• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Buying a Cassette Deck

QUAD

sarith

No exactly. Most of the tape decks had very good (rugged) mechanisms. But yes, they were not Hi-Fi grade. Except their 4040SM model. I had the opportunity to use one and I found the sound quality exceptional. This particular model (4040SM) was having recording facility and had higher specs compared to the other tape decks which were mono and play-only.

I don't know if they are available today. But if you get the opportunity then please listen to a 4040sm model. My gut feeling is that if they are paired with a good speaker set then you will get good output.

regards,
Jawed
I did audition 4040-SM and it's not bad (for 8K). Ahuja had two stereo cassette recorders. One was dedicated cassette recorder CTR-100 (IIRC) and 4040-SM with in-built amplifier (seems TO-3 based transistors. Probably 2N3055..just guessing here).

IIRC, they used Elin FLD mechanisms which are quite good and one of the best diy tape mechanisms available till few years ago. I still have some. Elin mech came with normal Philips head (ms).

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

preth30

to be honest, unless you are dead serious about cassettes, I'd stay away from Nakamichis, especially the higher end ones. Actually ANY higher end deck with anything to complicate things.

It's like buying a classic ferrari. When they work they are awesome, but god help if you something goes wrong - I Know parts etc are available, but getting them serviced locally is another thing.
Apart from Naks, which brands of deck do you suggest? I hear from cassette deck maniacs that once you enter into the cd realm, coming back to cassettes is not easy unless you hear it on Naks. That is the only brand which nearly satisfies our cd tuned ears.

greenhorn

Personally, I'm a fan of Akai - their Glass head decks sound awesome
Sony Decks with F&F heads are also recommended

preth30

Personally, I'm a fan of Akai - their Glass head decks sound awesome
Sony Decks with F&F heads are also recommended
Do you have one to sell :D. I traced a Nak BX 150. Sounds pretty good, but it sports a touch mechanism (I think all Naks do). To play the tape, I have to stand on the 'touch' switch to start play.

Music Freak

Do you have one to sell :D. I traced a Nak BX 150. Sounds pretty good, but it sports a touch mechanism (I think all Naks do). To play the tape, I have to stand on the 'touch' switch to start play.
Please stay away from these BX models of the NAK. I had a BX-125 and I encountered a lot of problems with it even after getting it serviced like twice, from, Mr.Umesh Chandran. I disposed it, for, peanuts, in the end. The only nice thing is the red peak level indicators! The mechanism is just crap. BX-300 is slightly better considering it's the high end in the series, but, like I said, I wouldn't consider buying it!

As far as I know/have heard, the NAK DR series is pretty good & is quite reliable when maintained well.

Last edited:
SPONSORED ADS