Buying a Projector for the first time ever!

machinfinity

As many have pointed out here in the forum, projectors have a lengthy learning curve and it will be nice to start with an entry-level model.
I had initially planned to get a Full-HD LED projector after generating enough funds, but my father's birthday is just around the corner and he is a huge Cinephile, so planned to get a Cheap Entry-Level model just in time to gift him. Please suggest an option that will be as per my requirements given below:-

Budget: 7k.
Source: Amazon FireTV Stick / Bluray Player. Usage is mostly 1080p movies.
Projector Distance from Screen: 16 Feet.
Options Checked through Forum Threads & Amazon Listings:- Egate i9, UNIC 46.

As far as i understood, there doesn't seem to be a real contender to the Egate i9 at the intended price point. The UNIC models are also a great option but i am not sure about after sales support. Should i get a projector screen online or DIY option will be relatively cheaper?
I am a complete noob when it comes to Projector Screens and Projectors in General, so please suggest.

The UNIC models are also a great option but i am not sure about after sales support.

There is only so much you can do abt these inexpensive projectors, as the good feature rich are expensive and away from reach for many.. Retain the bill, as it is your only source of warranty.. Just incase something happens, be ready to chase the dealer and get it sorted out..

Projector Distance from Screen: 16 Feet.

A projector at 7K, or specifically the single white LED powered lamps are limited in brightness.. So a 16ft throw distance, will further limit its brightness.. But if you are going to use it in a completely dark room then fine, else reduce the distance to 10ft.. Often these projectors have throw ratio of 1.2:1, meaning you get a bigger picture in short distance..

What are the dimension of the room, diagonal screen size you are looking for ?..

Source: Amazon FireTV Stick / Bluray Player. Usage is mostly 1080p movies. Options Checked through Forum Threads & Amazon Listings:- Egate i9, UNIC 46.

There is an Egate i9 with Android.. Suggest you get this one, as streaming movies would be easier by downloading respective apps from playstore.. You can remove firetv stick from source (or) use it in another room.. So you can leave the BR player connected to Android projector all the time..

Should i get a projector screen online or DIY option will be relatively cheaper?

Defnetly a DIYscreen is the inexpensive route, depending on screensize.. If you have regular screen, you can consider getting that painted.. Matte white (or) grey paint..

A projector at 7K, or specifically the single white LED powered lamps are limited in brightness.. So a 16ft throw distance, will further limit its brightness.. But if you are going to use it in a completely dark room then fine, else reduce the distance to 10ft.. Often these projectors have throw ratio of 1.2:1, meaning you get a bigger picture in short distance..
Thanks Elangoas! I plan to have an 80 inch screen for viewing. Using a Bigger size screen may result in loss of sharpness and brightness (correct me if i am wrong). Yes, i can place the projector at 10 feet distance too.

What are the dimension of the room, diagonal screen size you are looking for ?..
Its 19 x 20 Feet in Size. Image will be projected on 20 feet length wall.

There is an Egate i9 with Android.. Suggest you get this one, as streaming movies would be easier by downloading respective apps from playstore.. You can remove firetv stick from source (or) use it in another room.. So you can leave the BR player connected to Android projector all the time..
Sure. I will check that model out, as in that case i can use the firetv stick with my LED tv in other room.
Also saw Egate P513 Model online. How much of an upgrade in picture quality will that model be over the i9 model?
If its a pretty decent upgrade then can think about it. Called egate on their phone number. They were offering both P513 & K9 for 16k.

Defnetly a DIYscreen is the inexpensive route, depending on screensize.. If you have regular screen, you can consider getting that painted.. Matte white (or) grey paint..
Can't paint since i'm living in a rented flat. Will seriously do that when i move to my own place.
How much approx cost can a DIY screen take for 80-100 inch size?

Thanks Elangoas! I plan to have an 80 inch screen for viewing. Using a Bigger size screen may result in loss of sharpness and brightness (correct me if i am wrong). Yes, i can place the projector at 10 feet distance too.

Yes, your understanding on brightness is right.. 80 inch would be best size

Its 19 x 20 Feet in Size. Image will be projected on 20 feet length wall.

Ok great.. You may as well consider map type screens which can be pinned to walls..

Sure. I will check that model out, as in that case i can use the firetv stick with my LED tv in other room.
Also saw Egate P513 Model online. How much of an upgrade in picture quality will that model be over the i9 model?

P513 is also powered by a single LED bulb, sure there is increase in brightness.. But not significantly brighter..

