Buying a Turn Table online

john_k_antony

Dear All,

Would you recommend buying a TT online. I am worried about the packaging and shipping as a TT is more fragile with lots of moving parts. Also I am worried about the service and warranty.

I looked at some UK sites where I can get a Pro-Ject/Thorens TT for around 30-40K INR (including shipping and duties). I have come across the following sites.

1. Turntables
2. Audio Affair - Audio Equipment, Hi-fi, Speakers and Home Cinema
3. Hi-Fi, Home Cinema, Custom Install - Divine Audio

Any other good sites do you recommend?

Thanks,
John.

Thanks Tek,

I have one more basic question as I am a newbie :). Do you find it difficult to use the manual Rega player. Do you think an automatic player will be more easy to use?

One of the dealers here in Bangalore said that Rega is very bright sounding. Is that true?

Also which Phono preamp are you using? Where did u get it?

Thanks,
John.

Yes, the Rega is a bit bright. But I think it makes for a more detailed sound. At first I thought it was harsh, but it is not so harsh anymore once you play it more. I think this is something you would need to listen and decide. You don't want to spend many thousand rupees and then not like the sound later on. I took this gamble, and luckily it paid off for me.

I was using a DIY phono stage made for me by very generous forum members Sachu and Omishra. They really did a fantastic job, it' a great phono pre. But of late, I have been using the phono stage in a vintage Sansui amp I picked up. It's got that lovely warm analog sound that dreams are made of ;)

Actually, the Rega manual is kind of non existent.. they just give you a leaflet with some "tips", no real instructions per se. I bought mine without a cartridge since I wanted to put my own one, so that was the trickiest part. If you buy yours with a cart fitted, then the only thing you really need to do is set the counterweight and adjust the tracking force and anti skate. This is actually not that difficult, but just seems intimidating for someone new to TTs. I'm sure you'll find many people here who would be happy to help you, and maybe some Bangaloreans (sorry, is it Bengalurians now? ;) ) who might even come over and help you out.

Not all Projects are bad though. I think the new Debut with the carbon tonearm is probably one of the better entry level turntables. I would put it and the RP1 in close comparison. The problem with the Genie was it didn't have a dust cover, and I live practically 100 m from the sea, so it was a problem for me. Both the RP1 and the Debut have dustcovers, so no problems there. I think it will come down to the Debut and the RP1.. But if you want to spend slightly more than your budget, you could get a Project Xpression or the P3.

BTW, operating manual Rega is not that difficult right, compared to a fully automatic Denon/Thorens.

This should not be a problem. In a manually operated turntable, you use the arm lift to lift the arm, then position the stylus at the beginning of the desired track, then gently drop the arm using the arm lift. When you want to stop playing, again lift the arm using the arm lift. The arm lift mechanism makes sure that the drop/lift is gentle so as not to break the stylus/cantilever.

The difference in an auto would be - you press the arm lift button - it will lift the arm and automatically place it at the start of the groove. When it has played one side, it will automatically lift itself off and return the arm to the arm rest. A lazy man's turntable:) The obvious advantage is that the stylus will not get worn unnecessarily tracing the run off area of the record after a side is finished (in case you forget).

The Regas are some of the simplest turntable design (sans frills) and have been improved and optimised over many generations so you can't really go wrong with them. Only caveat is what tek mentioned about brightness, though you should be able to control that too with appropriate choice of IC/speaker cable, or tone controls in the amp.

I am indeed a very lazy person :). I would like to start the playback on click of a button and then sit back in my couch and enjoy the record. I don't want to keep thinking about when the side playing will end so that I need to go and immediately turn it off. So I think I should look for an automatic TT right :D.

The only automatics I found so far are Thorens and Denon. But I do hear some quality issues with new Thorens. And no one is recommending Denon.

Also the Auto TTs have DC servo motor vs AC motors in the manual. I did research on it and heard mixed response regarding the quality and durability of both the types of motors. Both have its own pros and cons. I understood that none is better than the other.

-John.

I have purchased turntables twice online, both times from amazon.com, purchased and delivered in the United States. Carried both tables back to India by hand (with my hand luggage). Both were extremely well packed and in perfect condition. The Teac P988 is currently with a friend while the Technics SLBD20B is currently doing faithful duty with on my brother's hi-fi rack. Was extremely satisfied with both purchases and what more, both were delivered FREE to my United States addresses.

I am indeed a very lazy person :). I would like to start the playback on click of a button and then sit back in my couch and enjoy the record. I don't want to keep thinking about when the side playing will end so that I need to go and immediately turn it off. So I think I should look for an automatic TT right :D.

-John.

for what you're looking at, you actually should be getting yourself a semi-automatic. These have only auto-return and are more reliable than the fully automatic ones. Also, fully automatic turntables tend to throw the tonearm on the start of the record, which can result in long term record and stylus damage (unless you're using a very expensive automatic)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back