buying yamaha rx-v863, suggest me a good speaker system

The 863 is an excellent amp. In a way it is even better than newer models that has come from Yamaha. The only new additional feature you will get in newer models is Dolby IIz decoder.

Manu, in my opinion, unless you have a passion for DIY and lots of money to blow, it is not worthwhile building speakers yourself. People such as Suri and Soundsgreat have spent endless hours in experimenting and making various audio equipment. With the limited budget you have and the limited requirment you have, it does not make sense to go the DIY way. Though you might get drivers at lower prices, unless you have extensive experience, the end result in terms of the speakers made will not be satisfactory. It is far easier to just get good speakers and leave it at that.

Where are you , by the way. In Chennai, there is a Taiwanese company that sells complete 5.1 speaker set for about 30K. The speakers look eaxctly like the Wharfedales and sound quite decent. Another option is to get speakers from local manufacturers such as Craftel in Chennai. Mark of Craftel makes some good speakers at very attractive prices.

Cheers

+1 to what venkatcr has said, avoid the DIY route, unless you have huge amount of money and time to spare.

The 863 is an excellent amp. In a way it is even better than newer models that has come from Yamaha. The only new additional feature you will get in newer models is Dolby IIz decoder.

Manu, in my opinion, unless you have a passion for DIY and lots of money to blow, it is not worthwhile building speakers yourself. People such as Suri and Soundsgreat have spent endless hours in experimenting and making various audio equipment. With the limited budget you have and the limited requirment you have, it does not make sense to go the DIY way. Though you might get drivers at lower prices, unless you have extensive experience, the end result in terms of the speakers made will not be satisfactory. It is far easier to just get good speakers and leave it at that.

Where are you , by the way. In Chennai, there is a Taiwanese company that sells complete 5.1 speaker set for about 30K. The speakers look eaxctly like the Wharfedales and sound quite decent. Another option is to get speakers from local manufacturers such as Craftel in Chennai. Mark of Craftel makes some good speakers at very attractive prices.

Cheers

thanks venkat for ur experienced words.... i will go by ur words. i am from bangalore. what i came to know was, yamaha 863 is a discontinued product... thats why i am getting it at a good price i guess.... but i saw a similar featured model which is 565. how is it compared to 863 ?

and what is this optical/co-axial/analogue output/port whichever is present on these amps... ??? !!! i have no idea which one to consider what at the moment & if i want it to be future proof say atleast for 5 yrs..... please throw some light on this aspect...

what all video /audio features to look out for while buying speakers. because we are sure that most of newer models come up with certain extra features.... which one is to be considered seriously so that it makes worthwhile to invest some extra bucks for them to go for it..... important features which is must for speakers for music & movie experience & shouldnt be any compromise on the feel & quality of music ... please let us know about it in detail....

thanks venkat for ur experienced words.... i will go by ur words. i am from bangalore. what i came to know was, yamaha 863 is a discontinued product... thats why i am getting it at a good price i guess.... but i saw a similar featured model which is 565. how is it compared to 863 ?

and what is this optical/co-axial/analogue output/port whichever is present on these amps... ??? !!! i have no idea which one to consider what at the moment & if i want it to be future proof say atleast for 5 yrs..... please throw some light on this aspect...

what all video /audio features to look out for while buying speakers. because we are sure that most of newer models come up with certain extra features.... which one is to be considered seriously so that it makes worthwhile to invest some extra bucks for them to go for it..... important features which is must for speakers for music & movie experience & shouldnt be any compromise on the feel & quality of music ... please let us know about it in detail....

Don't go for yamaha 565, the 2009 models upto yamaha 665 are a lot inferior
to yamaha 2008 models upto 863.

Even, dear venkatcr has said this many times here in this forum.I also followed what was said/reviewed by him and others on yamaha 663 and finally purchased it last month.

yamaha 863 is the big brother of 663 and even better

regards:)

Don't go for yamaha 565, the 2009 models upto yamaha 665 are a lot inferior
to yamaha 2008 models upto 863.

Even, dear venkatcr has said this many times here in this forum.I also followed what was said/reviewed by him and others on yamaha 663 and finally purchased it last month.

yamaha 863 is the big brother of 663 and even better

really mandeep ??? i will believe in your decision as u have lot of experience in this field. one more question, both have got almost same features. moreover 565 is 2009 model, obviously it has to be way better compared to 863(2008 model) right ???
why do u say that yamaha 863 is better ??? what about the video capability of 565? is it equal to 863 or below average compared to 863 ???

mandeep, i am not doubting ur knowledge, all i am asking u is the reason why 863 is better compared to 565 & the rest of 7.1 amps.... please explain buddy....

@mandeep: u didnt mention which HDMI cable i should order from US. u gave me the indian products list. wont the reciever come with hdmi cable ??? or should i make a purchase extra ??? i am totally clueless on what & how many cables required to connect dvd player/tv/or any other components if i may onnect it to in the future....

please guide me mandeep....

really mandeep ??? i will believe in your decision as u have lot of experience in this field. one more question, both have got almost same features. moreover 565 is 2009 model, obviously it has to be way better compared to 863(2008 model) right ???
why do u say that yamaha 863 is better ??? what about the video capability of 565? is it equal to 863 or below average compared to 863 ???

mandeep, i am not doubting ur knowledge, all i am asking u is the reason why 863 is better compared to 565 & the rest of 7.1 amps.... please explain buddy....

