Buying Expensive CD Players -Are we getting Cheated

NSX(turbocharged) compared to the Boxster may be yes.

Compared to the 911 turbo..... No way.

hi rajapraveen - i thought that all hondas are naturally aspirated?

the nsx was/is a purist sports car -

the porsche boxter is a compromise.

@ OP - sorry - will not post about cars in this thread again

Last edited:
Kindly excuse for the slightly off topic question but in the quest for 'audio nirvana', ARE we also getting cheated for expensive speaker cable, interconnects and coaxial cable?

Thank you for your time

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

Hi Helium

U can be cheated if ur expectations are off the mark. No body puts a gun to our head and insist we buy expensive cables but most of us always manage to shoot ourselves in the foot anyway.

Start with something basic and SEE/HEAR the improvements of better cables. If u dont hear the benefits, NEVER BUY and this way u are reducing the possibility of being conned.

Hope u are now happy with the sound of your set up.
Rgds

hi rajapraveen - i thought that all hondas are naturally aspirated?

Yes they are, hence the turbo charged in brackets(for the reason that many of em owned by people in Asia and USA have been modified and fitted with turbo both normal and track racing versions).

the nsx was/is a purist sports car -

the porsche boxter is a compromise.

Looks like you are a JAP car(especially Honda) fan like many Asians and Americans.

i own a honda city vtec 2001 - honda jazz- honda civic and have used/abused them extensively. i have test driven the old/new 3.0 litre and 3.5 litre accord

This just confirms it.

My take on on Honda cars selling here in india(driven most of them expect for the CRV).

City--- Jazz---Civic = looks like a toy and drives like one.Worst quality of interior and exterior,What is even worse? The ride quality and steering.

Accord(not the V6) = Looks like a big metal box with a scooter engine and drives exactly like a scooter on 4 wheels.

What would be the biggest joke of all cars? Civc and prius hybrid. :)

Wanted to reply hence posted about cars but wont post abt cars in this thread again.

see, i am passionate about motor cars

Super!

Hi Helimflight

Ultimately it is the mind that cheats us more than that extraneous other factor. Se lets stop feeling so paranoid about it all. Those who have money will buy and try without feeling the pinch and will hear the difference if any.

The others will always be very vocal and protest about all the gear they cannot afford... ! :D

Just my chaar annas

Cheers
complete ly agree.. if anyone feels they hear the difference and the price is worth it, they get a VFM. if you dont hear a difference but still buy it..up to you to decide whether the pride of ownership neutralizes the "cheated" feeling.

Those who have never tried it..and still complain /rant about cables.. little said the better ;)

Hi Helium

Hope u are now happy with the sound of your set up.
Rgds

Yes, thanks Dinyaar but in the pursuit of more and better now I wish for clarity in bass definition.

Please suggest with your wisdom.

--
helium

Yes, thanks Dinyaar but in the pursuit of more and better now I wish for clarity in bass definition. Please suggest with your wisdom.

This is a very broad question, and let me see if we can discuss this to bring some clarity.

What one likes in bass has a lot to do with age and one's preferences. When you are young, you like 'enhanced' bass heard at very high amplitudes. As you start aging, you tend to lower the amplitude and start looking for accuracy in the low frequencies.

Again, this falls into two categories. One for movies and one for music.

With reference to music, I have explained this many times before, but no music in it's natural form contains bass lower than 40Hz. So if you are hearing frequencies lower than that - you are either enhancing the low frequencies with your equipment, or the frequencies have been lowered artificially in the studio during recording. But is that what you want to hear? As I said this depends upon the individual. If you like deep, strong, and boomy bass, you would use equipment and a 2.1 system that gives you artificially enhanced bass.

In movies, bass can go lower as they record a number of non-percussion sounds such as explosions, gun shots, crashes etc. Even percussions sounds are sometimes created artificially and these have lower frequencies than natural percussion instruments. These are recreated in your system by the Point 1.

A good woofer is one that can obviously create a low frequency - as low as possible. But more important is the speed of the woofer. How quickly does it kill the decay? Many woofers are designed to carry the sound for a few milliseconds and even create an echo. Many people like this.