If its a pretty decent upgrade then can think about it. Called egate on their phone number. They were offering both P513 & K9 for 16k.

K9 for 16K.. Surprised.. Please double check with him, if they still confirm K9 is 16K, then it defnetly is a better choice over P513.. As it is powered by RGB LED bulbs.. I think K9 comes with android..

Can't paint since i'm living in a rented flat. Will seriously do that when i move to my own place.

Ok fine..

How much approx cost can a DIY screen take for 80-100 inch size?

Approx 4 ~ 5K (for all materials, labour)..

Ok great.. You may as well consider map type screens which can be pinned to walls..
Saw this online: Map Type Screen Amazon Link
They have specified on the listing that its 4:3 ratio design, suitable for 16:9 ratio. I'm afraid whether it may reduce the screen size if used in 16:9.
But looking at the image they have shown online, it seems the practical dimensions of that screen are leaning more towards 16:9.

P513 is also powered by a single LED bulb, sure there is increase in brightness.. But not significantly brighter..
Noted. Thanks.
Found another option online Vivibright C80
Here are the specs:
  • Brightness: 2200 Lumens
  • Resolution: optical 1280x720.
  • Max supported resolution: 1080p.
  • Contrast ratio: 1000:1
  • Lifetime: 30,000 hours Projection Screen Size (inch): 37-110 inchs
I brought this option up over here cause the resolution output is better than egate i9 and lumen is higher. Have called them and requested a demo video. I'm willing to spend a little more if this is even a margin-able step up over i9. A distinct lack of live demos for these products is a disadvantage for someone like me who isn't well-versed in this area.

K9 for 16K.. Surprised.. Please double check with him, if they still confirm K9 is 16K, then it defnetly is a better choice over P513.. As it is powered by RGB LED bulbs.. I think K9 comes with android..
Yes you are right. Seemed to be a communication lapse on phone, that their representative gave an incorrect idea. After asking for quotation, they gave a price of 35K.

I brought this option up over here cause the resolution output is better than egate i9 and lumen is higher. Have called them and requested a demo video. I'm willing to spend a little more if this is even a margin-able step up over i9. A distinct lack of live demos for these products is a disadvantage for someone like me who isn't well-versed in this area.

Most LED powered projectors in this price bracket have 1280 x 800 resolution (16:10), so good to consider a 16:9 screen..

I had used Egate P531 for abt a years time and i had uploaded pictures too.. But i used a DIY Acoustic Transparent screen (low gain screen).. With vinyl screen, brightness would be more (high gain)..

Saw this online: Map Type Screen Amazon Link
They have specified on the listing that its 4:3 ratio design, suitable for 16:9 ratio. I'm afraid whether it may reduce the screen size if used in 16:9.
But looking at the image they have shown online, it seems the practical dimensions of that screen are leaning more towards 16:9.

For this screen, you would approx get 85inch diagonal screen in 16:9 AR, fairly good size for the projectors..

Yes you are right. Seemed to be a communication lapse on phone, that their representative gave an incorrect idea. After asking for quotation, they gave a price of 35K.

Right, K9 is an expensive product..

Map type screens are inexpensive and easy to use. Decent option for a rented place. They also come in 16:9 Ratio and various sizes. You just have to dig more.

Bought the Vivibright C80!
Thanks Elangoas & Vinay for your valuable inputs. Thanking FMs for sharing their wisdom for enabling people to make smarter buying decisions.
I was really into the Egate i9 at the beginning (pricing) but decided to go with Vivibright C80 as it has better resolution.

Box:-
BOX.jpg

Unit without the lens cap:-
Unit F.jpg

Rear View of the Unit:-
Unit Rear.jpg

Now i really believe the FMs when they say that projectors have a learning curve.
I hooked up the Projector to my HT and it took almost two weeks for me to get a hang of it while setting up a good picture.
Initially the images were quite blurred overall and the brightness of the image was quite disappointing to me, as i had used its keystone setting to tilt the image higher up and projected it to an image of 100".
Later adjusted the projector placement for 0 keystone correction and set the location for 80" screen size. The image was noticeably much better and more watchable.

Here are a few pictures of Br-rips Projected on a wall, taken from a phone camera:-

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The images turn out very good in movie scenes with high contrast.
Operating Noise levels of the unit are pretty low enough to not be a distraction when audio plays through my HT.
The unit gets too hot, requires sufficient ventilation.
I cannot comment on black levels or color reproduction as this projector is nowhere close to professional units.
But for the price point and image resolution, i couldn't ask for better.
Overall a fair deal for me and i'm happy with the purchase.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back