cable facts

Just go by your direct experience. You may sell your cables while they are still new and recover most of the bad investment.

Leave that discovery for another day with another set of equipment :eek:hyeah:

Regards

sorry found the reply to my query
with a bit of reserach ( lazy me)
sorry

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

For a thread that was predicted 'not to go any distance', i am happy it has got this many posts.:)

After upgrading my Onkyo to DAC 14 AWG there is a vast improvement in the sound quality, that brings a smile to my and my son's faces. Spending 10% of the system's cost for cable is definitely worth it.

cheers,
sri

for a sensation which is as subjective as hearing, and which is prone to decay past the age of 18, NO WONDER THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS!

I was actually thinking negatively at that point in time - as my FIL came over and I played music for him. I was concentrating on what faults he might hear. Played the song again.

Hello anm,

All electronics need time to warm up when played. Even if they have been sitting powered on with no signal. How long depends on how long they have been without power or without signal. This is true for solid state but more so (and more obvious) with tube equipment.

Cables also need time for break in. All equipment (from CD player to cable to speakers) need time to break in when new and time to warm up when "cold".

This need / result becomes much more obvious as the quality of the equipment increases (note that I did not say price as price not always equal better quality).

Let your own ears be the guide as it sounds like you are being mindful to objectively hear whats coming out of your system and while working to discount extraneous factors like where even the lighting in the room can affect your preception.

for a sensation which is as subjective as hearing, and which is prone to decay past the age of 18, NO WONDER THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS!

Hearing does not need to be subjective and can become objective if you have a standard to go by and a language to convey your preceptions.

One particular high end magazine caters that the standard is an acoustical instrument playing unamplified in an open space and they have worked to put a language in place that allows one to objectively describe what they are hearing. Once you have heared instruments this way you can now use this language to objectively compare what you hear coming from stereo or surround sound. If music and the sound of music is important to you then this become a natural thing to do. Granted that this is not perfect and it takes a bit of training of oneself and ones ears to elimiate bias and external factors (like a change in lighting of the room changing preception) but it is entirely possible and not that hard (though it needs continued dillegence).

Keep in mind that to the common person doing summersaults in gymnastics or doing a layup in basketball would be impossible if they didn't see people doing it. How quickly people tend to sell their ears short and think they can't hear differences or that there can't possibly be a difference amazes to me.

Also, let me add in that the decay in hearing and its effect when it comes to hearing normal voice or instruments is very over rated. Hearing declines at the high extremes of what is felt to be upper range of hearing (20khz but in fact varies quite a bit with asmatics, as one example of a particular population, being shown to easily hear to 30k). Most instruments top out in the 10khz range.

Last edited:
Hearing does not need to be subjective and can become objective if you have a standard to go by and a language to convey your preceptions.

One particular high end magazine caters that the standard is an acoustical instrument playing unamplified in an open space and they have worked to put a language in place that allows one to objectively describe what they are hearing. Once you have heared instruments this way you can now use this language to objectively compare what you hear coming from stereo or surround sound. If music and the sound of music is important to you then this become a natural thing to do. Granted that this is not perfect and it takes a bit of training of oneself and ones ears to elimiate bias and external factors (like a change in lighting of the room changing preception) but it is entirely possible and not that hard (though it needs continued dillegence).

Keep in mind that to the common person doing summersaults in gymnastics or doing a layup in basketball would be impossible if they didn't see people doing it. How quickly people tend to sell their ears short and think they can't hear differences or that there can't possibly be a difference amazes to me.

Also, let me add in that the decay in hearing and its effect when it comes to hearing normal voice or instruments is very over rated. Hearing declines at the high extremes of what is felt to be upper range of hearing (20khz but in fact varies quite a bit with asmatics, as one example of a particular population, being shown to easily hear to 30k). Most instruments top out in the 10khz range.

what you say is quite true!

like you say, sometimes one needs to be shown what is possible.

I suppose having an open mind and listening to people on this forum will help.

thank you!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back