC !

Also want to check :
- will I need to load a bios (I have no idea how to do it) ?
- do I need to set jumpers/switches on the motherboard ?
- do I need to buy fans/heatsink and glue onto the CPU
- do I need to buy fans for the case ?
- do I need any tools other than a screwdriver ?
Please google for 'building a PC,' 'DIY PC.' etc. Read two or three of the articles that you find there. In fact, study them.

None of us know so much that we cannot learn by sometimes going back to basics. I have 20 years experience in IT management; I have tinkered with PCs and much larger servers; I have added, or removed/replaced almost every component over those years. Somehow, it just happens that, before last year, I never actually built a whole machine from components. I started with that Google search!

Building a PC is not difficult (choosing the components is the worst part!). It is much, much easier than putting a shelf on a wall. You just need to be aware of some things, take some precautions (static, etc, not to mention protecting yourself from electricity) and get things done in the right order.

Having read the articles, pick one and follow its procedures. Before you do that, check out the manuals that will come (make sure they do) with motherboard, cpu+heatsink, etc, and follow those instructions. Use the diagram/list of connectors in the motherboard manual as a checklist, and tick them off as you go.

Building an HTPC may be more fiddly. If you have a neat, small case, there will be less room to work --- but all principles will be the same.

Last edited:
What else do I need ?

Also want to check :
- will I need to load a bios (I have no idea how to do it) ?
- do I need to set jumpers/switches on the motherboard ?
- do I need to buy fans/heatsink and glue onto the CPU
- do I need to buy fans for the case ?
- do I need any tools other than a screwdriver ?

Any help / suggestions most welcome..

OMG!! Get a friend to assemble it for you while you watch ( some people like to do it while others are watching) :rolleyes: ;)

Take him to the market when you shop for components.

After watching one build you will find the effort of reading and research on the net less daunting and difficult.

--G

For video playback rig like an HTPC: HDDs are better than SSD.

I don't plan to store any media on the SSD. As mentioned, I have a Buffalo NAS with 6 TBs of storage which holds all my media. The SSD is for quick bootup.

I recently added a SSD to my home PC. Startup is super fast now.

^^ A home PC is something else and has lots of applications and other stuff that loads. HTPC ideally has just the OS and Media Center Application, heck infact one can just opt to load media center avoiding the OS altogether. In that case the boot up time is more or less same.
You can test if you want, do a fresh install of windows and just load XBMC. Note the boot time, there would hardly be any major difference between your HTPC and home PC with SSD.
Its when you start to load other applications/softwares on the OS that SSD shines, as it can load multiple applications in super fast time..
And BTW this is not some theoretical suggestion. I also do own an 80GB SSD (Intel X-25M) in my Home PC.........:)

^^ A home PC is something else and has lots of applications and other stuff that loads. HTPC ideally has just the OS and Media Center Application, heck infact one can just opt to load media center avoiding the OS altogether. In that case the boot up time is more or less same.
You can test if you want, do a fresh install of windows and just load XBMC. Note the boot time, there would hardly be any major difference between your HTPC and home PC with SSD.
Its when you start to load other applications/softwares on the OS that SSD shines, as it can load multiple applications in super fast time..
And BTW this is not some theoretical suggestion. I also do own an 80GB SSD (Intel X-25M) in my Home PC.........:)

Tks - thats very useful info.

Tks to all that responded so helpfully to my query.
Looks like this is doable even for me.

Graphics card major Galaxy Technology designed a new GeForce GTX 550 Ti based graphics card that is HQV (Hollywood Quality Video) compliant, and packs a professional-grade hardware display processor (that which handles the actual display functions, while the GTX 550 Ti crunches graphics and performs drawing operations). The third-party display processor used was previously found only on professional graphics cards priced upwards of US $1000, and available only to the production industry.

The card works with the GPU, the GTX 550 Ti, handling all the drawing functions (rendering 3D and 2D frames), while the display processor handles the display functions, of generating analog and digital output via a plethora of display connectivity options including HDMI 1.4a. The result is ultra high video fidelity, the way the producers meant their production to be.

23a.jpg

For Perfect HTPC :yahoo:

Tks - thats very useful info.

Tks to all that responded so helpfully to my query.
Looks like this is doable even for me.

Going by your queries, it is not. Get a friend to do it and watch. Or have it assembled in front of you in the shop.

--G

Wrong this card is made specially for HTPC use.Do you know what is HQV Vida if not please google it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20584858

errrr well any GPU can be used fo an HTPC, does not mean it IS meant for HTPC.

The Silicon Optix Emmy award winning HQV video processing technology enables the sharpest and most detailed HD images possible by utilizing features such as true 1080i-to-1080p HD deinterlacing, and a sophisticated multi-directional diagonal filter that ensures video free from jagged edges. HQV technology also enables SD material to approach HD quality by employing advanced scaling, per-pixel detail enhancement, and noise reduction technology that removes noise and artifacts caused by compression.

Tell me what better detailed image a hardware can give than a dedicated high end BD Player. I have seen movies on OPPO and Pana BD bluray players and the image quality is exactly the same if I play the ripped ISO via my HTPC with a mid level GPU .......

Yes this might be use full when you work on animation and do all sorts of rendering and walk troughs, but merely for playback of MKVs and BDs ...... aint worth.

Last edited:
Friends,

I am planning to change the cabinet for my HTPC as its currently a big cabinet due to which its lying on the floor in my hall.. and making it look messy.

