Buying a TT - Need Tips

ukjeyaraj

Hi All,

I am planning to have a turntable for me. I have few doubts. I hope Turntable wizards hear will help me clearing those.

I want to buy a Turntable where the platter size should be of a LP's size. I want it to be automatic, coz my son will use it. The turntable should have built-in phono pre-amp. Also my budget is very low 5k to 6k. I think in this budget i can only get used turntable.

1) Is it possible to get a used turntable where no further tweeking or expense required within this budget.

2) If so where in Bangalore/Mumbai/Chennai I can get such used turntables

3) Is it advisable to spend extra 4K and go for new ones.

4) If new ones what are the models available within 10K in Bangalore/Mumbai/Chennai.

5) I saw Denon-DP29F and Sherwood PM-9805. Between these 2 which is good? Also suggest if there are other better models

Thanks & Regards

Hai youngun,

Pl go thro the 20North website there are a lot of TT which may fall under your budget.

N.Murali.

Update on my search for TurnTable

Today I enquired in 3 places

1) Lekhraj Jessumal, Brigade Road, Bangalore. (I came to know about this shop from various thread in this forum.)

2) PRO-FX, MG Road, Bangalore.

3) cinebels, Miller Road, Bangalore

Lekhraj Jassumal, Brigade Road, Bangalore has

a) A manual turntable without pre-amp without lid - Rs. 5000
b) A manual turntable with built-in amp without lid - Rs. 6500
c) Cost of lid - Rs. 650

The turntable was inside showcase and it was not available for demo. Both the TTs did not impress in its looks. It was having a label "Sharp" on the platter but definitely not sharp. My opinion is, it is not worth the money.

PRO-FX,MG Road, Bangalore has

a) Fully automatic, built-in phono equalizer DENON-DP29F - Rs. 9900 and Rs. 9100 after discount
b) Fully automatic, built-in phono equalizer changeable cartridge DENON-DP300F - Rs. 18500

DP29F, in display was not in working condition. I had a demo of DP300F and did not like the audio quality much. DP300F's price is more than my budget too.

CINEBELS, Millers Road, Bangalore

I came to know from Mr. Sunit Mathur MD Decibels that they have a showroom in Millers Road in Bangalore (Decibels and cinebels seems to me from same group) and he informed Sherwood PM-9805 is available there.

However when I enquired over phone the guy who talked was completely unaware of it. He told he will check with Manager and confirm me after few minutes. After 30mts I made a call and was told that their HO is closed and Manager is on leave, and they will be able to confirm only on Monday.

I will wait to see Sherwood PM-9805, which looks impressive in the pictures I have seen. Can someone throw more light on this model? Particularly, if it has auto stop?

Hope some of this information will help others too.

Re: Update on my search for TurnTable

Today I enquired in 3 places

1) Lekhraj Jessumal, Brigade Road, Bangalore. (I came to know about this shop from various thread in this forum.)

2) PRO-FX, MG Road, Bangalore.

3) cinebels, Miller Road, Bangalore

Lekhraj Jassumal, Brigade Road, Bangalore has

a) A manual turntable without pre-amp without lid - Rs. 5000
b) A manual turntable with built-in amp without lid - Rs. 6500
c) Cost of lid - Rs. 650

The turntable was inside showcase and it was not available for demo. Both the TTs did not impress in its looks. It was having a label "Sharp" on the platter but definitely not sharp. My opinion is, it is not worth the money.

PRO-FX,MG Road, Bangalore has

a) Fully automatic, built-in phono equalizer DENON-DP29F - Rs. 9900 and Rs. 9100 after discount
b) Fully automatic, built-in phono equalizer changeable cartridge DENON-DP300F - Rs. 18500

DP29F, in display was not in working condition. I had a demo of DP300F and did not like the audio quality much. DP300F's price is more than my budget too.

CINEBELS, Millers Road, Bangalore

I came to know from Mr. Sunit Mathur MD Decibels that they have a showroom in Millers Road in Bangalore (Decibels and cinebels seems to me from same group) and he informed Sherwood PM-9805 is available there.

However when I enquired over phone the guy who talked was completely unaware of it. He told he will check with Manager and confirm me after few minutes. After 30mts I made a call and was told that their HO is closed and Manager is on leave, and they will be able to confirm only on Monday.

I will wait to see Sherwood PM-9805, which looks impressive in the pictures I have seen. Can someone throw more light on this model? Particularly, if it has auto stop?

Hope some of this information will help others too.

