buying yamaha rx-v863, suggest me a good speaker system

manuvaidya

hi pals, i have decided to buy yamaha rx-v863 AV reciever after a lot of research on the internet. i felt its the best choice for me. i am getting it from US from one of my friend.

all i want to know is should i have to buy a 7.1 channel speakers or is it ok if i setup a 5.1 channel speakers because this yamaha is 7.2 channel AVreciever as we all know.

i also want to know about as many good companies as possible for the best performance & best sound output from this reciever at an affordable cost. i am willing to spend 15-20k for the speakers may go upto 25k if i had to.

i really wanna know the pros & cons of the setup suggested by anyone here from any brand & also i wanna know whether my decision of buying yamaha rx-v863 is good ? i dont want to upgrade av reciever in the near future say for 5yrs.... is there any other better reciever which outperforms yamaha in this price segment with sturdy build & long life ???

as i am a noob here, i really wanna know why & how for each & every remark/suggestion made by any advisers here.... please dont mind for my silly questions as i am here to learn as much as possible from all of you. i am really interested in how things work & which one is the best....

expecting a real good & quick answers from all of you....:eek:

hi pals, i have decided to buy yamaha rx-v863 AV reciever after a lot of research on the internet. i felt its the best choice for me. i am getting it from US from one of my friend.

all i want to know is should i have to buy a 7.1 channel speakers or is it ok if i setup a 5.1 channel speakers because this yamaha is 7.2 channel AVreciever as we all know.

i also want to know about as many good companies as possible for the best performance & best sound output from this reciever at an affordable cost. i am willing to spend 15-20k for the speakers may go upto 25k if i had to.

i really wanna know the pros & cons of the setup suggested by anyone here from any brand & also i wanna know whether my decision of buying yamaha rx-v863 is good ? i dont want to upgrade av reciever in the near future say for 5yrs.... is there any other better reciever which outperforms yamaha in this price segment with sturdy build & long life ???

as i am a noob here, i really wanna know why & how for each & every remark/suggestion made by any advisers here.... please dont mind for my silly questions as i am here to learn as much as possible from all of you. i am really interested in how things work & which one is the best....

expecting a real good & quick answers from all of you....:eek:

if you are going for 5.1 speaker setup for 25k, no use getting 863, i suppose u can go for a cheaper amp such as 1610, or 463
generally thumb rule is that 5.1 speaker setup should be 150-200% of the cost of the AVR..
if you are going to build a 5.1 slowly, say purchasing a pair of bookshelves now and yamaha 863 is very good, although a slightly expensive marantz 6004 or 650 series from CA is even better.

Hey

Are you looking in to buy, 5.1 Speaker Package for Rs.25K Max..???
Or it is just you are starting slow in order to build up a good system...

See in case if you want the full 5.1, then plz spare the good old Yamaha 863...
its not meant for that kind of systems, and rather take a cheap system in all...for approx Rs.50K...

But,

If you want only the fronts BS/FS initially, then there are many options you can pursue...

Brands for look into are..

Q Acoustics - BS - Rs.12/15K FS - Rs.29K
Wharfedale - BS - Rs.10-16K FS - Rs.25K
Mission - BS - Rs.18-25K
Quad - BS - Rs.22-25K
May be Dali - BS - Rs.22-25K

Audition them, and then finalise....

And if i am not wrong, most of the members, will suggest you the same..
i.e. to go in for proper speakers rather to go in for 5.1 crap speakers with a Amplifier like 863/865...

Hey

Are you looking in to buy, 5.1 Speaker Package for Rs.25K Max..???
Or it is just you are starting slow in order to build up a good system...

See in case if you want the full 5.1, then plz spare the good old Yamaha 863...
its not meant for that kind of systems, and rather take a cheap system in all...for approx Rs.50K...

But,

If you want only the fronts BS/FS initially, then there are many options you can pursue...

Brands for look into are..