Thought of changing the cabinet to a smaller i.e close to 13 inches in height and depth however seems like i cant do that unless i change my mobo as well.. as i have "Intel C2D + intel 965 mobo + HD 5570 based HTPC"

I have liked one of the Cabinet considered by OP for his built .. which is " CFI Cube "

I have two questions and wish to get answers for same with your help :

1) Can I remove the PSU that comes with the proposed cabinet and use my existing PSU which is around 400 - 500 watts? will my PSU fit in CFI Cube case?

2) Assuming which ever mobo i buy can accommodate my Graphics card.. will it be able to use it in CFI Cube or its height may pose some issue?

Regards,
Naren
Then i came across your Almost Perfect HTPC thread..and looked at the cases you had considered.. seem like CFI cube will be perfect for me and is also not too expensive.. however i may have to change the mobo to mini ATX...

Now i have one question for you.. i have Radeon 4850 vedio card.. and for that reason i had changed my psu to a 500 watt psu ( or may be 400 wats ) so i may want to use that psu even in the CFI Cube ( if i am buying it)

Is it possible to remove the psu that comes with the CFI Cube and replace it my PSU that i am using currently ( the one with 400 or 500 watts)

I am not sure if PSUs come in different sizes, hence this question.

Also do you have any other VFM solution for me in mind? if so please do share that as well..

Thanks for your help in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Naren

Few points to note :

1. CFI cube comes with a low profile 150watt PSU, you cannot fit a regular psu to this.

2. Most cabinets that are smaller in height (Recently got a Silverstone ML-03) will only accommodate graphics card of half height. Regular PCI/x cards will not work.

3. What you have is almost a gaming setup with a 500wpsu and a 4850 which generates lots of heat. If you go for a smaller cabinet, the heat buildup will be high. Airflow will be hampered in smaller cases, so you might want to reconsider.

4. PSU does come in smaller sizes, but not from good brands.

5. Finally the Silverstone SG02 is a small cabinet that will take a regular PSU and take normal graphic cards. I bought one from PrimeABGB 2 years back, not sure where it is available now.

Friends,

I am planning to change the cabinet for my HTPC as its currently a big cabinet due to which its lying on the floor in my hall.. and making it look messy.

Thought of changing the cabinet to a smaller i.e close to 13 inches in height and depth however seems like i cant do that unless i change my mobo as well.. as i have "Intel C2D + intel 965 mobo + HD 5570 based HTPC"

I have liked one of the Cabinet considered by OP for his built .. which is " CFI Cube "

I have two questions and wish to get answers for same with your help :

1) Can I remove the PSU that comes with the proposed cabinet and use my existing PSU which is around 400 - 500 watts? will my PSU fit in CFI Cube case?

2) Assuming which ever mobo i buy can accommodate my Graphics card.. will it be able to use it in CFI Cube or its height may pose some issue?

Regards,
Naren
Then i came across your Almost Perfect HTPC thread..and looked at the cases you had considered.. seem like CFI cube will be perfect for me and is also not too expensive.. however i may have to change the mobo to mini ATX...

Now i have one question for you.. i have Radeon 4850 vedio card.. and for that reason i had changed my psu to a 500 watt psu ( or may be 400 wats ) so i may want to use that psu even in the CFI Cube ( if i am buying it)

Is it possible to remove the psu that comes with the CFI Cube and replace it my PSU that i am using currently ( the one with 400 or 500 watts)

I am not sure if PSUs come in different sizes, hence this question.

Also do you have any other VFM solution for me in mind? if so please do share that as well..

Thanks for your help in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Naren

Hey Buddy,

Thanks a ton for the prompt reply, it was very helpful..

I guess Cube wont work for me.. and i will google for the silverstone cabinet suggested by you which wont be inexpensive..

Do you have any other similar option in mind... anything say below 2K INR... Looks are not important as it will be in a dwawer / shelf and wont be visible when not running.

regards,
Naren

2. Most cabinets that are smaller in height (Recently got a Silverstone ML-03) will only accommodate graphics card of half height. Regular PCI/x cards will not work.

Hi vinayaga,

Where did you get the Silverstone ML-03 case? Even I was looking at that case for my music-pc and I found a good deal on Theitdepot - India's First IT Online Shopping Store at 4k odd seems to be half price compared to the ebay where this item is being procured from US hence the price is high.

Thanks

The silverstone ml03 is out of stock. Three months back I ordered one in primeabgb and they didn't ship it for a week. They kept delaying the shipping saying that it will be shipped today, tomorrow and atlast that they can't ship to my location. I requested a refund. After making the refund, they quickly removed the listing from their website and ebay store.

ML03 is a very good htpc cabinet, but there are restrictions like the SMPS length should not be more than 140mm, supports only low profile card etc.

The silverstone ml03 is out of stock. Three months back I ordered one in primeabgb and they didn't ship it for a week. They kept delaying the shipping saying that it will be shipped today, tomorrow and atlast that they can't ship to my location. I requested a refund. After making the refund, they quickly removed the listing from their website and ebay store.

ML03 is a very good htpc cabinet, but there are restrictions like the SMPS length should not be more than 140mm, supports only low profile card etc.

Thanks baiju..

Even I saw the listing last week in itdepot but this week it is out of stock. The price in itdepot seems reasonable going by the online reviews. Yes I saw the Youtube video of the review of this case, and I think it is perfect for my music-pc as I have only the micro-atx mobo and a low profile LAN card which can be easily accommodated in the case. I have the coolermaster 350w PSU and I hope it can be accommodated.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back