Building my dedicated Home Theater - An unfinished saga

hi sam,nice ht build of yours,one question you have used thermocol for ceiling
dont they vibrate with low freq...

2.what type of material you have used for wall carpet and thickness.

thanks
r/s.

Its not thermacole, its Armstrong ceiling. wall carpet material I am not sure how to define, I just went to my local wall carpet shop and selected what I found best fit for the room under my budget. Thickness is not more than half a CM. Nothing vibrates, no ceiling, door or equipment rack, only my recliner which I feel ..:D

^^ Buy locally,(within india), too much of extra wast of bucks ....

Contacts would be welcome

I would rather leave it to you to search my HT thread :D as even I dont remember where I purchased it from, but its somewhere mentioned in my HT thread ...:)

I would rather leave it to you to search my HT thread :D as even I dont remember where I purchased it from, but its somewhere mentioned in my HT thread ...:)
If I remember your thread right, you picked up from someone local to Delhi, so doesnt help me :)

My designer is suggesting a wooden empanellment around the fixed frame of the screen to make the look uniform. Any views on the same? Also, is it OK to use mdf for the same or solid wood.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Also, wanted to check on ceiling tiles. Gypsum costs around 90 per sqft, Armstrong around 120 and the acoustic tiles from Armstrong is 135.is it worth it?. Since the room is small the difference is not much in absolute terms.

If I remember your thread right, you picked up from someone local to Delhi, so doesnt help me :)

yes delhi, but he will ship and shipping will still be much less than any other option from abroad.

YSnuMQN.png

Let me know some better design options. I think the wall panel will not be very good acoustically and it will also reflect. So need other options.

I am taking care of the following in my room

1. Its in the basement with no windows so no leakage.
2. I am keeping most if not everything black or dark so there are no reflections.
3. Ceilings I am planning to use Armstrong acoustic tiles and paint it black.
4. Planning a thick rug for the floor
5. Building a fixed frame for the screen with 120 dia and a screen gain of 1.1

While I know I need bass traps and absorption panels in the first reflection points as well as diffusors near the screen as well as the back panel. However, these appear quite expensive and I would want to do this over a period of time once I measure the room with my equipment.

Is there any advise from the acoustic as well as from an aesthetic perspective like the right amount of light (Cove lights/star lights...)

A wall panel will be a reflective surface. Rather put absorptive material all around the screen and cover with cloth. That will make your front sound stage clean & clear.

About acoustic tiles, Gypsum are fine. If you put some absorption material above the gypsum, it will help even better. The acoustic tiles are quite thin, so they won't absorb much of mid/lower frequencies on their own.

By the, way, what is your speaker layout? Planning to do atmos/7.1?

I thought the area around the screen needs to be deflector type rather than absorber. However, since most of the wall would be covered by the screen, either would not be very effective.

I currently have a 5.1 setup. Not planning for an atmos setup, but will check if I need to make some special provisions for future.

I will be keeping the surrounds on the long wall next to the seating space rather than to the back wall, as I think they will be better in terms of effects. When I make it 7.1, I can look at keeping at the back.

For the floor, plan to use a thick rug.

Your screen is a fabric sort of material. Even if its not acoustic transparent, it will still vibrate and dampen the sound. A wood panel on other hand is solid and will reflect everything.

Thanks to your advise, cancelled the wall panel.

I still need something for the lighting so will have a ceiling cove lighting.

The ceiling tiles if its of gypsum, can i re-inforce them with polyster wadding of 1000 to 2000 GSM instead of rockwool? This will be safe and I believe it will atleast absorb the mid-frequencies.

Last edited:
I think you will have to decide based on how much weight the suspended ceiling frames can take. If those can, then go ahead and add it.

I think you will have to decide based on how much weight the suspended ceiling frames can take. If those can, then go ahead and add it.
Thanks. I re-read on glasswool and found that it has been removed from the list of carcinogens. Although it causes itching while using with bare hands. So will that be better?

I have used glasswool. yes, it itches if skin comes in contact with it. Use long gloves while handling. And wrap it in cloth all around so no strands are loose. Have been using like this for last 6 years.

Found Perforated Gypsum a bit hard to find. Also, the jury seems out as a lot of people are advising that gypsum is good for sound isolation and not absorption and can crack on long usage.

The other option was to use particle boards that are perforated and back with glasswool (similar to Santhosh's HT).

The last option was to go to ready acoustic tiles from Armstrong and Anutone.

After a lot of effort (from HQ to retailer to their sales head), I finally managed to track Anutone and reach out to a person who was actually responsive.

So looking at http://www.anutone.com/productceiling/subtexebony

The tiles are with a glassfibre core and are at 110/sqft so seem reasonable when even gypsum would come to 85. Also, there would be a cost of their install accessories, but my room is small, so the absolute costs wont be too high.

Let me know your views.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back