Q Acoustics - BS - Rs.12/15K FS - Rs.29K
Wharfedale - BS - Rs.10-16K FS - Rs.25K
Mission - BS - Rs.18-25K
Quad - BS - Rs.22-25K
May be Dali - BS - Rs.22-25K

Audition them, and then finalise....

And if i am not wrong, most of the members, will suggest you the same..
i.e. to go in for proper speakers rather to go in for 5.1 crap speakers with a Amplifier like 863/865...

first of all thanks for your valuable inputs, i didnt understand one thing in that though.
you mean is my AV reciever choice is bad or should i go for the above mentioned branded speakers ??? what do u mean by the old yamaha rx-v863 means ???? it supports all the formats & it has got a very good review in almost every forum. i felt its a great value for money....

i am really a noob here, kindly suggest me the best set up. all i want is a good setup. i am planning to setup a 5.1 or 7.1 channel speaker system so that whatever i prefer to see/use it for, it should provide me a satisfaction.... i want the ultimate output from the setup which i am going to buy....

now you tell me which set up is the best for small & medium room of indian standards including the cables or extras with sub-woofer & satellites & main speakers.... i really dont understand a thing about it.... what is a satellite, what is FS, BS & what is tweeter & why do we use all these & where do we use all together ??? should we have to use all these to get a best sound output ???

i am more into music especially R&B & movies should also sound the best. i want a big bass & it should not look cheap at full volume....

sorry for vomitting all these requirements & thoughts thats going on in my mind. i hope you understand how it feels when u r deciding to buy a good home theatre system with plenty of options available in front of you... now you /anyone here please help me or clarify my doubts to get an ultimate HT system i could afford..... pros & cons required including the cost of the setup overall.... please do this favour for me... i am really confused.... :sad:

if you are going for 5.1 speaker setup for 25k, no use getting 863.

+1 to that, for about 25K you can get a pair of wharfedale 9.5, for Rs 30,000-00 MRP (latest price list of wharfedale speakers is attached for other wharfedale speaker options also) , expect 10-15% discount. I auditioned them paired with a yamaha amp once, the sound is just awesome/exceptionally good. These would be good for movies as well as music.

but as said a number of times here in the forum "when choosing speakers, you should choose speakers that sound good to your own ears", the selection varies a lot from person to person.

Regards:)

Attachments

• WH-MRP (w.e.f. 1 July 2009).pdf
    13 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
thanks mandeep for ur kind reply... you didnt make any comment on whether 863 is a good reciever or not.... can i get any reciever better than this from US??? also how about me having a customized speakers on my own with the help of a guide.... there are several websites which help you do that also....

kindly throw some light on that issue also reciever & why wharfedale diamond 9.5 only as there are other models also.... how to choose the best pair of speakers within the particular brand ???

i am really confused.... please suggest me one good pair of music system.:sad:

Yamaha 863 is a very good receiver. Since you are not planning to upgrade it for 5 years, I would suggest you compare it with 865 (newer version) and see if it more future proof.

What people are suggesting is that 863 is a higher end AV and any 5.1 speaker system under 25K won't do justice to it. So, either scale down your AV or increase your speaker budget or buy BS/FS pair right now for 25K and then add sub and surround later.

The only way to choose your speaker is by listening to them with the AV you are planning to purchase. Its a matter of choice and is very subjective. So there is no getting around auditioning a lot as there is no set formula. Auditioning is a journey you should enjoy rather than make it a errand.

thanks mandeep for ur kind reply... you didnt make any comment on whether 863 is a good reciever or not.... can i get any reciever better than this from US??? also how about me having a customized speakers on my own with the help of a guide.... there are several websites which help you do that also....

kindly throw some light on that issue also reciever & why wharfedale diamond 9.5 only as there are other models also.... how to choose the best pair of speakers within the particular brand ???

yamaha 863 is the best u can get for the amount it is being offered.

like i pointed earlier also please audition different speakers/brands with your own ears with 863 (if possible), thats the only perfect solution.

