CA 640V2 VS Marantz PM7003

Sumit

Hey!!

I am planning to buy either of the above two amps. I would be driving PSB image T55 with the same.
Does any of the forum members have some experience on the above?
Currently I am using a Marantz SR 5001 receiver. I like the two channel sound of the marantz. How much different is the Marantz sound from the CA?

Thanks.

It is very difficult to answer as both are competent units. The best would be for you to audition both and decide.

You will get enough people who will side with both brands. I would say since you have been using Marantz, stick to Marantz unless you find the CA dramatically different. So, in my opinion, auditioning just the CA will do for you. The Marantz sound signature will be or should be similar to what you already have.

Cheers

also listen to nad. its a sister concern of psb and apparently pairs very well. but like venkat said, listen to it - its all about personal preferences

also listen to nad. its a sister concern of psb and apparently pairs very well. but like venkat said, listen to it - its all about personal preferences

They are quite comparable price wise though with different sound signatures.

CA did revamp a lot of gear after quality issues in the 4** & 5** series. (hence the new version no. and v2 branding).

This amp is very good as well. below is my subjective take and even then the difference is small. So take it that way.

Soundstage : Marantz > CA
Dynamics : CA > Marantz
Fatigue (less is better) : CA > Marantz
Upgrade path : Marantz > CA
Build/Looks : Marantz > CA

Soundstage : Marantz > CA
Dynamics : CA > Marantz
Fatigue (less is better) : CA > Marantz
Upgrade path : Marantz > CA
Build/Looks : Marantz > CA

I would agree on the above counts except for the "Upgrade path" which I did not quite understand what is meant by it.

Sumit, I have heard the CA 640A (couple of years ago, was it v2 at that time?) and also the Marantz PM7001 (the earlier version). If the 7003 amp is similar to or better than the 7001, then my personal preference would be the Marantz. But then, as others said it's your sound preference and speaker pairing is also important. For long listening sessions, the Marantz would definitely be a better choice in my mind. Marantz PM 7001 is smoother and musically more involving amp than the CA 640A. These amps are available everywhere, and you should be able to audition keeping the accompanying gear the same as much as possible.

HI!!

Venkat> I did take a demo of 640 and quite liked it. The speakers used were MS performance series. I am trying to arrange a demo at my place. I want to experience the difference in my set-up from AVR to integrated. Some ppl claim it to be night vs day.

An interesting feature of the PM7003 is the 'direct-in'. One is able to connect pre-out from the AVR vide this. The integrated here is used as a power amp only. I feel this is a useful feature and HT volume can be controlled by one remote only.

Marsilians> By your comparison, you seem to be tilting the Marantz way.

AFJ> Yes, PSB's are more often than not paired with NAD because of obvious reasons. For the demo of NAD, I will have to go to Bombay which is not very convenient for me at the moment. Some NAD users can probably shed some light here.

As far as I know I have not come across any other PSB user in this forum besides me. This would have made things a little bit easier.

There seems to be a Marantz mania in this forum. Just joking.

As far as I know I have not come across any other PSB user in this forum besides me. This would have made things a little bit easier.

I have used PSB (Alpha B1s) quite extensively with a Yamaha. TheVortex is a regular user of PSB, though with a Marantz amp.

Cheers

As I have said before "below is my subjective take and even then the difference is small. So take it that way."

HI!!

This means that its worth auditioning both before making the call.

HI!!

AFJ> Yes, PSB's are more often than not paired with NAD because of obvious reasons. For the demo of NAD, I will have to go to Bombay which is not very convenient for me at the moment. Some NAD users can probably shed some light here.

i havent listened to a cambridge amp but from what i've heard its slightly more neutral than a nad - the nad being warm. i wasnt too happy with the bass in the nad - its a little laid back. the cambridge is tighter. but some say that the cambridge is also a bit too clinical and thinner on the mids / vocals, which i love about the nad

Sumit, Do audition the 7003, because the grade of components used in the multi-channel 5001 will be significantly inferior to the grade of components used in the 7003, so the 5001 may not give you a good idea of the sound of the 7003. As Venkat said, there are fans of both brands on these forums, and they both have their strengths and weaknesses, so do listen extensively and then buy.

Sumit, Do audition the 7003, because the grade of components used in the multi-channel 5001 will be significantly inferior to the grade of components used in the 7003, so the 5001 may not give you a good idea of the sound of the 7003.

Psychotropic> You mentioned 'significantly inferior'. Do you think the difference would be night and day b/w SR5001 and integrated PM7003??

