Buying advice needed for 5.1 sound system

ankitr.42

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a 5.1 speaker system (THX preferred) for use with my laptop, mostly for music & movies. I researched on the Internet as a result I have Philips / Logitech in my mind so far. My budget is 15K max. which I feel (after going through the forums) is puny enough to make you people laugh. So far I've Philips HTS3520 and Logitech Z-5500, Z906 in mind.

Also, please suggest if THX certification really makes any big difference, because otherwise, I'd prefer the Philips model as it's rated at 600W RMS against 500W RMS of the Logitech models.

Kindly post your suggestions.

Don't take your decision based on RMS rating only. You need to consider the SQ primarily. Nobody is going to crank up the amp to its full capacity. I would suggest the logitech model as it has digital inputs and should be far better than the Phillips one. Another brand to consider is Edifier which has some good 5.1 speakers.

edifier 5.1 | eBay

Thanks for the reply baijuxavier. I would also like to know if there are other comparable options from brands like Altec & F&D that fit in the same budget.

Also would you suggest buying a Z5500 over the Z906 if I'm able to get one for about the same price?

I had z5500. If you are into movies and gaming, this is it. the best pc speakers for the above mentioned use. Not so much for music.
Not sure about the Philips one, but I can pretty damn well guarantee that it wont be better than z5500 or even z906. It cant be. If not Logitech Edifier is a good choice. Dont settle for anything else than these two.
For movies and complete blow away sound: z5500
For a good, neutral, great overall sound quality: Edifies s550

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a 5.1 speaker system (THX preferred) for use with my laptop, mostly for music & movies. I researched on the Internet as a result I have Philips / Logitech in my mind so far. My budget is 15K max. which I feel (after going through the forums) is puny enough to make you people laugh. So far I've Philips HTS3520 and Logitech Z-5500, Z906 in mind.

Also, please suggest if THX certification really makes any big difference, because otherwise, I'd prefer the Philips model as it's rated at 600W RMS against 500W RMS of the Logitech models.

As a Z5500 user, I've been very happy with them and highly recommend for movies.

Have't used the Z906 but shouldn't be too different.

** Found this awesome deal for the Z906** WUC Promo : Z906-Logitech 5.1 Speaker System, Surround Sound 2 yrs warranty | eBay
at 13k these are a no-brainer.

Hi All,

Check out Creative also. I dont remember the model no but recently I heard one their 5.1 systems and was impressed.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back