DIY is also a good option

@mandeep: sorry for being so dumb & childish. i hope i didnt make you feel angry.
unfortunately i am getting 863 from US @ $299 . only i am getting the reciever. should i also have to order any other stuffs along with this like cables /ports as monster HDMI cables are famous in this regard.
can i build my own speaker system with this yamaha 863 ??? if yes, what are the things i should consider in that homework. i also have one more doubt, can i able to match the outcome of those customized speakers with that of yamaha being such a high end reciever ??? if yes should i focus on 5.1 or 7.1 ???
i also need a simple & brief explanation of how many satellites/surround speakers & FS & BS do i need ??? sorry for being so noob....:sad: i am learning... please let me know about it in detail. if u really get irritated by my silly question, please guide me where i can learn all the basics about this speakers & its components. it should be simple & detailed....

i really appreciate ur valuable time & kind advices.... keep up the good work bro...:clapping:

@mandeep: sorry for being so dumb & childish. i hope i didnt make you feel angry.
unfortunately i am getting 863 from US @ $299 . only i am getting the reciever. should i also have to order any other stuffs along with this like cables /ports as monster HDMI cables are famous in this regard.
can i build my own speaker system with this yamaha 863 ??? if yes, what are the things i should consider in that homework. i also have one more doubt, can i able to match the outcome of those customized speakers with that of yamaha being such a high end reciever ??? if yes should i focus on 5.1 or 7.1 ???
i also need a simple & brief explanation of how many satellites/surround speakers & FS & BS do i need ??? sorry for being so noob....:sad: i am learning... please let me know about it in detail. if u really get irritated by my silly question, please guide me where i can learn all the basics about this speakers & its components. it should be simple & detailed....

i really appreciate ur valuable time & kind advices.... keep up the good work bro...:clapping:

hello dear

No way, no reason to feel angry brother:)

The receiver you are getting is a HDMI 1.3 spec compatible.

The Hdmi cable to get should be at least 1.3 spec compatible or should be of higher spec like HDMI spec 1.4

I personally prefer DAC cables for VFM (below is the pricelist for DAC cables).

Avoid too expensive cables because their price vs performance is very low.

Buy 8 ohm speakers the yamaha 863 Amp will give more smooth/accurate/easy performance with them , but you can also use 6 ohm speakers, but avoid 4 ohms as they will be difficult to drive.

for small rooms:buy BS
for medium to large rooms:buy FS

below is a short tutorial on how to choose/what to consider while purchasing speakers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)Budget

The starting point is the amount you want to spend. Yes, its possible to get better sounding speakers in a limited budget also.

(2)Size,shape,wattage,Ohms etc

First you have to decide whether you want to go for Big one's or the smaller one's , if you have smaller room example 12 ' L x 9' W, then small size speakers would do good/look good, for a medium/larger room, for example 18' L X 12' W, bigger floorstanders would do good/look good. Wattage needed mostly depends on the Amplifier's o/p wattage, the nominal input wattage of a speaker should roughly match the output wattage of an amplifier.(but its always better that the amplifier have more wattage than vice - versa, for punch,dynamics, detail etc in sound ouput from the speakers).Its also important to know before hand whether your amplifier support 4 ohms/6ohms/8ohms speakers or not,some support all some not.So read the mannul of your amplifier and note down which speakers will it support.

(3)Try at home

If the dealer let's you put down a deposit and try them at home,then try them in the exact positions where you hope to end up using them, B'coz, the acoustic space in a showrom is different from your home.

(4)Take your time,there is no hurry

Audition with your own material (CD's, DVD's etc). Listen to the same songs, and movies over, and over again with the different speakers. Take your time, and have fun auditioning. And always remember the golden rule:- Always buy speakers that sound good to your ears not others, choosing speakers is a personal matter, b'coz choices differ from person to person.

