CA DVD99 v. Marantz CD5001 v. Marantz CD6002 v. CA 540C V2

Psychotropic,

I have also heard the Nad 542 CDP critically. It is a really good player and way above anything discussed including the Marantz 6002. Actually one should not even compare the 542 and the 6002. It's a product from a different bracket. The 542 should be compared with the Marantz 7001 player.

The only issue here is that it's an used item in this case. So all the usual checks have to be done. Do not buy it if you are not too sure about the seller, otherwise if the seller is a genuine first user and has kept it in good shape and all this can be sort of verified, go ahead. At that price, it'll be steal.

Thanks Asit for your insights. With yours and Dinyaar's recommendations the 542 sounds like a very compelling option at that price. Needless to say i'll check the unit thoroughly before i put cash down. Thanks again.

Psychotropic,

I have also heard the Nad 542 CDP critically. It is a really good player and way above anything discussed including the Marantz 6002. Actually one should not even compare the 542 and the 6002. It's a product from a different bracket. The 542 should be compared with the Marantz 7001 player.

The only issue here is that it's an used item in this case. So all the usual checks have to be done. Do not buy it if you are not too sure about the seller, otherwise if the seller is a genuine first user and has kept it in good shape and all this can be sort of verified, go ahead. At that price, it'll be steal.

i beg to differ though, with a standalone CD player, always buy new. CD players have mechanical movements, and only german and british mechanical movements are meant to last a lifetime! (that is why you do not see british and german CD players!)

but you do see german and british loudspeaker manufacturers who have made their mark!

HI,

Psychotropic have replied to your PM about the Nad 542.

Yes i would prefer a 'working' 542 to a marantz 6002. As i mention many Nad have the dreaded 'NO DISC' message flashed when a cd is inserted and this happened every time i first powerered up the unit. After that it played flawlessly for the year i owned it. It was a very popular choice in the price a few years ago (about 25/28K) and loads of us owned them.Have had good results using this cdp with various amp/speaker combos so i would consider this cdp at about 13/15K used.
When inspecting the unit take a few CDRs along to see if all is OK.

DK

Last edited:
hey Suri, thanks for the advice, but isn't NAD orginally a British company? (although owned by a Canadian company now).

i beg to differ though, with a standalone CD player, always buy new. CD players have mechanical movements, and only german and british mechanical movements are meant to last a lifetime! (that is why you do not see british and german CD players!)

Last edited:
can any of them play wma lossless?

Edit : what's the point if it doesn't have usb port to play from hdd?

regards

regards

Playing anything from the USB kind of sucks, even with USB 2.0. Rewind/forward is nearly impossible for movies and even for MP3/WMA and other lossy formats it takes a while to display the contents. Not really an advantage to have this feature IMHO.

the C515 is actually positioned in the same category as the CD5001 (and the CA 340C), don't know about the pricing though.

Unfortunately i couldn't manage to do any auditions this weekend...weekends just fly by with all sorts of nonsense.....let me see if i can manage an audition on a wekeday :)

Can we compare 2 with similar price?-

1.Nad C515 bee
2.mar CD6002

Both are good & capable to play WMA/MP3

NAD Electronics :: C515BEE CD Player
NAD C515BEE - whathifi.com CD player review - from the experts at whathifi.com

Marantz Europe
Marantz CD6002 CD Player review CD player review - from the experts at whathifi.com

combo-http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/nad/c515bee_c315bee_f1_custom

regards

High End 09: Marantz CD6003 und PM6003 - Sempre Audio

German to English by Google Translate:

---------------
High End 09: Marantz CD6003 and PM6003

An excellent CD playback with excellent sound quality, dynamism and a clear sharp detail, this is the new 6003 series of devices by the Japanese manufacturer Marantz reward. The CD6003 and PM6003 Integrated Amplifier will therefore succeeds on the basis of their equipment and qualities highly successful 6002 series.

Marantz will be the first to present the two new components on the High End in Munich from 21 until May 24. Then also the general public by the manufacturer of the advertised features of the new devices to convince.
The 6003 series of Marantz, a system with very good price / performance ratio to be

One thing is already clear, however, should be submitted to the CD6003 and PM6003 of the promises of Marantz can redeem - and this is actually based on the predecessor to be - should both the CD player as well as the matching amplifier very interesting. With a recommended retail price of 449 each, - not the CD6003 as well as the PM6003 a very good price / performance ratio pride.

Because the equipment datasheet extremely loud sounds interesting. Both devices have a solid case and of course the long typical for Marantz, timelessly elegant, minimalist design.

Marantz CD6003

The CD6003 also has a housing with a double bottom and is a true heavyweight. This forms the basis for a smooth, resonance-free operation. A centrally established loading of the drive allows the playback of audio CDs and data CD-ROMs with MP3 and WMA files. For removable storage, a USB input to the same high quality converter based on the Cirrus Logic CS4398 and specific, developed by Marantz HDAM signal amplifiers-S2 as the CD drive uses. Here are the USB sticks or hard drives, but Apple's iPod to play music data storage solutions for mobile play.

