cable upgrade

Hi Dr
Wait a bit for the VDH. U may be lucky!!!
Go buy that used 4TC and be happy.
Will inform u if any other used cables are floating around with anyone I know. There is an XLO ultra 6 with a guy from New Delhi but that is one lively cable that may sound forward in your set up.
Rgds

BTW My family is originally from MHOW very close to where u are at. Years ago we did Mhow / indore very often on our trusted Royal Enfields!

Last edited:
okay, where n for how much wud virens ic be claimed for??
@malvai- project tt has its own ic termination so it d go directly into the phono sockets in my system. i may use the ic for onkyo tape that ajay has sold me.
whats the correct way to ground the denons phono input grnd terminal plz?? i currently connect the wire to a nearby metal rack in which i keep lps.
as such my house has proper grounding that cost me 5-6k upwards and as such never faced any issue in past 5 yrs i ve been here.

Send him a pm entsurgeon. His stuff is pretty affordable enough to experiment with.

Regards

I would second Dinyars suggestion..4TC does a min of "ok" in most setups.
Virens IC seems to do very well in some setups and not so great in others. Although he allows (I think) a home trial, ulnless you are able to do a A/B in your setup youy may not be able to take tbe "best" decision.

Listening to Steely Dan through Arcam CDP/Cyrus 6 VS2/Vienna Acoustics/Transparent Audio Musiclink Plus IC. with Chord Silver Screen cables.Don't care where these Chords are made or about their 'economy' price tag.These cables punch well above their modest price tag.In the above set up they are pretty much flawless. Smooth,Detailed,Musical,Great for loooong listening sessions.At less than half the price of the Kimber 4TC they would be great VFM.Chord Silverscreen(new)+Chord Crimson Interconnect(new) would be the same price as the Kimber 4 TC (used) and together the Chord's would probably give much better results than the Kimber 4 TC matched with your present IC'S.
*The Chords have a 'mellow tone' which I have not experienced with any other cable,not even with the pricey Transparent Audio's.And I just LOVE that tone!Since your preference seems to lean more towards vinyl and tape and less towards cd I think you would like the 'mellow tone'.The Chords make my CD's sound like high resolution cassette's.And I mean that as a compliment!They remove a shiny,screechy layer from the cd sound and the final result is like meeting an old friend or drinking a vintage Bordeaux.May just be in my set up or my room or with my ears but thats the way I feel about the Chords.

Last edited:
Virens IC seems to do very well in some setups and not so great in others.

If that is the case, I'm plain lucky I guess. Not only during our comparison in the Marnatz-Primare-Audere IO2s it stood out, but also in my regular setup of Marantz-Class d Audio-DIY Towers, it has replaced the Monster Audio ICs which, it has beaten by miles.

Would love to play off Transparent Audio Musiclink/Kimber 8 TC/Chord Odyssey speaker cables with matching IC'S from the same brand.I would give the Chord's even or possibly better than even odds against the other two.
Has anybody on the forum 'heard' the Chord's 'mellow tone' or is it just my 'audio illusion'?Ha!Ha!

Last edited:
If that is the case, I'm plain lucky I guess. Not only during our comparison in the Marnatz-Primare-Audere IO2s it stood out, but also in my regular setup of Marantz-Class d Audio-DIY Towers, it has replaced the Monster Audio ICs which, it has beaten by miles.
Capt good for you ..the monster is the worst of the Lot :D a basic Belden DIY would trash it out of the park !
someone had done an A/B of Virens on my system..forget who it was a way back when i still had the Sugden but the transparent music link+ (which i used then and which costs 4 times more as well) was able to resolve greater detail without doubt.

Anyway those were days i did not believe in changing cables (And I still hold a moderate view here) but just wanted to get the most detailed cable and play around with my setup/positioning/treatment to get the sound right.
since it is unfair to compare the two due to the price difference i do not want to say which is better since Virens products are all definitely VFM and made with sound engineering. and i believe has a very good synergy with his systems as well as he knows what he is designing for..

Last edited:
Capt good for you ..the monster is the worst of the Lot :D a basic Belden DIY would trash it out of the park !
someone had done an A/B of Virens on my system..forget who it was a way back when i still had the Sugden but the transparent music link+ (which i used then and which costs 4 times more as well) was able to resolve greater detail without doubt.

Anyway those were days i did not believe in changing cables (And I still hold a moderate view here) but just wanted to get the most detailed cable and play around with my setup/positioning/treatment to get the sound right.
since it is unfair to compare the two due to the price difference i do not want to say which is better since Virens products are all definitely VFM and made with sound engineering. and i believe has a very good synergy with his systems as well as he knows what he is designing for..