(5)Get involved with member get-togethers

Another great way is to get involved with member get-togethers.
Its a great way to
1. Meet new people.
2. Learn.
3.audition speakers

(6)Buy from an authorised dealer only
If you want ultimate peace of mind buy only from an authorised dealer with bill and warranty.Ask where they have a service center and get all details.

(7)Look for web/internet resources

You can Search/Google for interesting articles on speakers, both general and technical.You can also get tentative/exact price's also like here in our very own and one of the greatest site "HIFIVISION.COM".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And below is the short tutorial on how to choose/what to consider while purchasing Amplifiers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)Budget:-

The starting point is the amount you want to spend. Yes, its possible to get better amplifier in a limited budget also. Mostly 5.1 channel receivers are less costly than 7.1 channel receivers.

(2)Main Decision Making Factors:-

Decide accurately based on these points carefully, Take All Factors Into Consideration,:-

(a) Power Ratings (WPC):-

AV receiver, always lists the Watts-Per-Channel rating. One receiver has 50 Watts-Per-Channel (WPC), another one has 75, and still another has 100.

The more watts the better right? Not Necessarily

An amplifier with 100 WPC is twice as loud as 50 WPC right? Not exactly

An amplifier rated at 100 WPC is capable of twice the volume level of a 10 WPC amp, an amplifier rated at 100 watts per channel needs to be 1,000 watts per channel to be twice as loud. In other words, the relationship between volume and wattage output is 1 to 10 rather than 1 to 1.

Power Spec at full bandwidth, 20 Hz to 20 kHz and at 1kHz:

Full disclosure specs will show power specs over the entire 20 Hz to 20 kHz audio range . Sometimes power is spec'd only at 1 kHz, or worst. When a receiver company rates their amp at 1kHz, this usually means a full bandwidth measurement of power will be about 10-15% lower, i.e power rated 95 WPC @1Khz could be only 75-80 WPC over the entire 20 Hz to 20 kHz audio range.

(b) Distortion (THD):-.

Amount of change in harmonic content of the signal as it is amplified..It is measured in percentage terms, where the percentage represents the amount of distortion present in the audio signal at full output level. It consists of all the nonlinearities in the signal, which may or may not be harmonically related to the input signal, plus noise. A lower figure indicates less change and a more accurate amp. Most receivers are rated at 0.9% or lower,the lower the better.

You are better off with a receiver of about 50 WPC with a low distortion level than a more powerful amplifier with high Total harmonic distortion levels.

(C) Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N)

Another factor is Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N), which is ratio of sound to background noise. The larger the ratio, the more the desirable sounds (music, voice, effects) are separated from acoustical effects and background noise. In amplifier specifications S/N ratios are expressed in decibels. A S/N ratio of 100db is much more desirable that a S/N ratio of 70db.

(3)Features worth to have now a days:-

More advanced functions to consider when buying a Home Theater Receiver, such as Multi-Room Audio, iPod, Networking, and HD HDMI Audio/Video Connectivity, HD sound decoding, Matrix feature to up-mix 5.1 channel sound sources/tracks to 7.1 for 7.1 speaker setups/recievers (this feature is most sought after by many)

Deinterlacing:-

This is a process whereby video signals coming in from the Composite or S-Video inputs are converted from interlaced scan to progressive scan (480i to 480p) and then output via Component or HDMI outputs to the TV. This improves the quality of the image, making it smoother and more acceptable for display on an HDTV.

However, keep in mind that not all receivers can perform this function well.

Video Upscaling:-

In addition to deinterlacing, another level of video processing is becoming more common in home theater receivers is Upscaling. Upscaling is a function that, after the deinterlacing process is done, upscales the number of pixels to match a specific screen resolution, such as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.

(4)Room size, etc and power required:-

How much amplifier power you need,depends largely on

(a)Speaker sensitivity:

Briefly, with the same power, a more sensitive speaker will play louder than one with less sensitivity. High sensitivity range is > 90db.

