Cable Sound Signature:

Sumit

Hi!!

I am currently using Supra silver plated speaker cables and Supra Silver plated IC's with Neutrik connectors.

The sound that I am getting is on the BRIGHTER side. I have been told that silver plated cables are brighter compared to OFC.

I am looking to upgrade cables and IC's. I am interested to know which cables shall be suitable for my needs- to reduce brightness.

I need around 15mtrs of speaker cable and 2 analog IC's with connectors/.

Cheers!!

Your cheapest option could be the belden, but i'm not sure how it'll sound with your speakers.
You can also try the VDH & Transparent.
The transparent afaik starts at Rs 300/- a meter.
For VDH pl check with dinyaar.

Cheers

Neo, the whole idea about the upgrade is to find a cable that will reduce the brightness of my system. I can see that we can use Belden as an option. But, I need to know its sonic signature.

Cheers!

A cable which contains silver in its construction is required in a laid back system to bring out the detailing in the music played on it, but in a system which is a little on a bright side this could cause conserns and would cause ear fatigue. Silver application in the cables are very good for the video/Display part but in terms of sound the tonality of the system has be taken care of before deciding on it.
In your case too if you switch between an OFC and a Silver cable the difference would be higly noticable.

Neo, the whole idea about the upgrade is to find a cable that will reduce the brightness of my system. I can see that we can use Belden as an option. But, I need to know its sonic signature.

Cheers!

Sorry to interrupt, I am afraid you are going in the wrong track. Never choose a cable for sonic colorations, always select one that will not add or subtract anything in the signal path. Some cables I know adding colorations are Cardas, MIT, Transparent etc and those who do not include Audioquest, Wireworld, Kimber, XLO etc. Even budget cables from the latter will be good and reveal your system as it is.
If you are serious about improving your system, spend money more on better components and don't invest in cables now and regret later.
Just an advice, take it or leave it.

Happy listening.
murali

Murali!
I understand that one should buy cables which have minimum coloration for obvious reasons. But, I believe one can alter sonic signature to ones taste with the 'right' cables. This is what I am looking for. Sound is personal. I want more laid back sound, thats it. And, at present I believe I can get this with much less money if I spend on cables rather that changing all the equipment.

Now, If you have any idea w.r.t. to cables which can reduce brightness then please let me know.

Cheers!!

Sorry to interrupt, I am afraid you are going in the wrong track. Never choose a cable for sonic colorations, always select one that will not add or subtract anything in the signal path. Some cables I know adding colorations are Cardas, MIT, Transparent etc and those who do not include Audioquest, Wireworld, Kimber, XLO etc. Even budget cables from the latter will be good and reveal your system as it is.
If you are serious about improving your system, spend money more on better components and don't invest in cables now and regret later.
Just an advice, take it or leave it.

Happy listening.
murali

Hi!!

I am currently using Supra silver plated speaker cables and Supra Silver plated IC's with Neutrik connectors.

The sound that I am getting is on the BRIGHTER side. I have been told that silver plated cables are brighter compared to OFC.

I am looking to upgrade cables and IC's. I am interested to know which cables shall be suitable for my needs- to reduce brightness.

I need around 15mtrs of speaker cable and 2 analog IC's with connectors/.

Cheers!!

Hi Sumit,
Some supra are silver coated and some are tin coated. Dont know what u have. Regarding the bright sound that u are enduring u could use a Vandenhul combo as it rolls of the top end. Mids are great and bass is decent. Build/ materials are top class.
Dont know your set up or your budget but will suggest a few options regardless.
1)The Name IC with Clear water speaker cable.
2) D102 MK III with the CS122 speaker cable. Both are copper/silver/carbon in Hulliflex.
3)The Second IC (balanced/All carbon) with either the BREEZE or the REVOLUTION speaker cables.

The first is relatively cheap and the last one is pretty steep.

If possible get from sgpore as it will be 60% of the price the local distributor sells at which is a huge saving.

In theory I agree with Murali on the fact that a cable should do nothing just transfer the signal but I understand your problem and the VDH should do the trick.
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Dinyaar!!

I was expecting your post sooner or later. Thanks.

Can you give me tentative pricing for D102 and CS122 in India?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers!

Hi Sumit,
Some supra are silver coated and some are tin coated. Dont know what u have. Regarding the bright sound that u are enduring u could use a Vandenhul combo as it rolls of the top end. Mids are great and bass is decent. Build/ materials are top class.
Dont know your set up or your budget but will suggest a few options regardless.
1)The Name IC with Clear water speaker cable.
2) D102 MK III with the CS122 speaker cable. Both are copper/silver/carbon in Hulliflex.
3)The Second IC (balanced/All carbon) with either the BREEZE or the REVOLUTION speaker cables.

The first is relatively cheap and the last one is pretty steep.

If possible get from sgpore as it will be 60% of the price the local distributor sells at which is a huge saving.

