buy bose or not!!! help!!!!!!!

gullurathi

I am planning to buy new home theatre for my new house... i have budget of nearly 150k... i m confused wht to buy and wht not to... as such i was planning to buy bose life style 28 but after reading reviews on many sites i felt like i m not buying something worth to money.... so pls helf me over this..

Bose no way my friend...

What's your listening preference in terms of music/movies and what kind of music/movies do you listen to/watch?

Start with the new range of Yamaha AVRs, 663 or even 863. They would be ranging from 50K to 80K or thereabouts. That will leave ample budget for the rest like speakers, cables, etc.

Let us know what are your listening preferences, but my vote is for the Yamahas. They are great in terms of performance.

I am planning to buy new home theatre for my new house... i have budget of nearly 150k... i m confused wht to buy and wht not to... as such i was planning to buy bose life style 28 but after reading reviews on many sites i felt like i m not buying something worth to money.... so pls helf me over this..

Hey Buddy

Welcome to the Forum...!!!

Bro, i can understand by the city Surat, that as all when you see bose all
around your mind says, that nothings better than this system...
But, as you already had experienced with the reviews, the Bose is a Lifestyle system...
By Lifestlye system, you mean, which sells just for the ambience sake, and are mostly used in commercials like Restaurants and all, even in those places they fail.
Anyways...

Buddy, while considering a Home Theatre, there are many things, that needs to be concerned.. Its not a box selling product as it seems to be, where it requires a lot of workouts to be done...
Please let us know the following :
1). Room Size (LxBxH) in fts :
2). Whether Dedicated Room : (Yes or No)
3). Your Main Use of HT : (Music / Movies / Both)
4). What Kind of speakers : (Floor Standers / Bookshelves)
5). Budget inclusive of : (HT Only or HT with Video)
6). If with Video then the bifocation :
7). Is your House under construction (For Cables) : (Yes or No)
8). If Possible the drawing of the HT...

All the above makes difference, in selection and installation of your HT, because once you ignore any of those, you may not get what you are looking for...

So please help us with the same, we can provide you a solution to you...

Thanks

Mridul

NO

Thats a great budget you have you can go to Bombay and listen to some of the other great speakers which are available you will never feel like spending this much on Bose again once you have a listen.

ANYTHING but BOSE!!

any option ,,,depending on yr budget you can look at various
av receviers like yamaha, denon, marantz, rotel, pioneer...

speakers - Wharfedale, Quad, mission, psb, b & w, mordant short,tannoy,dali, etc

come to mumbai, you can get to see most options with Priyesh at lakozy or Gratin at boomerang

I am planning to buy new home theatre for my new house... i have budget of nearly 150k...

You have a pretty decent budget, do not waste it on just a Lifestyle product, demand and expect some performance out of it as well, in other words DO NOT consider Bose,

having said that, specifying your requirements in a bit more detail as suggested by Mridulgoel would ensure that this forum full of gurus is able to help you. Trust me the forum will have a solution for you, it had for me and Im pretty satisfied :)

Cheers

Danccc

For looks, simplicity & convenience - Yes
For everything else - No

My suggestion - Stay away as far as possible.

Last edited:
Another big NO to add to all the above. And this is from an owner of a Bose speaker system. You can do much better in half the budget.

Another big NO to add to all the above. And this is from an owner of a Bose speaker system. You can do much better in half the budget.

Hey an ex-Bose user myself...

BTW just wondering what would anyone from Bose think of this thread. We guys are reducing their business or what??? Still a lot of people do fall for Bose and end up purchasing Bose products sad to say.

Re: buy bose or not!!! help!!!!!!! a different take

I had once auditioned Bose (years back)in there showroom and i liked the concept of stereo everywhere which should be the case with other speakers, unless you sit in the sweetspot you dont get stereo, in the case of Bose your sweetspot is where ever you like to sit.
Now what ever speakers we buy the room in which its placed plays as important role as the speakers, may be a person who has compared bose and others as ABX will be better judge, but wait again the room in which the test was conducted was more suitable for other speakers than may be bose or preconceptions that bose is bad sound would have worked subconcious and rejected bose.
May be the take would have been different if bose would have been transprent with specifications, or i once read in HiFi indian mag that they had to buy sony lcd to do a group test with other lcds in the same simillar manner the mag can buy or borrow from any owner of bose system who would be glad enough to give his system for test and then test it and publish the specs this way it will give a clear window.
My suggestions or even request to the forum members who are against Bose is please give in depth details as to why bose is bad in which areas (technical)it lacks. this way it will help other forum members to make a concrete buying decisions.

I had once auditioned Bose (years back)in there showroom and i liked the concept of stereo everywhere which should be the case with other speakers, unless you sit in the sweetspot you dont get stereo, in the case of Bose your sweetspot is where ever you like to sit.

