CA DVD99 v. Marantz CD5001 v. Marantz CD6002 v. CA 540C V2

The Nad C542 sounds great based on your description. I'm a fan of Audioengine especially the A5 and they perform great as speakers go and will do way better than many speakers that cost 2-3 times their cost or probably even more. However, for a CDP that sounds so good you're better off by investing in a pair of good FS (and a sub if required) rather than limiting to just the A5s (IMHO). Don't just hastily upgrade to the A5s. You can use the A2s for some more time and use the proposed 20K of the A5 too in going for a good pair of FS.

Just my 2 cents...

I managed to listen to both the CD5001 and the used C542, it was like a Bangladesh v. Australia match, there really is no contest. THe C542 is gloriously detailed and involving. the soundstage is superb and the the instruments are positioned precisely on the soundstage. I am not savvy enough to talk about micro and macro dynamics and how it handled transients and all that, but bloody hell it put out a glorious sound, by and large uncoloured with perhaps a touch of warmth.

I tested it with an audiophile reference HDCD, some Joe Satriani, some Tamil film music. Due to a series of unfortunate incidents, i couldnt' listen to my sheffield labs CD on it, which is my standard test disc. In spite of that it was amply clear that this was a lovely CD player. As per Dinyaar's instructions i tried out CD-Rs as well, and they played flawlessly.

The CD5001 was competent and sounded good, with perhaps a little too much warmth when i compared it to the DVD89. The detail and soundstaging were good as well, but I thought the C542 was distinctly superior, even on my piddling audioengine 2 speakers. Otherwise there was little to choose between the CD audio reproduction of the 5001 and the DVD89, except for the warmth (which i guess is a matter of perseonal preference). Therefore, unless you really prefer the marantz sound, the DVD89 for 10k (or less) with DVD playback and 1080i upscaling makes for much better value than the CD5001 for 10.5k (price offerred by Dev of Bass Treble, Coimbatore).

Just found some more observations about the Audioengine 2 as well, like more expensive speakers, it makes poor recordings sound abysmal, some of the muddily recorded van halen tracks sounded awful on it, while the well recorded Joe Satriani tracks sounded sublime. There was a particularly well recorded Tamil track from the movie Kadhalil Vizhunden (not sure of the name/spelling) which sounded excellent, with genuinely thumping bass (yes, i was surprised myself).

Even if I do upgrade my amp-speaker, I might consider the Audioengine 5, anyone interested in picking up my 2s?

Yeah, I definitely get your point, but a good pair of florstanders (with the detail that i want) would probably cost 30-35k a pair, and would need maybe a 20k amplifier to run it well. That makes the difference quite big. i was thinking if I could offload my A2s for about 8k and pick up the A5s for 19k, my net cost would 11k, which is conceivable, albeit a bit tough.

If I do this in the near future, then I can think maybe a year down the line or something to go for a good amp and speakers. I prefer standmounts, and I may go for a larger standmount instead of a floorstander.

The Nad C542 sounds great based on your description. I'm a fan of Audioengine especially the A5 and they perform great as speakers go and will do way better than many speakers that cost 2-3 times their cost or probably even more. However, for a CDP that sounds so good you're better off by investing in a pair of good FS (and a sub if required) rather than limiting to just the A5s (IMHO). Don't just hastily upgrade to the A5s. You can use the A2s for some more time and use the proposed 20K of the A5 too in going for a good pair of FS.

Just my 2 cents...

Yeah, I definitely get your point, but a good pair of florstanders (with the detail that i want) would probably cost 30-35k a pair, and would need maybe a 20k amplifier to run it well. That makes the difference quite big. i was thinking if I could offload my A2s for about 8k and pick up the A5s for 19k, my net cost would 11k, which is conceivable, albeit a bit tough.

If I do this in the near future, then I can think maybe a year down the line or something to go for a good amp and speakers. I prefer standmounts, and I may go for a larger standmount instead of a floorstander.

I found price of 545 around 29k in Mumbai.:indifferent14:

I managed to listen to both the CD5001 and the used C542, it was like a Bangladesh v. Australia match, there really is no contest. THe C542 is gloriously detailed and involving.

Well, both Bangladesh and Australia are now out of the T20 world cup. You have to use another analogy now: something like Ireland vs Australia with Ireland=C542 and Australia=CD5001.

I am very happy to note that you found the Nad C542 a really really good CDP for the price. If you remember my post in this thread, I can proudly say I told you so a long time back. As far as I can remember dinyaar also said similar stuff. And yes, it can play many formats.

Is it in nice condition? Why is the seller selling it? Ignore the grey colour, you will learn to live with it.

yes Asit, absolutely, and I am very grateful for your (and dinyaar's) advice on this. The reason for the sale is an upgrade. The player looks to be in good condition, no visible dings or scratches, the tray movement is flawless and smooth. power on is instantaneous, discs are read and loaded quickly, track skipping is perfect, including CD-Rs, remote seems to work perfectly (the buttons are spongy, but that seems to be an inherent quality of the remote). Anything else i need to check for?

The actual purchase is going to happen in July, when I get the opportunity to drive down to Bangalore. So I will be doing one more check before i put the money down.

