Cadence vs Lyrita vs Rethm

Hi Hifiashok,

He was off for about a couple of weeks or something like that and then he was going to Viren's to hear the offerings there and then post on his findings here.

regards

Just a quick point-I stand by my earlier statement, that each person has to find his ( or her) optimal solution. I just connected up my Aria R speaker in place of my Fostex MLTL, and I find that the Raven tweeters in this system( the mids are Focal Kevlars in an MTM config) are simply outstanding-though so far it's been only female vocals.

For those who may not have heard about Ravens, they are exceptionally high quality ( and expensive) ribbon transducers, made in France, using special NeFeB magnets that are five times more powerful than conventional magnets. I do expect exceptional performance from the R1 ribbon tweeters, which is why I built them in the first place, and they deliver in spades!

As a matter of interest, before I built this system, I got a someone to send me a 7 page review of this , from Speaker Builder magazine. The designer is Joe D'Apollito, and the review was done using MLSSA and CLIO.

One point that the reviewer makes referring to one feature of this system, which resonates with me, is that the world is full of compromises and there is no free lunch! At the end of the day, try and audition all the systems carefully and decide which one works best for you.

For those who may not have heard about Ravens, they are exceptionally high quality ( and expensive) ribbon transducers, made in France, using special NeFeB magnets that are five times more powerful than conventional magnets. I do expect exceptional performance from the R1 ribbon tweeters, which is why I built them in the first place, and they deliver in spades!
:clapping:

Interesting....
I used to have a speaker - many moons back which used a Raven with a Flex Units - Audio Technology - woofer.

Later I changed to an Alain Bernard - BEE Engineering - based Ribbon Tweeter
mated with a ATD woofer - Vapour deposited titanium [ex-Magico fame].....

Those were interesting days....

Wow..Alain Bernard is a real guru. I've seen pictures of some his systems using machined aluminium enclosures.

I still have my speaker - packed & stored in the warehouse.
Mine is a 'transmission' line - 2 way speaker - as I mentioned in my earlier post.
If you want to see some pics - send me a pm with your e-mail & I will send some pics to you...
:)

Impressive!
So the ribbon tweeter just sits loose on top?
The gear in the background looks pretty heavyweight stuff as well..

Red = Thank You

Green = Yes [that is for time alignment] besides the tweeter weighs 8 kgs & has a very very wide dispersal angle & needs to be 'substantially' toed in.

Blue = Thanks again;
However all is gone. The gear has all changed & the room too has changed.
Front End / Amplification / Speakers / Cables / Rack etc. all has changed...My better half threw all the gear out of my bedroom :sad:

However all is gone. The gear has all changed & the room too has changed.
Front End / Amplification / Speakers / Cables / Rack etc. all has changed...My better half threw all the gear out of my bedroom :sad:

where's the dustbin (without even seeing the pic in question)!?! ;)

My better half threw all the gear out of my bedroom :sad:
Better halfs become bitter halfs right after the honeymoon.:eek:hyeah: Honey vanishes only moon remains. After child(ren), moon metamorphoses into 'oon' (food in Malayalam) I mean she is there to cook food (i.e if u are lucky):mad:

Wot say Suri:lol:

where's the dustbin (without even seeing the pic in question)!?! ;)

Most of it is packed & in the warehouse.
It is for sale.
Send me a pm with your e-mail & I will send a list with pics.
If you like any thing a demo can surely be arranged....
My prices are 'better' than audiogon [for sure]
However, some of my stuff may be very off tangent - so may not have too many takers.....
All the stuff I have is my own & used by me. I only sell gear that belongs to me & has been used by me....It is very well cared for & all 'original' packing is in place.:rolleyes:

heinlein, I invite you to my house to listen to the Lyrita SET845 and Multi driver speakers (Vintage B&W DM4 and Vintage KEF 104Ab)

--
helium

@Viren

Thank you and yes, I am planning to come over. I have to travel for the next two weeks but as soon as I am back, I shall take an appointment with you. Incidentally, we had spoken briefly late last week.

@Others

This is another aspect of the purchase that is important to me. Just for everybody's information, I had written late last week to Lyrita as well as Cadence. My comparative experience:

Viren wrote back in about 10 minutes and gave me his phone number. Cadence never got back. So I wrote them again after 2 days. Still no response. To me, this is a big turn-off. If a company can't be bothered to respond to me before the purchase, what chance have I got after the purchase?

Anyway I called Viren immediately and we got chatting and I mentioned about my interest in Cadence. He said if you are going for the Cadence speaker, it would be better to buy their amp also because they have designed it to work best with their speaker. From my experience, I can name 20 guys in 10 industries who would have still pushed their own product even if it is not in the customer's interest.

During our conversation, Viren never once even indirectly implied that his equipment is God's gift to humanity. He just said that you should come over and listen, then you will know if this is what suits your ears.

I also read his post here from the time he launched the Amity and the more powerful amp. I really like the idea of a guy who frequents these forums and designs a system in response to demand from rock music lovers, even if the design philosophy doesn't fit perfectly into his own world-view.

Finally, I did a bit of due diligence online and I can't find a single person who has anything unpleasant to say about him. That's really something. I mean, even Gandhi had his critics!

In short, Viren is the kind of guy that makes me want to deal with him. I am going to try his systems first and unless his sound just doesn't work for me, I have a strong preference to go with him. I shall keep you all posted.

P.S. Not to sound like I am his agent or anything :), but I think such people deserve an honorable mention every now and then, just so they know they are appreciated.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back