CA DVD99 v. Marantz CD5001 v. Marantz CD6002 v. CA 540C V2

@the op,the 6002 is definitely a better player if the choice is inclined towards the marantz and between the 5001/6002.for me the 5001 is prob the best bet as a source for a setup like the norge.i also do believe it doesnt really make sense goin over the top for a budget setup anyway cos the more resolving the component,the more it will reveal inadequecies of another link in the chain.then ur in the upgraditis mire,heh.first spk,then amp,thn..it never ends.my take,go for the 6002 if u can afford it.pm gobble on his take as he has the same setup(or had ;)).if no,the 5001 is a great player for the price.of course if u want a jack of all trades..the ca dv99.remember,enjoy ur music.cheers

Hi, I'm a newbie from Bangkok, Thailand. I have a question regarding the CD6002.

If you compare CD6002 with Onkyo's DX7355 which uses the same Sony optical lens DKSS213C for transport, but different DAC (CD6002 uses CS4398 and DX7355 uses WM8716), which one is better sounding if connected to Marantz int amp PM6002 or Onkyo's AVR TX-SR606 biamped to Wharfedale Diamond 9.3.

CD6002 is no longer available in Thailand through the authorized dealer (2nd hand hard to find though). But you can still get Onkyo's DX7355 at THB 9400 from Piyanas Electrics

Last edited:
Planning to get marantz cd6003 @ 19-20k, but will it be overkill as it exceeds the cost of my speakers, wharf 9.2.

No No. It is worth it. The Marantz CD6002 leaks EMI, that is the reason they added the heavy gauge metal bottom plate in CD6003. Their marketing dept is not admitting this fact thats all.
I found out when auditioning some preamps and moved the CDP<>Pre further apart to check hum levels. It wasn't the cause of hum, but it does color the sound negatively unless you space them more than a foot below.

Regards

I heard the 5003 and it is good. 5001 should be nice too.

Only a A/B test will reveal if the Marantz is better than the AVR, but my bet would be on the Marantz as it is a dedicated audio device.

9400THB would make 13K INR. Thats a good price. Do you have import duty and customs on electronics in Thailand?

Regards

Gobble, you mean emission due to elec mag interference? Not sure if i could ever detect any such leakage in my setup.
I am leaning more towards 6003 due to its possibly better design and being somewhat future proof, with its usb and it'll suit my laziness.can squeeze a few cds on a usb forgetting about changing cds for a while. Even if the lens fails, i can use the usb. At least that is what my understanding is. But not sure about the quality through usb though and if it can access the dac in case of lens failure.

No No. It is worth it. The Marantz CD6002 leaks EMI, that is the reason they added the heavy gauge metal bottom plate in CD6003. Their marketing dept is not admitting this fact thats all.
I found out when auditioning some preamps and moved the CDP<>Pre further apart to check hum levels. It wasn't the cause of hum, but it does color the sound negatively unless you space them more than a foot below.

Regards

Gobble, you mean emission due to elec mag interference? Not sure if i could ever detect any such leakage in my setup.
I am leaning more towards 6003 due to its possibly better design and being somewhat future proof, with its usb and it'll suit my laziness.can squeeze a few cds on a usb forgetting about changing cds for a while. Even if the lens fails, i can use the usb. At least that is what my understanding is. But not sure about the quality through usb though and if it can access the dac in case of lens failure.

Cataract surgery is cheap nowadays. Besides Len and USB should be independent. You will need a 8 or 16GB stick as it will only read WAV files (40MB per song typically ) or compressed MP3/WMA. Atleast the USB stick will help you decide which CD to burn and which to skip in the long run and you can cycle through lots of downloads and reduce CD clutter with wasted CDs (happening to me). :)

Regards

:lol:yes,cheaper than a CDP. and reducing CD clutter without compromising on quality will be great.

Cataract surgery is cheap nowadays. Besides Len and USB should be independent. You will need a 8 or 16GB stick as it will only read WAV files (40MB per song typically ) or compressed MP3/WMA. Atleast the USB stick will help you decide which CD to burn and which to skip in the long run and you can cycle through lots of downloads and reduce CD clutter with wasted CDs (happening to me). :)

Regards

I heard the 5003 and it is good. 5001 should be nice too.

Only a A/B test will reveal if the Marantz is better than the AVR, but my bet would be on the Marantz as it is a dedicated audio device.

9400THB would make 13K INR. Thats a good price. Do you have import duty and customs on electronics in Thailand?

Regards

Yes, we do have to pay import duty on electronics. I buy it from authorized dealers due to the warranty period.
Managed to find brandnew CD5001 at 6800 THB. It is impossible to find CD6002. It has been replaced by CD5003/6003. Will get it over the weekend.

6002 has a better implemented PSU with better topological layout than 5001. At a later date when used as a transport will be superior with a dac than the 5001. Eq: more money --> better stuff & sound! :licklips:

Additional info: CD6002 uses CS4398 DAC and KSS213C transport, whereas CD5001 uses CS4392 (same circuitry of CS4396) as DAC and KSS213C as transport. Yes, CD6002 has better PSU than CD5001

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back