Well, both Bangladesh and Australia are now out of the T20 world cup. You have to use another analogy now: something like Ireland vs Australia with Ireland=C542 and Australia=CD5001.

I am very happy to note that you found the Nad C542 a really really good CDP for the price. If you remember my post in this thread, I can proudly say I told you so a long time back. As far as I can remember dinyaar also said similar stuff. And yes, it can play many formats.

Is it in nice condition? Why is the seller selling it? Ignore the grey colour, you will learn to live with it.

hey, did you get to compare it to marantz 6002? Or maybe you can compare it with your memory from another demo of 6002?

regards

Hi again,
The 542 is better than the 6002 IMO. Nothing more to check really psychotropic. Play a few more cds before u take the dip. This battletank grey was actually the trademark Nad colour and the modern offerings are well the 'modern nad'. Once u purchase use MIN CREAM on the metal and gently buff, there will be an improvement in the appearance (if that matters). From what i recall the remote has a spongy feel but a good grip in ones palm.
Good luck on the purchase.
Rgds

Thanks a ton for your inputs Dinyaar, they've been invaluable. The grey look is not something that bothers me personally, but WAF issues might be there, but again this is going to be in my bedroom, so not too visible. (no no, there's no bed in the bedroom to get in the way of the sound, only a mattress.....still haven't gotten around to buying a bed).

Yes, the remote has a good grip in the palm, it's the perfect size. I will run a lot more CDs on the player and see before i put money down. Thanks again for the advice.

Hi again,
The 542 is better than the 6002 IMO. Nothing more to check really psychotropic. Play a few more cds before u take the dip. This battletank grey was actually the trademark Nad colour and the modern offerings are well the 'modern nad'. Once u purchase use MIN CREAM on the metal and gently buff, there will be an improvement in the appearance (if that matters). From what i recall the remote has a spongy feel but a good grip in ones palm.
Good luck on the purchase.
Rgds

@psychotropic,finally see ur goin down the cdp road!!the nad is a great cdp for the price quoted by u.also,u seem quite happy with the choice and thats what matters most ;).oh and finally havin been using the CA dv99 the past few days can tell you,plays everything u throw at it,dvds look great(have a crt so even tho texture and tone look far better than previously,cannot vouch for upscaling,etc) and its one damn fine cdp as well.mp3s play great,good detail but lack dynamics as compared to audio cd(obviously :indifferent14:),so find myself playing redbooks most of the time!!i went for this as i wanted a all-in-one dvdp and it gelled well with my budget and choice of amp.for dedicated cdp i plan to get the 640C,but thats much later.no contest with ur choice tho.go for it.cheers

hey rallynut, thanks man, i am yet to get my hands on it though, since it will have to wait for whenever i drive down to Bangalore next (probably early July). Will post more detailed feedback once that happens.

@psychotropic,finally see ur goin down the cdp road!!the nad is a great cdp for the price quoted by u.also,u seem quite happy with the choice and thats what matters most ;).oh and finally havin been using the CA dv99 the past few days can tell you,plays everything u throw at it,dvds look great(have a crt so even tho texture and tone look far better than previously,cannot vouch for upscaling,etc) and its one damn fine cdp as well.mp3s play great,good detail but lack dynamics as compared to audio cd(obviously :indifferent14:),so find myself playing redbooks most of the time!!i went for this as i wanted a all-in-one dvdp and it gelled well with my budget and choice of amp.for dedicated cdp i plan to get the 640C,but thats much later.no contest with ur choice tho.go for it.cheers

Hi friends,
I want a cdp for use with Nad c320bee and wharf 9.2, My bro is coming from dubai this month end. This is the price for some players
Marantz 5001 7k, 6002-14k.
Have also asked him to check out for nad 545.(approx 1500AED, ie 18k)
Your advise pl, is Marantz 6002 worth at 14k and will it jell with nad c320bee.
Or is it better to get 5001 at 7k and add a DAC later.

the marantz 6002 does pair quite nicely with NAD 325 bee ...i guess that would be the way to go....in fact forum member Gobble has or rather had almost the same combination (marantz 6002 cd player, nad 325 bee amps and wharfedale 9.2 speakers) he should be able to enlighten you more...

I would recommend getting 9.1 and a SW150 subwoofer rather than 9.2.
The 9.2 does not have the magic of the 9.1 which is also rightly famous in Internet reviews.

Regards

Too late gobble, already got 9.2,(and too early for an upgrade) has good bass, although lacking in detail. That's why i prefer to have a cd player which brings out the detail. Your take on Marantz 6002?

I too got the Wharf 9.2 paired with Norge. Started researching on CDP now so in the same boat. not quite sure when i get my hands on a dedicated CDP.

Ok now on 6002, the first page of this thread does say that 6002 is a good bet.

Last edited:
6002 is good. I plan to keep it for another 4 years until I find one with the *same* good qualities but superior sense timing and separation like CA640Cv2. Note that marantz beats CA in musicality and body and tone of music. CA is "drier" and thinner sounding but better in timing (edit: and separation ) with dual wolfson DACs.

You will not regret getting 6002 and at lesser price. 14.5K should be Dubai/HK price.

Regards

Last edited:
Planning to get marantz cd6003 @ 19-20k, but will it be overkill as it exceeds the cost of my speakers, wharf 9.2.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back