I am planning an audition in the coming week. I think there is a good 10k difference b/w CA 640 and PM7003. But, if 7003 deserves the extra dough then I am going ahead with it.

thanks

i am not familiar with the facts, but this is my logic

the SR5001 amplifies 6 channels and costs X rupees, the SR7003 amplifies 2 channels and costs >X Therefore logically the components used in the 5001 would be inferior. But have a listen and judge for yourself.

Psychotropic> You mentioned 'significantly inferior'. Do you think the difference would be night and day b/w SR5001 and integrated PM7003??

I am planning an audition in the coming week. I think there is a good 10k difference b/w CA 640 and PM7003. But, if 7003 deserves the extra dough then I am going ahead with it.

thanks

No offence Pschotropic, but I dont understand your logic. I agree that price is also a factor to determine quality of a particular product. But, it is not the only factor. Furthermore, No. of channels VS Price is an 'interesting concept'.

I shall be eager to see what others have to say for AVR vs integrated sound; and Psychotropic's logic.

Cheers

the SR5001 amplifies 6 channels and costs X rupees, the SR7003 amplifies 2 channels and costs >X Therefore logically the components used in the 5001 would be inferior. But have a listen and judge for yourself.

This is a logic thrown around by many people. I also remember where Magma was specifically asking why 2 channel amps were more costly than multichannel amps.

I think this has to do more with the economics of numbers (volume of (production), supply and demand, rather than parts inside. As I have mentioned many times before, I don't think that a company such as Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon could afford to insert inferior parts in products that sells in thousands. Thinking that way, an amp costing 100,000 dollars should have gold, platinum inside, when in reality it has transistors, capacitors and PCBs. Yes, some transistors are better, but this cannot justify a cost differential of say 80,000 dollars. Design, volume you expect to sell, brand ID, IP, and a host of other factors play in the pricing game. I think the actual cost differential in terms of better parts would be a few 100 dollars at the most..

Anyhow this has been discussed in length. Please read http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...rated-amps-more-expensive-than-recievers.html for all the arguments.

Cheers

Well Said, Venkat.

Update on price part: CA 640---approx 28k, PM7003 ----approx 34.8K MRP
There isn't much difference. Hence, price is not going to play a role here.

sumit if i understand correctly you want to upgrade from your marantz avr to a marantz stereo or the cambridge 640 2 channel. what is it that you like about your current marantz and what is it that you find lacking

sumit if i understand correctly you want to upgrade from your marantz avr to a marantz stereo or the cambridge 640 2 channel. what is it that you like about your current marantz and what is it that you find lacking

My marantz AVR looses its way at higher volumes. I have a habit to hear music at higher levels. I also feel that mp3 music is a tad bit on the shrill side. I have to keep the treble flat or below zero to make myself comfortable.

Normal CD's WAV etc are very rich and clear. I enjoy this part. But, I think there is a room for improvement.

Sumit

My marantz AVR looses its way at higher volumes. I have a habit to hear music at higher levels. I also feel that mp3 music is a tad bit on the shrill side. I have to keep the treble flat or below zero to make myself comfortable.

Sumit, please learn to hear at sane volumes. See how you can deaden the room to external noises and lower the volume of your amp. If you hear at high volumes continuously you will damage your ears irreversibly.

Something around 70 to 75 dB is about the max you should listen. Use a SPL meter to measure the sound coming out of your speakers. Never increase beyond 75dB. At around 85dB you start damaging your ear. It is not worth it. You must train yourself to listen to music at low volumes.

Just google for sound levels. Here is one link: http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Cheers

Last edited:
Sumit, please learn to hear at sane volumes. See how you can deaden the room to external noises and lower the volume of your amp. If you hear at high volumes continuously you will damage your ears irreversibly.

Something around 70 to 75 dB is about the max you should listen. Use a SPL meter to measure the sound coming out of your speakers. Never increase beyond 75dB. At around 85dB you start damaging your ear. It is not worth it. You must train yourself to listen to music at low volumes.

Just google for sound levels. Here is one link: Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart

Cheers
Thanks for valuable infor, Venkat.
I have a radioshack SPl meter. I shall calibrate accordingly.

Sumit

I would agree on the above counts except for the "Upgrade path" which I did not quite understand what is meant by it.

Hi Asit,

By upgrade I mean that the other components offers by Marantz pair very well as will newer models, i.e., newer power amp, CD, SACD player, etc.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back