(b)Room size:

Everything else being equal, a larger room absorbs more power than a small room. That's because the speaker sound we hear is the sum total of direct and reflected sounds, and sound pressure diminishes with distance. Hence, to overcome the increased volume of a large room, an amp needs to put out more power.

(c)Listener distance.

This can be independent of room size. If you sit close to the speakers, even in a large room, you will be using less power than if you sit farther away.

(d)Your average playback level:

Average listening levels (neither background nor party but, well, normal) require less power than you may think -- the average listening level requires somewhere around 10 watts in a standard 20'L x 14'W x 9'H room.

5)Try at home

If the dealer let's you put down a deposit and try them at home,B'coz, the acoustic space in a showrom is different from your home.

(6)Take your time,there is no hurry

Audition with your own material (CD's, DVD's etc). Listen to the same songs, and movies over, and over again with the different recievers and your own set of speakers(But ensure whether your amplifier support the impdance of your speakers in ohms or not,set accordingly the setting on the amplifier to required 4ohm/6ohm/8ohm). Take your time, and have fun auditioning.

(7)Get involved with member get-togethers

Its a great way to

1. Meet new people.
2. Learn.
3. Audition various combination of recievers and speakers

(8)Buy from an authorised dealer only

If you want ultimate peace of mind buy only from an authorised dealer with bill and warranty.Ask where they have a service center and get all details.

(9)Look for web/internet resources

You can Search/Google for interesting articles and reviews on recievers, both general and technical.You can also get tentative/exact price's also like here in our very own and one of the greatest site "HIFIVISION.COM".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this will help

regards:)

Attachments

• DAC-MRP (w.e.f. 7 Sept 2009).pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 36
hello dear

No way, no reason to feel angry brother:)

The receiver you are getting is a HDMI 1.3 spec compatible.

The Hdmi cable to get should be at least 1.3 spec compatible or should be of higher spec like HDMI spec 1.4

I personally prefer DAC cables for VFM (below is the pricelist for DAC cables).

Avoid too expensive cables because their price vs performance is very low.

Buy 8 ohm speakers the yamaha 863 Amp will give more smooth/accurate/easy performance with them , but you can also use 6 ohm speakers, but avoid 4 ohms as they will be difficult to drive.

for small rooms:buy BS
for medium to large rooms:buy FS

below is a short tutorial on how to choose/what to consider while purchasing speakers

(1)Budget

The starting point is the amount you want to spend. Yes, its possible to get better sounding speakers in a limited budget also.

(2)Size,shape,wattage,Ohms etc

First you have to decide whether you want to go for Big one's or the smaller one's , if you have smaller room example 12 ' L x 9' W, then small size speakers would do good/look good, for a medium/larger room, for example 18' L X 12' W, bigger floorstanders would do good/look good. Wattage needed mostly depends on the Amplifier's o/p wattage, the nominal input wattage of a speaker should roughly match the output wattage of an amplifier.(but its always better that the amplifier have more wattage than vice - versa, for punch,dynamics, detail etc in sound ouput from the speakers).Its also important to know before hand whether your amplifier support 4 ohms/6ohms/8ohms speakers or not,some support all some not.So read the mannul of your amplifier and note down which speakers will it support.

(3)Try at home

If the dealer let's you put down a deposit and try them at home,then try them in the exact positions where you hope to end up using them, B'coz, the acoustic space in a showrom is different from your home.

(4)Take your time,there is no hurry

Audition with your own material (CD's, DVD's etc). Listen to the same songs, and movies over, and over again with the different speakers. Take your time, and have fun auditioning. And always remember the golden rule:- Always buy speakers that sound good to your ears not others, choosing speakers is a personal matter, b'coz choices differ from person to person.

(5)Get involved with member get-togethers

Its a great way to
1. Meet new people.
2. Learn.
3.audition speakers

(6)Buy from an authorised dealer only

(7)Look for web/internet resources

You can Search/Google for interesting articles on speakers, both general and technical.You can also get tentative/exact price's also like here in our very own and one of the greatest site "HIFIVISION.COM".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And below is the short tutorial on how to choose/what to consider while purchasing Amplifiers

(1)Budget:-

The starting point is the amount you want to spend. Yes, its possible to get better amplifier in a limited budget also. Mostly 5.1 channel receivers are less costly than 7.1 channel receivers.