That was me arj when I had come over once. Somewhere before on the forum I had quoted the experience without mentioning you. In your system your cables did much better. All these things very system specific very hard to have absolute opinions. Actually impossible. :)

Listening to Steely Dan through Arcam CDP/Cyrus 6 VS2/Vienna Acoustics/Transparent Audio Musiclink Plus IC. with Chord Silver Screen cables.Don't care where these Chords are made or about their 'economy' price tag.These cables punch well above their modest price tag.In the above set up they are pretty much flawless. Smooth,Detailed,Musical,Great for loooong listening sessions.At less than half the price of the Kimber 4TC they would be great VFM.Chord Silverscreen(new)+Chord Crimson Interconnect(new) would be the same price as the Kimber 4 TC (used) and together the Chord's would probably give much better results than the Kimber 4 TC matched with your present IC'S.
*The Chords have a 'mellow tone' which I have not experienced with any other cable,not even with the pricey Transparent Audio's.And I just LOVE that tone!Since your preference seems to lean more towards vinyl and tape and less towards cd I think you would like the 'mellow tone'.The Chords make my CD's sound like high resolution cassette's.And I mean that as a compliment!They remove a shiny,screechy layer from the cd sound and the final result is like meeting an old friend or drinking a vintage Bordeaux.May just be in my set up or my room or with my ears but thats the way I feel about the Chords.

Now you tempt me to shell out money form my wallet. How much are the chord silverscreen you say? :licklips: You guys work better than the marketeer and Ads on me :eek:hyeah: Decision taken!! :clapping:

Yeah in my setup, Viren's ICs which he lent to me sounded decent but not in a manner that temepted me to shell out cash.
Again it was a hopelessly budget setup (Nad325) that I auditioned it on, so this does not say anything about Viren's IC in isolation.

Capt good for you ..the monster is the worst of the Lot a basic Belden DIY would trash it out of the park !

I used a Belden 8473 for a month, that I purchased on a whim while shopping for my premap cables. The DAC speaker cable sounds better than it for sure (more assured kinda sound although slightly less 3d). So again the system matters ...

cheers

On that note, I agree with using cables and ICs for tone control.

My system is actually too "soft" sounding, lacking the rough edges and bite in the music that adds realism. However I intend to introduce the rough edges using the power amp and leave the job of mellowness to the cables. i.e I dont want an active piece of gear to influence and colour the sound too much, and think its wiser to let a passive component like the cable do the job.

If Siva's Gainclone doesn't improve on the overdone smoothness of the NAD, I will try something else down the line.

Cheers

Last edited:
That was me arj when I had come over once. Somewhere before on the forum I had quoted the experience without mentioning you. In your system your cables did much better. All these things very system specific very hard to have absolute opinions. Actually impossible. :)

:eek: i must confess I remembered but thought to take the anonymous way out...but since you decided to come out of the Closet anyway ....:lol:

Now you tempt me to shell out money form my wallet. How much are the chord silverscreen you say? :licklips: You guys work better than the marketeer and Ads on me :eek:hyeah: Decision taken!! :clapping:
Let me continue with the marketing bit where ajay124 left....You can borrow my Chord Carnival Silverscreen cables and then decide:). There was an overall improvement - the bass is much tighter now, vocals sound more fuller and no change in highs. I was using "Jamo" 2.5 sqmm Silver coated copper OFC cables before this.

Let me continue with the marketing bit where ajay124 left....You can borrow my Chord Carnival Silverscreen cables and then decide:). There was an overall improvement - the bass is much tighter now, vocals sound more fuller and no change in highs. I was using "Jamo" 2.5 sqmm Silver coated copper OFC cables before this.

:lol: I just made the same offer to gobble in another thread! Looks like gobble will be lighter.. :p

Anyone in Bangalore has a pair of Kimber 4TC's or Mogami 3103's which can be tried out? Im sure all three of us are looking for better cables.

You got them? hmmm nice! What will you do without your cables? It will be better the next time you drop by, we test them out for a couple of hours - that way you wont have to suffer without the cables.

Else I can drop by and pick them up when I come over to listen to your emotiva preamp. But i really don't want to deny you your own cables for their listening pleasure :lol:

Cheers

You got them? hmmm nice! What will you do without your cables? It will be better the next time you drop by, we test them out for a couple of hours - that way you wont have to suffer without the cables.

Else I can drop by and pick them up when I come over to listen to your emotiva preamp. But i really don't want to deny you your own cables for their listening pleasure :lol:

Cheers
I will be in the whereabouts of your house this Saturday afternoonish, will drop by with the cables if you are free. I need to listen to your new tubes as well. Will call you later today to discuss.

sad i live in different city. do u have them as spare so u can courier me the same for trial??:yahoo:
any indore a'phile here??
so far i ve deduced this much- a gr8 cable dewfinitely changes things... for better or for worse depends on the hardware plus ur tastes. if possible i should give a trial session.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back