First, it would be a complete injustice, to compare 863 with 565. Yamaha 863 is far far superior to 565.You can only compare 863 with the yamaha 1065(here is the comparison)

A few Reason's

(1) 863 has 105 wpc as compared to 90 wpc of 565,which means better dynamic's/detail you will get with 863.

(2) The 863 has a full bandwidth power rating of 105 W @ 8 ohms, 20 Hz20 kHz, 0.06% THD, which means almost constant power over the entire frequency spectrum/bandwidth from 20 hz-20khz, 565 has power rating of 90w @ 4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD, which means for full bandwidth the average power will 10-15% lower may be 65-70W only, which is quite bad for the amp performance.Also take a look at the THD values.A THD of 0.06% is far better than 0.7%.

(3)Total Power of 863 @(20Hz - 20kHz) = 735W, and of 565 is only 630W @1 kHz

thanks

i totally agree with u now that 863 is the best in this price range.
i want details about the cables- which one, how many & how to connect where. detailed information is required on this & also about the best company with best quality please....

thanks venkat... you are really helpful in this forum..... please tell me which speaker system i should buy for yamaha 863 ? i mean i dont want to sell the temporary speakers which i am going to buy now & update it to an expensive set later....

i wanna slowly upgrade the speaker system as you & mandeep have suggested me to have a better speakers for my yamaha 863, i wanna invest initially for the barest setup so that i can listen to music & watch movies... please suggest me a good speaker setup with cheap price as the price is the deciding factor for most of us....

please please & please i want one best solution for speaker setup.... i need ur help...

please please & please i want one best solution for speaker setup.... i need ur help...

Sorry, speakers a very personal choice. We have already mentioned some brands. You have to take the effort of auditioning the brands and models and choose for yourself.

BTW, why have you started a new thread?

Cheers

There is a detailed explanation of the various connections and cables used in an AVR in the following thread.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html

Please visit that for complete details. If you any specific questions after reading that, we would be happy to answer them.

Cheers

frankly speaking, i didnt understand a single piece of information from the link you have provided there. but i really appreciate that effort. & its recommended for me to study & understand...

explanation with pics would have been much better including setup procedure... you have just explained the different ports thats all....

waiting for more input from you venku.... you are the life saver of the day for me....

frankly speaking, i didnt understand a single piece of information from the link you have provided there. but i really appreciate that effort. & its recommended for me to study & understand...

explanation with pics would have been much better including setup procedure... you have just explained the different ports thats all....

waiting for more input from you venku.... you are the life saver of the day for me....

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase! Lot of members here tried 663 and 863 and could not get our hands on, as they were selling at sky high rates some time back. 863 is a solid overall performer undoubtedly. Since you are getting such a good AVR, you will be underutilizing its capabilities if you settle down for a cheap speaker set, which is what other members are explaining.

You can audition the brand mentioned by other members and as told by Mr. Venkat, speaker choices are very personal. For e.g., I am happy with my Torvin setup, I should not be surprised if other members call it a crappy ones. So, to give you a list, here it goes:
1. Wharfedale.
2. Jamo.
3. Polk Audio
4. KEF

It is better to go on an incremental basis, for your budget, get the towers now and center channel and then go for surrounds, and then the woofer. Or go for a basis HTIB package, then keep adding the speakers one by one.

Also, the link provided by Mr. Venkat has all the details you needed to select cables, its types, usages, etc., go ahead and spend some time on reading through this forum, you will find lot of discussions around 863 and 663, which may give you a clear picture.

Hope this helps,

from where r u getting 863 at $299? Is it a B stock or a C stock item? I got A-stock 863 at $499 a couple of week back.

i am sorry, have i mentioned it as $299 ??? its $429 with free shipping in 2 days. i am yet to order this. its available at electronic-expo.com. & its brand new. if i have mentioned it as $299 please excuse me. may be i was referring to onkyo hts3200 i guess....

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase! Lot of members here tried 663 and 863 and could not get our hands on, as they were selling at sky high rates some time back.

i have not become the owner of this beauty yet. but i'm dying to become one. its not that costly if u get it from US. around 20k its available there now without tax.

now i'm thinking of happily investing on speakers, but i should save more money for that. i dont know when i will be able to buy all the units required for my AVR like centre system/tower/sub-woofer... dont know what all i may be able to buy.

lets wait & see what all i can buy, once i buy them i will give you all a detailed review about it... till then my fingers are crossed.... :sad:

where are you located dear. ? Refer to my thread in general talk section.

i'm from bangalore. where did u say to come??? is it general chit chat section ???
u were offline by the time i saw ur reply... sorry brother.... will try to see ur reply on time from next time... whats ur speaker setup with yamaha 863 ??? thow some information on ur setup with pics if possible.... how is ur setup performance ???

Venku? Hmmmmm. This is the first time someone has called me that.

I cannot explain the set up procedure unless I know what all you components are - AVR, TV, DVD Player, Set Top Box, Speakers.....

In any case when you buy an AVR, it's comes with an attached manual that explains everything. Once you get the AVR and other items, come back here and may be we can help you.

Cheers

Venku? Hmmmmm. This is the first time someone has called me that.

Cheers

:eek:hyeah:
excuse him for his boldness venkat.. he would not have read some of ur posts in other threads till now..
just for info .. i purchased Yam863 purely on venkat's inputs..
I checked the reviews on various sites.. and was close to getting a denon 1910, but found after auditioning 1910 venkat found that it was not a good enough match for 863. Although 1910 is a better performer in terms of video upscaling, but then that shouldnt be a part of an AVR in the first place..

now interesting to know,which will be the winner in 1910 & 863 if consider only SQ.
Venkat Sir too pls your input.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back