My suggestions or even request to the forum members who are against Bose is please give in depth details as to why bose is bad in which areas (technical)it lacks. this way it will help other forum members to make a concrete buying decisions.

As you auditioned in the showroom, did you see any other brand speakers in the same setup? Also if you were to request a retailer even today to do A/B test, you would not get it unless the guy is clearly going against Bo$e recommendation.

I am against Bo$e for their low cost, high marketing and unethical practices that are aimed at duping gullible customers. Nothing against Marketers but its just not a fair comparison as they don't set or walk a level playing field.

Further details since you asked....

Bo$e Acoustimass has been a popular buy in the brand.
1. The bass module (which is not a sub) is specifically designed to work with their own cubes, much like an HTiB, however they aren't priced anywhere near it and these are marketed into the mid market price point.

2. The impedance of the speakers (cubes) is also fairly low so these are not paired well when directly connected to an AVR or through a regular sub unlike most other HTiBs whose speakers can be reused atleast by clipping the connectors.

Guess how much the repairs costs or options are if this system craps?

3. Ever read or heard anyone use a calibration disk in their systems?

4. Do you want to know why the midrange sounds muddy or almost non existent on various systems?

intellexual net

Last edited:

Value for money is something every sensible buyer looks for when buying any product Bose lacks VFM as simple as that for the same money you can get systems which perform a zillion times better. Thing is people in India rarely get to listen to other speakers costing the same money you or anyone would feel the difference then.

We buy speakers for sound quality and not good looks thats where Bose lacks.

You take a similary priced Bowers & Wilkins or PSB or Mordaunt Short or Monitor Audio speakers the difference between Bose and these are like night and day its that obvious.

Hi, before you decide to buy, check this

Is BOSE really good????

Last edited:
Hi, before you decide to buy, check this

Is BOSE really good????
After reading that link no-one, yes, no-one wud ever even think of buyin BOSE unless if they are the one who seeks WOW in just ownin the BOSE system instead of that WOW comin from the actual sound:eek:. Or for overly rich people those who don't care about Price-Performance ratio, all they wann is just a Beautie-Cuttie-Nottie sound system, then BOSE might the way to go:D.

Last edited:
I remember reading that way back in 2002 :) i think the product they are talking of does not exist now !

anyway bose is not for, and does not care about audiophiles. it is for the rest of the 99.9% of the population ! more for the sony/phillips mini compo upgraders !

I have a friend who has a bose. i auditioned my then JMR+Sugden system to him and he loved it. but still prefers his bose ! Size,and music in the background is what he prefers while i prefer active listening .

but he plays a mean guitar and is now learning the Bansuri (he is french) while I play squat !
so while all audiophile Love to hate bose...in fact many feel that praising bose is tatamount to banishment from audiophile-dom and vice versa, fact the we make up less than 1% of the population ...and have always have been.. although I hope our tribe increases

Arj,

Bose pro-audio gear is pretty good. Its their commerical offers that need the hose and all the opinionated discussions inherently refer to these systems. So it might not be of surprise if you friend may be using the pro gear. However if he is thrilled with commercial esp. as a musician, I would not jump on his records.

I remember reading that way back in 2002 :) i think the product they are talking of does not exist now !

anyway bose is not for, and does not care about audiophiles. it is for the rest of the 99.9% of the population ! more for the sony/phillips mini compo upgraders !

I have a friend who has a bose. i auditioned my then JMR+Sugden system to him and he loved it. but still prefers his bose ! Size,and music in the background is what he prefers while i prefer active listening .

but he plays a mean guitar and is now learning the Bansuri (he is french) while I play squat !
so while all audiophile Love to hate bose...in fact many feel that praising bose is tatamount to banishment from audiophile-dom and vice versa, fact the we make up less than 1% of the population ...and have always have been.. although I hope our tribe increases

Naah he uses one of the cubes systems !...still does. but then there are enough jazz bars in paris to frequent for good live music.

Last edited:
It sure is a lovely place there is music in every corner and it is beautiful in every season..
Sorry to go OT ;) but the point i was trying to make is Bose is not a great audiophile speaker (in fact is not even meant for audiophiles) but it is ideal for those for whom music is in the background, do not want large speakers their room and like to own a brand name...that makes up quite a large and sizeable population !!
room what I have seen from my friends..who do love music, they do not want real estate occupied by music equipment ...and if they do buy bose it is because they are moving up from Sony/Samsung etc HTiBs !!

last time i suggested energy or Polk HTiBs instead of Bose i was met with Brand-Scorn (Whats a Polk !)...in fact the only other option many would even consiuder are the wireless speakers from Sony !!

thats why I gave up....but then people do prefer an overpriced car like Honda City (Good but not worth the money) over much more value for money and better cars like the Baleno :rolleyes: and in a way they are not incorrect in their decision !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back