In theory I agree with Murali on the fact that a cable should do nothing just transfer the signal but I understand your problem and the VDH should do the trick.
Rgds

Yes bad power can cause harshness. The Stab is only to keep voltage constant not clean up power.
The CS 122 is about 950/meter and the D102 about 2200/ meter.
I had all these cables at some time or the other but not so now.
I doubt a transparent will do what u require nor will a kimber IMO
Rgds

Hi Sumit and Dinyaar
@ Sumit , sorry to hijack your thread
Just wanted to know how one can determine if we get clean enough power? Dinyaar, generally all say Reliance provides clean power but how do i make sure?
Also Dinyaar, will the Mugami speaker cables help Sumit? I know i am no expert but had read in one of the threads that they are quiet smooth sounding and come at a reasonable price

Hi Sumit and Dinyaar
@ Sumit , sorry to hijack your thread
Just wanted to know how one can determine if we get clean enough power? Dinyaar, generally all say Reliance provides clean power but how do i make sure?
Also Dinyaar, will the Mugami speaker cables help Sumit? I know i am no expert but had read in one of the threads that they are quiet smooth sounding and come at a reasonable price

Where do we get Mugami in India?

TIA
Regards

finolex 2.5 mm squared, and, as an upgrade, finolex 6.0 mm squared are very transparent, revealing and airy when used as twisted pair speaker cable - the woman in the house will plait it expertly

finolex 2.5 mm squared, and, as an upgrade, finolex 6.0 mm squared are very transparent, revealing and airy when used as twisted pair speaker cable - the woman in the house will plait it expertly

Finolex!! I thought all they make was electrical cables. never tht they were in audio.

Hi Sumit,

I fully agree with the suggestion of the VDH D102 for the IC. Courtesy Dinyaar's generosity, I now own one that connects my Nakamichi RX-505 deck to the Leben amp and I simply love it compared to other cables I have used. It's certainly very musical, at the same time very detailed, and not bright at all. In fact I tend to think it's quite balanced across the freq range.

I can also recommend to you the other IC that is currently in my system connecting my 740c CDP to the amp, and this one is the Audio Art IC-3. For the price, it's a giant killer. Just google for reviews of the AA IC-3 and you would know. It is available in the US for around USD 100 and is available at ARN systems at a reasonable price. The only downside with this cable is that it needs at least 150 hours of burn in time. Before it is fully burnt in, it goes through dramatic phases (partially described towards the end of my amp thread). But believe me, it is worth it. It's a wonderfully balanced, detailed and musical IC without any tinge of brightness. My own take based my use within my set-up is that this cable has better bass than the VDH D102.

I have used VDH Clearwater speaker cable in the recent past (2x3m cables are just lying with me along with a bunch of many other cables, but do not want to part with it yet). It's a very decent cable at Rs 600/m, but one can perhaps do a bit better.

I was about to get the VDH CS 122 speaker cables when I heard of very good reports on a TDK PCOCC speaker cable (made by Hitachi) that again ARN sells. It's obviously pure copper and single crystals of pure copper in a PCOCC can be a few hundred feet long. This one is an excellent cable. I have described this in detail in my amp thread (just before I procured the new amp). After getting this cable, I realized that I have all along under-cabled my previous system which was capable of producing far better results with better cabling.

Not sure at all about the budget you are looking at. Sorry if my suggestions above are a bit off, pricewise. I was always reluctant to spend much on cables, but have slowly found that good cables are not very cheap (do not understand the reasons though) and the ones I have written about are very very decent ones for the price.

Please pay attention also to what myriad and dinyaar said about the power.

Regards.

Dealer for Mogami in india

HEAD OFFICE

PACE COMMUNICATIONS (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
17-II-B, Ghanshyam Industrial Estate,
Veera Desai Road,
Andheri (W.),
Mumbai - 400 053.
Tel : (+91-22) 66941914/15/16, 66921353.
Fax : (+91-22) 66941917.

DELHI OFFICE

A-55, 2nd Floor,
Lajpat Nagar-I,
New Delhi - 110 024.
Telefax : (+91-11) 41727629 / 09313032754 / 09811292706.
E-mail : [email protected]

CHENNAI OFFICE

No. 15, First Floor, Krishna Nagar,
Kamaraj Salai, Virugambakkam
Chennai - 600 092.
Tel : 09382312588.

KOLKATA OFFICE

Kolkata (Resident Executive),
Tel : 09339871674.

do audition the chord interconnects and speaker cables , if possible with your system, it really smoothens out everything

am using the chord chameleon ics with odyssey 4 speaker cables
sourced this from uk (as pricing is almost half of indian rates) but only after auditioning it with my system

which is the cdp you are using?
if u are using the dvdp for cd playback, i dont think changing ics and spkr cables wud help much

Subhash: I am not using a CDp. I am using a beresford DAC with DVDp. Also, I have loads of digital music on my HDD connected to the WDtv.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back