buy / shop music CD online in India

Will you buy CD DVD online at a store with convenient safe and huge collection?

• Total voters

swami

Hi,

I have browsed and searched. Somehow, I am unable to find the information that should, obviously, be available on this forum.

I am fond of music and do most of my shopping at the planetM stores. Lately, I have had this inclination of buying some CDs online. Firstly, as it is a convenient option; secondly, as some posts have suggested to go for audiophile/imported/reputed brands and purchase their CDs.

So, please provide me as much relevant details as you can. I would like to know online shop address and reliability to order both Indian and international music CDs. Your personal experience in obtaining and listening to your CDs from the seller. Also, my payment option would be either a debit card or an Indian credit card - everything in Indian Rupees.

Do let me know if you need any other clarity on my requirements.

Regards,
Swami

Thanks for responding to the survey, guys. But it seems the survey has acted more of a distraction than an additional feature :) .

I would request you to respond to my query in sincere will. Looking forward for help from all the members, who can.

Once again, I need to know where you do purchase music CDs online; what the payment modes are; how reliable the seller is; if you recommend me to buy from the same seller .... any additional information/comments from you :) .

Regards,
Swami

Swami,

Buying online in India at least is still a long way off. Most are afraid of credit card fraud or that the online retailers will not do a good job. From personal experience I can say I bought from Rediff many years ago and the quality of goods received was so substandard that I have not made any purchases online from India at least after that.

I have bought stuff from Amazon and had it shipped to friends/relatives in the U.S. who brought the items along when they came to India, but otherwise this is not an option to many (including myself) since international shipping is expensive.

Music sales themselves have come down big time in the last decade or so and most are content with mp3s/ripped music available on the internet for free instead of spending money and buying stuff. Also, digital sales have become more popular in recent times instead of physical sales (iTunes being the best example) where people will buy stuff that can be downloaded and not physically transported (I guess patience is still not a virtue) once again examples being mp3 instead of audio CD or an ebook instead of the physical book.

An audio CD is (at least in these times) only important in the context of an audiophile and that too an audiophile who is willing to spend good money for the sake of quality and honestly very few such people exist (few when you consider their number in the context of 6 billion people on planet earth). I can tell you it is an expensive proposition in the overall context. I have bought CDs for Rs. 400-500 (which is quite a lot from a middle class family's perspective even for 2 CDs being bought a month) and then had instances where my CD player broke down and even a decent CDP costs quite a packet these days so my audio CD collection was redundant till a CDP came into the equation yet again adding to expenses. Honestly very few will want to spend this kind of money and will instead choose to d/l from the internet and compromise a bit on quality.

Finally, Planet M, Music World are still the best sources at least in the Indian context, but you can explore ebay (I cannot vouch for it since I have not bought anything on it/from it).

I prefer the quality of CD sound on my HT. But when I am on travel I listed to ripped music on my ipod or when exercising. All these are ripped from my CDs. I usually buy a bunch of MP3s from national market in bangalore but its so so.

I guess I am old fashioned as I still prefer to read real books / news papers than online editions.

Any idea if they stock/sell DTS DVDs both Indian and International?

I'd bet they do. They have a HUGE collection of movies and music at their stores and if a movie is available in DTS version, I think they would have it. Let me know what movies you have in mind and I'll check them the next time I go there...

Last edited:
I'd bet they do. They have a HUGE collection of movies and music at their stores and if a movie is available in DTS version, I think they would have it. Let me know what movies you have in mind and I'll check them the next time I go there...

Lord Of The Rings series and The Bourne series for starters. Also, any info on shipping costs?

Thanks a ton!!!

Lord Of The Rings series and The Bourne series for starters. Also, any info on shipping costs?

Thanks a ton!!!

You should be able to check the shipping costs from their website. My guess was that if they have something in their store, it would be available online as well...

P.S: They have the best collection of concert DVD's I've seen in India, if you're interested...

I got some CDs from Indiaplaza.in (formerly fabmall.com) and I had a nice experience .Their customer support was good, the shipping was done on time and the CDs were nicely packed.I shop online only when I am not able to find some CDs at my local stores, because I don't like to pay extra for shipping :rolleyes:

Musicyogi.com has a good collection of music and movies and some of my friends who buy CDs from them have given them a thumbs up.