Sir ,
Many Ebay sites Sell This Try eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices also ,I Got a TT From There But The Jerk Packed It In A Box With Nenspapers .And I Found It In 3 Pieces ,Haa haa As He did Not Have The Box .I Had To Restore The Damn Thing And I Felt The Pain :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Amarbir[Lynx-India];98516 said:
Sir ,
Many Ebay sites Sell This Try eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices also ,I Got a TT From There But The Jerk Packed It In A Box With Nenspapers .And I Found It In 3 Pieces ,Haa haa As He did Not Have The Box .I Had To Restore The Damn Thing And I Felt The Pain :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

That's the reason, I am apprehensive about buying it online from overseas.

Amarbir[Lynx-India];98530 said:
Wrong Notion ,
If The Same Would Have Been Send To Me In Original Box Nothing Would Have Happened .Well you Get Brand New Stuff There Too Man ,check It Out .

I am worried about receiving in proper condition and customs hassle. Anyway I will keep that option open. If I could not get good one locally then I will try to pick one online.

Is Audio Technica available in India?

Hi,

As you are based in bangalore try out Absolute phase they have the Dennon TTs in stock and on demo. Pm Odessey to set up an appointement.

I am not based at Bangalore. I am based at Mumbai. I will be staying in Bangalore for couple of days.

I want to know more about

1) Sherwood - PM-9805
2) Audio Technica - ATLP50/60

Anyone has more idea on the above two TTs and dealer for Audio Technica TTs in India.

Hi,

As you are based in bangalore try out Absolute phase they have the Dennon TTs in stock and on demo. Pm Odessey to set up an appointement.

Hello,
I think Prithvi is related to absolute phase deals with Denon and odessey is related to ARN systems delas with Project and VPI. Not sure if there is any overlap between them
Thanks.

Thanks for suggestions from all.

Sherwood is out of my list now. Coz it is not automatic.

Now my choices are

1) Denon DP29F
2) Looking for pre-owned TT in good condition
3) Buy online

I liked Audio Technica ATLP60. Want your comments on the player.

What are the good and reliable online shopping sites (other than 20north.com/amazon.com). If eBay, which country ebay site and how to confirm if the item is being shipped to India.

Last edited:
TRY ebay.in FOR TURNTABLE WITHIN YOUR BUDGET. I GOT SONY PS-LX3 FOR RS 7 T + SHIPPING FROM KOLKATA. AS ON TODAY ON ebay.in THERE ARE 5 TO 6 NEW TURNTABLES RANGING 18 T ONWARDS, LOCATION - NEW DELHI AND ONE PHILIPS 242 MANUAL TURNTABLE USED WITH AMPLIFIER FOR 3000-00 + SHIPPING RS 2500-00. LOCATION - MAHARASHTRA.
FOR AUTOMATIC TRY quikr.com AND CITY PUNE, SEARCH "GARRARD" ONE GARRARD 3000 AVAILABLE IN PUNE. YOU MAY TRY FOR PHILIPS AND GARRARD.

Last edited:
TRY ebay.in FOR TURNTABLE WITHIN YOUR BUDGET. I GOT SONY PS-LX3 FOR RS 7 T + SHIPPING FROM KOLKATA. AS ON TODAY ON ebay.in THERE ARE 5 TO 6 NEW TURNTABLES RANGING 18 T ONWARDS, LOCATION - NEW DELHI AND ONE PHILIPS 242 MANUAL TURNTABLE USED WITH AMPLIFIER FOR 3000-00 + SHIPPING RS 2500-00. LOCATION - MAHARASHTRA.
FOR AUTOMATIC TRY quikr.com AND CITY PUNE, SEARCH "GARRARD" ONE GARRARD 3000 AVAILABLE IN PUNE. YOU MAY TRY FOR PHILIPS AND GARRARD.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check both garrard and philips.

Please give your comments on this Pyle TT

Pyle-Pro | PLTTB1 Professional Belt-Drive Turntable | PLTTB1

Is it fully automatic? (Does the presence of Start/Stop button, means "fully automatic? Could not get clear information from website)

Also suggest a reliable online shop to buy this with reasonable shipping charges and smooth customs clearance.

Thanks

Last edited:
too expensive pricing....esp for philips IMHO

When any item gets rare, price is always exhorbitant. Even for new electronic items can we say prices are not exhorbitant. It is individual choice - liking or price and ofcourse individual budget for the item. I got an offer from a delhi seller (not his items but arranged from a kolkata seller) for reel to reel tape recorders as pioneer rt 707 rs 58 t / akai gx 77 rs 68 t / akai gx600db rs 60 t. He has priced this high means there must some buyers at this space high price. One philips n4414 was sold at 12 t as last bid from initial price of rs 5 t from one online site. Some people just pay anything and buy for collection. BY THE WAY ONE MORE PHILIPS 242 IS FOR SALE ON pune.quikr.com THE ONE ON EBAY AND QUIKR ARE BY DIFFERENT PERSONS

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back