Burning DVD+R DL

nitinbose

Hi Friends,

I'm trying to archive some of my DVD movies. However when I try to burn them on DVD+R dl, the burn process often fails. I use imgburn to burn the dvds and specify the layer break myself, but 3 of 5 attempts results in a failed burn :sad:

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?

regards,

Nitin.

Hi,

If you are trying to copying it directly from DVD to DVD, there are possibilities that your original DVD might be damaged, still can be played but cannot be copied. If this happens when you are trying to burn an image stored in your HDD, then there is something to do with your DVD writer, especially its lens, given the media used for writing is good.

If you can be more specific, I can help you better.

Cheers!

Well I faced same prob with my new HP DL-wr.I lost 3 moser DL DVD-R.
Earlier Sony DVD-RW DRU820 had no issues.Looking to replace lens.

I did copy on HDD & then tried copied,but in vain.i cld finish 1 Disc,but failed before finalising & now DVD-rom read it but not old DVDp,new Philips did.

Hi,

I make the image of the DVD and i also get a file which would have the layer break info.

I then enter layer break info in the imgburn software. However, i get errors such as fixation, error in closing etc., and often the verification fails.

The DVD plays well, except for the occasional freezes in video. :(

Funny enough, when i use handbrake to convert the dvd image to mkv or ipod formats, handbrake hangs as well... though I can play the dvd image very well on the computer.

regards,

Nitin.

Make sure that you're using the latest firmware for your drives. sometimes blank DVD vendors will source their DVDs from different manufacturers and that is known to cause problems. Drive manufactures usually take care of these incompatibilities with FW updates

Also, some DVD drives are just plain terrible. I used to have many problems with my older Asus drive (more coasters than burned discs), but my Sony drive has been pretty good, so far.

Hi,

I do have a Sony DVD Re-Writer drive with the latest firmware, but sometimes this does happen. Have you tried burning DLs, if yes, how many and what's the success rate?

regards,

Nitin.

Use Verbatim instead of Moser Baer, they are much more reliable. After having switched to Verbatim, I haven't looked back at MB. Also Nero burns the DL DVD's flawlessly without specifying layer breaks. I have burnt an 8 GB iso file and it turned out pretty well.

Use Verbatim as Metalbandit suggested. But i would say Imgburn is better than Nero anyday.

I have written 50+ DVD Dual layer discs[verbatim @ 8x] using Imgburn without any issues.

Earlier i used Nero and the success rate was only 50%.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi,

I do have a Sony DVD Re-Writer drive with the latest firmware, but sometimes this does happen. Have you tried burning DLs, if yes, how many and what's the success rate?

regards,

Nitin.

Well Nitin,

It depends on how I break it down.

For data, I use only blank Sony -R SL DVD media and I've never ever had a problem with any those, either during read or write.

For movie burning, I've had problems with 5-8 Max out of 90 - 100+ discs SL discs. Mostly problems with Moser Bayer and Maxell blank media. I've never had problems with Mitsubishi, Ridata, Verbatim or Sony (Green/Red) media.

The problems that I had on the 5-8 duds occurred during playback on my Sony DVD player which would not play those without severe stuttering. Strange thing is that most have played properly on the computer even though they showed up with errors during the verification stage of burning.

For DLs, I've done about 30+ movies and have had stuttering problems on maximum 2 which were from Moser Bayer (what else did you expect? ;) ). The third Moser Bayer worked when I lowered the burn speed down to 4X. I usually use Mitsubishi, Verbatim or Ridata media to burn DL DVDs - although almost all of these were on 2.4x media. It's what my vendor has and I don't face any problems with them at all, so I feel no need to experiment with other media.

Always verify your DVD burns.

BTW, I use Nero for 99% of my DVD burns. Have just started using ImgBurn as I'm doing some experimentation using AVCHD and BDMV on DVD media.

Last edited:
here are a few tips for burning cd/dvd etc in general.

1. dont burn at full speed. if the writer can do max 16x, do it at either 8 or 4.
2. use good quality media.
3. shutdown all the programs, downloads, browsers etc... while burning is going on, dont do anything on the computer, just leave it alone. logout all other users.
4. switch on the "verify disc after burning" mode.

here are a few tips for burning cd/dvd etc in general.

1. dont burn at full speed. if the writer can do max 16x, do it at either 8 or 4.
2. use good quality media.
3. shutdown all the programs, downloads, browsers etc... while burning is going on, dont do anything on the computer, just leave it alone. logout all other users.
4. switch on the "verify disc after burning" mode.

Well said, and one more point is try to write audio cds in CD drive instead of dvd drive. (almost very hard to get old cd drive)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back