(2)Main Decision Making Factors:-

Decide accurately based on these points carefully, Take All Factors Into Consideration,:-

(a) Power Ratings (WPC):-

AV receiver, always lists the Watts-Per-Channel rating. One receiver has 50 Watts-Per-Channel (WPC), another one has 75, and still another has 100.

The more watts the better right? Not Necessarily

An amplifier with 100 WPC is twice as loud as 50 WPC right? Not exactly

An amplifier rated at 100 WPC is capable of twice the volume level of a 10 WPC amp, an amplifier rated at 100 watts per channel needs to be 1,000 watts per channel to be twice as loud. In other words, the relationship between volume and wattage output is 1 to 10 rather than 1 to 1.

Power Spec at full bandwidth, 20 Hz to 20 kHz and at 1kHz:

Full disclosure specs will show power specs over the entire 20 Hz to 20 kHz audio range . Sometimes power is spec'd only at 1 kHz, or worst. When a receiver company rates their amp at 1kHz, this usually means a full bandwidth measurement of power will be about 10-15% lower, i.e power rated 95 WPC @1Khz could be only 75-80 WPC over the entire 20 Hz to 20 kHz audio range.

(b) Distortion (THD):-.

Amount of change in harmonic content of the signal as it is amplified..It is measured in percentage terms, where the percentage represents the amount of distortion present in the audio signal at full output level. It consists of all the nonlinearities in the signal, which may or may not be harmonically related to the input signal, plus noise. A lower figure indicates less change and a more accurate amp. Most receivers are rated at 0.9% or lower,the lower the better.

You are better off with a receiver of about 50 WPC with a low distortion level than a more powerful amplifier with high Total harmonic distortion levels.

(C) Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N)

Another factor is Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N), which is ratio of sound to background noise. The larger the ratio, the more the desirable sounds (music, voice, effects) are separated from acoustical effects and background noise. In amplifier specifications S/N ratios are expressed in decibels. A S/N ratio of 100db is much more desirable that a S/N ratio of 70db.

(3)Features worth to have now a days:-

More advanced functions to consider when buying a Home Theater Receiver, such as Multi-Room Audio, iPod, Networking, and HD HDMI Audio/Video Connectivity, HD sound decoding, Matrix feature to up-mix 5.1 channel sound sources/tracks to 7.1 for 7.1 speaker setups/recievers (this feature is most sought after by many)

Deinterlacing:-

This is a process whereby video signals coming in from the Composite or S-Video inputs are converted from interlaced scan to progressive scan (480i to 480p) and then output via Component or HDMI outputs to the TV. This improves the quality of the image, making it smoother and more acceptable for display on an HDTV.

However, keep in mind that not all receivers can perform this function well.

Video Upscaling:-

In addition to deinterlacing, another level of video processing is becoming more common in home theater receivers is Upscaling. Upscaling is a function that, after the deinterlacing process is done, upscales the number of pixels to match a specific screen resolution, such as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.

(4)Room size, etc and power required:-

How much amplifier power you need,depends largely on

(a)Speaker sensitivity:

Briefly, with the same power, a more sensitive speaker will play louder than one with less sensitivity. High sensitivity range is > 90db.

(b)Room size:

Everything else being equal, a larger room absorbs more power than a small room. That's because the speaker sound we hear is the sum total of direct and reflected sounds, and sound pressure diminishes with distance. Hence, to overcome the increased volume of a large room, an amp needs to put out more power.

(c)Listener distance.

This can be independent of room size. If you sit close to the speakers, even in a large room, you will be using less power than if you sit farther away.