Indiatimes shopping has a good collection of Indian Music,but their international collection is not very extensive.

Any idea if they stock/sell DTS DVDs both Indian and International?

If your looking for International titles with DTS then lookout for DVDs sold by Excel Home videos.They import some of their their International DVD titles and most of them have a DTS soundtrack. I have some of their imported DVDs made in Taiwan with DTS 5.1 and the quality of video/audio and the disc is excellent.A google site search will get you some of their DTS discs available at Musiyogi.in Click here These DVDs are available at all stores which have English DVDs

As for Indian DVD titles I think there are a couple of DTS titles in Hindi (Lagaan, Parineeta) and there are a good number of Tamil and Telugu DVDs available at all stores which stock them.

I would suggest this site. Also, they have a store in Noida and have discount sales often... :)

Do you know or expect them to have DTS 5.1 music CDs in their store? Imported English, Indian, Tamil ... anything! Do you have any experience of buying any such CD from anywhere in India (online or through the shop)? Please let me know.

Swami

Do you know or expect them to have DTS 5.1 music CDs in their store? Imported English, Indian, Tamil ... anything! Do you have any experience of buying any such CD from anywhere in India (online or through the shop)? Please let me know.

Swami

I'm sorry but I am not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean DTS versions of musical DVD's? If that's what you're referring to, Landmark probably has the best selection of western music concert DVD's. I am not sure about Indian concert DVD's, will check them for you the next time I go...

I'm sorry but I am not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean DTS versions of musical DVD's? If that's what you're referring to, Landmark probably has the best selection of western music concert DVD's. I am not sure about Indian concert DVD's, will check them for you the next time I go...

Well,

I am not talking about DTS music DVDs. What I mean is audio CDs having DTS encoded 5.1 channels of music. These are commonly called DTS CDs aka 5.1 Music Disc. I am almost sure that Bollywood hasn't produced any such recording, but there are quite a number of such english recordings from Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd etc .... Hope you get what I mean.

Well,

I am not talking about DTS music DVDs. What I mean is audio CDs having DTS encoded 5.1 channels of music. These are commonly called DTS CDs aka 5.1 Music Disc. I am almost sure that Bollywood hasn't produced any such recording, but there are quite a number of such english recordings from Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd etc .... Hope you get what I mean.

Wow! I never knew such a thing existed. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any in any of the stores I've been to but I'll ask around...

Hi Swami

Yashraj released some DVD-A discs like Dhoom-2 with 5.1 DTS tracks, check out their website for a list of all titles they released on DVD-A and they are available at all big music stores.

There are some Tamil DTS 5.1 discs available in Chennai.A few of them are available at online stores. Search for the term "5.1" at Landmarkonthenet store, A R Rahman's Boys 5.1 DTS CD is highly recommended.

Hi Swami

Yashraj released some DVD-A discs like Dhoom-2 with 5.1 DTS tracks, check out their website for a list of all titles they released on DVD-A and they are available at all big music stores.

There are some Tamil DTS 5.1 discs available in Chennai.A few of them are available at online stores. Search for the term "5.1" at Landmarkonthenet store, A R Rahman's Boys 5.1 DTS CD is highly recommended.

O yes, you are very right in saying that. In fact, I own Dhoom2 DVD-A right from when it was released. I do not have a DVD-A player but just bought it for future use if I buy a player; for the time being I listened to the DD and DTS tracks playable in a DVD video HT. I know and appreciate YRF to bring in the newer concepts in Indian music industry (viz. licensed mp3, DVD-A, music DVD). Alas, YRF suffer tremendous resistance from the industry for breaking the rules for good - marketing rights being one such example!

And, I guess I have read about the Tamil music industries making some DTS CDs. Even though I am ZERO in tamil language, I wouldn't mind buying atleast 1 such recommended CD. I remember how I purchased and listened to Kaadhalan (Humse Hai Mukabala) audio cassette just for the music of Rahman!

Thanks for writing in.

Swami

Hi Swami

Hi Nishanth,

Where can I get the Hindi DVD-A's from? Last I checked Yashraj does not allow for any online shopping. I used to buy a bunch from there but its all history now. Online or a store in Bangalore would be great info. Thx much.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back