Cheers

But more important is the speed of the woofer. How quickly does it kill the decay?

hi venkatcr -

it has been my thought that control over unwarranted oscillation of the woofer cone in a conventional motor/magnet-voice-coil system had more to do with the damping control of (solid state) amplifier than the woofer suspension?

regds
suri

it has been my thought that control over unwarranted oscillation of the woofer cone in a conventional motor/magnet-voice-coil system had more to do with the damping control of (solid state) amplifier than the woofer suspension?

It certainly has. I was referring to a sub that has an amp and the woofer built in. I have seen certain designs create what I can only call a unneeded oscillation. I have also seen designs by companies such as Hsu that kill the decay very effectively giving a very sharp sound - what a friend of mine called fluid. I have also seen many people do not like it and are enamoured with the boomy sound that has a large amplitude.

Cheers

Last edited:
It certainly has. I was referring to a sub that has an amp and the woofer built in. I have seen certain designs create what I can only call a unneeded oscillation. I have also seen designs by companies such as Hsu that kill the delay very effectively giving a very sharp sound - what a friend of mine called fluid. I have also seen many people do not like it and are enamoured with the boomy sound that has a large amplitude.

Cheers

True - regds suri

It certainly has. I was referring to a sub that has an amp and the woofer built in. I have seen certain designs create what I can only call a unneeded oscillation. I have also seen designs by companies such as Hsu that kill the decay very effectively giving a very sharp sound - what a friend of mine called fluid. I have also seen many people do not like it and are enamoured with the boomy sound that has a large amplitude.

Cheers

venkat, isnt that the characteristic on the amp in damping the oscillations quickly ? it is when the cones flap about too much (distortion ? ) that the bloomy sound comes around..and i believe these in the end do damage the woofers as well.

venkat, isnt that the characteristic on the amp in damping the oscillations quickly ? it is when the cones flap about too much (distortion ? ) that the bloomy sound comes around..and i believe these in the end do damage the woofers as well.
I'd say both amps' control capability & driver design-adequate magnet ,as light & rigid cone as is practicably possible contribute to bass quality.

Yes, thanks Dinyaar but in the pursuit of more and better now I wish for clarity in bass definition.

Please suggest with your wisdom.

--
helium

IC change can do it - for syrupy sweet tubes like BEL try the Nordost Blue Heavens. I use it and recommend it wholeheartedly - but only for warm tube setups.

Regards

Heliumflight

Most of the times bass clarity is a function of the room. So changing cables may still not give you what you want. Try placing 4 small triangular pillows preferably with cotton filling at the 4 top corners of the room where the ceiling meets the side wall. See if theres an improvement in the bass clarity.

Woofer drivers that are well constructed are expensive, and that is the reason you will find two price class of subs. One set is in the 10,000-30,000 range with about 100-200 watts of power. These have limited capacity and that too in a small room. The drivers can be controlled only to a certain extent, and if you push them hard, you will hear distortion as well as resonance. One way to do this is also to limit the size of the driver so that real estate that can resonate or flap is reduced.

As you increase the size of the drivers to deliver larger and more accurate sound, the price of the sub inches to above some 75K.

The design of the amp as well as the quality of the driver used go a long way is delivering good bass notes.

Cheers

Heliumflight

Most of the times bass clarity is a function of the room. So changing cables may still not give you what you want. Try placing 4 small triangular pillows preferably with cotton filling at the 4 top corners of the room where the ceiling meets the side wall. See if theres an improvement in the bass clarity.

Good point. But I believe bass absorption will require a 6ft by 4ft trap at minimum to absorb the longer wavelengths.

Regards

Good point. But I believe bass absorption will require a 6ft by 4ft trap at minimum to absorb the longer wavelengths.

Regards

hi gobble - it has to have three dimensions - so 6ft x 4ft x ?ft -

regards

any ideas on how to stop the warring parties on the other emotional thread??

hi gobble - it has to have three dimensions - so 6ft x 4ft x ?ft -

regards

any ideas on how to stop the warring parties on the other emotional thread??

Weed! Smoke them out of their confrontation :D

I meant 4ft diameter by 6 ft length.

cheers

I was not talking about absorbing the bass. The pillows at the top corners will clean up the flutter and echoes. This in turn lets you hear more clarity in the bass.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back