(d)Your average playback level:

Average listening levels (neither background nor party but, well, normal) require less power than you may think -- the average listening level requires somewhere around 10 watts in a standard 20'L x 14'W x 9'H room.

5)Try at home

If the dealer let's you put down a deposit and try them at home,B'coz, the acoustic space in a showrom is different from your home.

(6)Take your time,there is no hurry

Audition with your own material (CD's, DVD's etc). Listen to the same songs, and movies over, and over again with the different recievers and your own set of speakers(But ensure whether your amplifier support the impdance of your speakers in ohms or not,set accordingly the setting on the amplifier to required 4ohm/6ohm/8ohm). Take your time, and have fun auditioning.

(7)Get involved with member get-togethers

Its a great way to

1. Meet new people.
2. Learn.
3. Audition various combination of recievers and speakers

(8)Buy from an authorised dealer only

(9)Look for web/internet resources

You can Search/Google for interesting articles and reviews on recievers, both general and technical.You can also get tentative/exact price's also like here in our very own and one of the greatest site "HIFIVISION.COM".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this will help

WOW !!! exhaustive guide there... u r the guru of sound physics... is this ur passion ???
if not then how do u know so much about these man ???
i am impressed by ur knowledge. anyway, nice effort to convince me that what to look for while purchasing speakers & amps...

tell me one thing, in a particular brand, how to compare the features each other & where. i couldnt find a single site doing that like we do compare mobile phones right !!!

according to you, what would be the dream setup for yamaha 863 & is there any other amp better than yamaha in the same price range ???

i also wanna know can i build my own speakers by using quality materials ? if yes should i have to purchase all the components from abroad or will i get the necessory stuff in india??? i am more of an adventurous guy. so i dont mind spending some time assembling the speaker unit if the situation & quality of sound demands provided the essential materials are available....

what do you think mandeep... your input is highly recommended & also other audio gurus here, please dont feel offended, i also welcome your inputs please.... :sad:

Other option to Yam can be current Denon 1910.
Spk shld match the amp OR you will not enjoy the system.

Other option to Yam can be current Denon 1910.
Spk shld match the amp OR you will not enjoy the system.

how much does denon costs ??? where do i buy it in bangalore if at all i decide to buy it.
one more question, can i build my own speakers using DIY guide ? will i get all the materials to do so ??? please tell me....:eek:

WOW !!! exhaustive guide there... u r the guru of sound physics... is this ur passion ???
if not then how do u know so much about these man ???
i am impressed by ur knowledge. anyway, nice effort to convince me that what to look for while purchasing speakers & amps...

tell me one thing, in a particular brand, how to compare the features each other & where. i couldnt find a single site doing that like we do compare mobile phones right !!!

according to you, what would be the dream setup for yamaha 863 & is there any other amp better than yamaha in the same price range ???

i also wanna know can i build my own speakers by using quality materials ? if yes should i have to purchase all the components from abroad or will i get the necessory stuff in india??? i am more of an adventurous guy. so i dont mind spending some time assembling the speaker unit if the situation & quality of sound demands provided the essential materials are available....

what do you think mandeep... your input is highly recommended & also other audio gurus here, please dont feel offended, i also welcome your inputs please.... :sad:

I am NO GURU, its the magic of this great FORUM that works.:)

For DIY speakers plz follow this link below

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/4250-all-speakers-i-made-suri.html

Suri and others our fellow member's can surely guide u in the right direction

how much does denon costs ??? where do i buy it in bangalore if at all i decide to buy it.
one more question, can i build my own speakers using DIY guide ? will i get all the materials to do so ??? please tell me....:eek:

The lowest cost is 38k.In grey you may get for 34k?
denon

Denon 1910 has a MRP of Rs 45000/-, but you can get it for 37-38K after discount. According to Denon official website, Profx is the only authorised distributers in india.
Some also say KEI here, but not listed on the denon website.