Marantz_CD6003_Front.jpg

All information as well as CD-Text will be built on a manufacturer clearly readable, generously dimensioned display. Specially selected components, gold plated RCA connectors and one of the sound experts at Marantz reached higher resolution over the entire frequency range, and improved transparency and Tongenauigkeit, according to the manufacturer should be an excellent sound package.

Marantz PM6003

Above all, of course, in conjunction with the new PM6003, the immediate predecessor to his course has been revised. And here too did the manufacturer not only optical improvements. The aim of the developers was to make the amplifier more power rather than abzuringen but him anyway over the already very good predecessor, yet harmonious, more balanced sound image to elicit.

Inside the PM6003 is now a new toroidal transformer with low impedance and very specially refined main capacitors to find their high power reserves very quickly competence. Also new power transistors, which are now on a new aluminum heatsinks are housed should be able to handle higher currents and better control of difficult speakers, enabling the manufacturer in the product of the new PM6003.

Among the other features of the PM6003 include six inputs and a phono input, gold-plated connectors for both inputs and line level, the phono input as well as the speaker outputs, support for bi-wiring, and not least the new design of Marantz including volume control and input choice from aluminum. The latter are of course only details, but overall a much high-quality look and convey in this price class are by no means self-evident.

Both devices are supplied with each system remote control.

As already mentioned, Marantz is the two new components, the first time at the high end 09 present. In commerce, the Marantz CD6003 and PM6003 be available in July.
---------------

Cheers.

Last edited:
Okay, I am going to take the shootout to another thread. I am determined to make it happen, and perphaps a thread of its own (hopefully with vocal support from all of you), will ensure it happens.

I must say that after owning a marantz 6002 for over 6 months I am bored with it, as its sound lacks detail. Lot of information is lost. I tried using the analog out as well as the digital out to compare the two, input into my Lexicon MC4Preamp. Both sound a bit dull. Instead I use my OPPO 981 universal disc player digital out into my preamp for CDs and the result is much superior. Its better even if I use the analog output.

So I agree that under 20K Marantz is the best, and that tonally its nice sounding but I feel its pointless to buy a cheap CD player separate and a good quality DVD player will do the job better.

A lot depends on your amp and speakers and if they are totally costing under Rs 50,000 then by all means do go with the Marantz.

I must say that after owning a marantz 6002 for over 6 months I am bored with it, as its sound lacks detail. Lot of information is lost. I tried using the analog out as well as the digital out to compare the two, input into my Lexicon MC4Preamp. Both sound a bit dull. Instead I use my OPPO 981 universal disc player digital out into my preamp for CDs and the result is much superior. Its better even if I use the analog output.

So I agree that under 20K Marantz is the best, and that tonally its nice sounding but I feel its pointless to buy a cheap CD player separate and a good quality DVD player will do the job better.

A lot depends on your amp and speakers and if they are totally costing under Rs 50,000 then by all means do go with the Marantz.

hello chetan,
i have purchased the marantz cd 6002 recently and am using it with advance acoustic map 105 integrated amp and monitor audio br2 speakers. am quite happy with the sound. am not using expensive equipment like your lexicon etc.
also would like to know how much is the oppo 981 that you are using? must be more expensive compared to the marantz?

6002 is budget winner ,but is reported that is not very clear at upper freq.& not as detailed as highend.
But good amp ,spk & cable combo can sound wonderful.:clapping:

I managed to listen to both the CD5001 and the used C542, it was like a Bangladesh v. Australia match, there really is no contest. THe C542 is gloriously detailed and involving. the soundstage is superb and the the instruments are positioned precisely on the soundstage. I am not savvy enough to talk about micro and macro dynamics and how it handled transients and all that, but bloody hell it put out a glorious sound, by and large uncoloured with perhaps a touch of warmth.

I tested it with an audiophile reference HDCD, some Joe Satriani, some Tamil film music. Due to a series of unfortunate incidents, i couldnt' listen to my sheffield labs CD on it, which is my standard test disc. In spite of that it was amply clear that this was a lovely CD player. As per Dinyaar's instructions i tried out CD-Rs as well, and they played flawlessly.

The CD5001 was competent and sounded good, with perhaps a little too much warmth when i compared it to the DVD89. The detail and soundstaging were good as well, but I thought the C542 was distinctly superior, even on my piddling audioengine 2 speakers. Otherwise there was little to choose between the CD audio reproduction of the 5001 and the DVD89, except for the warmth (which i guess is a matter of perseonal preference). Therefore, unless you really prefer the marantz sound, the DVD89 for 10k (or less) with DVD playback and 1080i upscaling makes for much better value than the CD5001 for 10.5k (price offerred by Dev of Bass Treble, Coimbatore).

Just found some more observations about the Audioengine 2 as well, like more expensive speakers, it makes poor recordings sound abysmal, some of the muddily recorded van halen tracks sounded awful on it, while the well recorded Joe Satriani tracks sounded sublime. There was a particularly well recorded Tamil track from the movie Kadhalil Vizhunden (not sure of the name/spelling) which sounded excellent, with genuinely thumping bass (yes, i was surprised myself).

Even if I do upgrade my amp-speaker, I might consider the Audioengine 5, anyone interested in picking up my 2s?

Back