Distributer/dealer info in bangalore:-

(1) PRO FX GLOBAL THEATRE
Dynamic House. 64, Church Street
Bangalore - 560 001
INDIA , TEL: 080-5768-6722

(2) M/s Griha Vaibhava Marketing Pvt. Ltd
Contact No: 080-41214174 / 5
Email: [email protected]

Denon 1910 has a MRP of Rs 45000/-, but you can get it for 37-38K after discount. According to Denon official website, Profx is the only authorised distributers in india.
Some also say KEI here, but not listed on the denon website.

Distributer/dealer info in bangalore:-

(1) PRO FX GLOBAL THEATRE
Dynamic House. 64, Church Street
Bangalore - 560 001
INDIA , TEL: 080-5768-6722

(2) M/s Griha Vaibhava Marketing Pvt. Ltd
Contact No: 080-41214174 / 5
Email: [email protected]

thanks mandeep . i dont think i can afford denon. i would stick on to yamaha rx-v863. this is my first AV reciever, i cant make out what that big difference i am missing if i buy yamaha instead of denon.

as suggested by you, i would prefer buying wharfedale 9.5 BS if the DIY speaker guide isnt working out my way..... one more question, do i require a satellite or any additional stuff along with these two ???

also cables are way cheaper in US compared to here. i was going through ur attachment of price lists of cables.... man i can get it from US for dirt cheap with better quality....

thanks for all the information you have provided. i really appreciate ur hard work. i will disturb you in the future for further information/knoledge.. please dont mind....

The 863 is an excellent amp. In a way it is even better than newer models that has come from Yamaha. The only new additional feature you will get in newer models is Dolby IIz decoder.

Manu, in my opinion, unless you have a passion for DIY and lots of money to blow, it is not worthwhile building speakers yourself. People such as Suri and Soundsgreat have spent endless hours in experimenting and making various audio equipment. With the limited budget you have and the limited requirment you have, it does not make sense to go the DIY way. Though you might get drivers at lower prices, unless you have extensive experience, the end result in terms of the speakers made will not be satisfactory. It is far easier to just get good speakers and leave it at that.

Where are you , by the way. In Chennai, there is a Taiwanese company that sells complete 5.1 speaker set for about 30K. The speakers look eaxctly like the Wharfedales and sound quite decent. Another option is to get speakers from local manufacturers such as Craftel in Chennai. Mark of Craftel makes some good speakers at very attractive prices.

Cheers

first of all thanks for your valuable inputs, i didnt understand one thing in that though.

you mean is my AV reciever choice is bad or should i go for the above mentioned branded speakers ??? what do u mean by the old yamaha rx-v863 means ???? it supports all the formats & it has got a very good review in almost every forum. i felt its a great value for money....

i am really a noob here, kindly suggest me the best set up. all i want is a good setup. i am planning to setup a 5.1 or 7.1 channel speaker system so that whatever i prefer to see/use it for, it should provide me a satisfaction.... i want the ultimate output from the setup which i am going to buy....

now you tell me which set up is the best for small & medium room of indian standards including the cables or extras with sub-woofer & satellites & main speakers.... i really dont understand a thing about it.... what is a satellite, what is FS, BS & what is tweeter & why do we use all these & where do we use all together ??? should we have to use all these to get a best sound output ???

i am more into music especially R&B & movies should also sound the best. i want a big bass & it should not look cheap at full volume....

sorry for vomitting all these requirements & thoughts thats going on in my mind. i hope you understand how it feels when u r deciding to buy a good home theatre system with plenty of options available in front of you... now you /anyone here please help me or clarify my doubts to get an ultimate HT system i could afford..... pros & cons required including the cost of the setup overall.... please do this favour for me... i am really confused.... :sad:

Buddy

Please go through my post again...
I never said that Yamaha 863 is a bad amplifier.. its quite good...
The good old means...Steady and Reliable ...

Yes whats not good out here is the speaker selection...
You need to understand that getting this amplifier and using some crap speakers with it, will be like getting a crane to pick up a stone...

So think of it...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back