can book shelves be used as surround speakers?

Bookshelf speakers can be used for surrounds, most brands say that you can use bookshelf speakers as surround speakers too. Polk says that you can use the TSi200 as surround speakers, so there should be no problem :)

Bookshelf speakers can be used for surrounds, most brands say that you can use bookshelf speakers as surround speakers too. Polk says that you can use the TSi200 as surround speakers, so there should be no problem :)

nishanth- even i read that bookshelves can be used as surrounds, but what i would like to know is, is it better to have book shelves or dedicated surround speakers for surrounds?please give your suggestion.

There is no such thing as a special surround speaker. There could be bipole or di-pole speakers used as surrounds, but that's not needed. Just go with a bookshelf speaker and you will do fine. Another advantage with a normal bookshelf speaker is it will mostly timbre match with fronts compared to bipole/dipole speaker and will give you seamless surround field.

If you are particular, just make sure that speaker does 80 Hz or 100 Hz fine. Once you set crossover at those frequencies, you will have a great setup.

what i would like to know is, is it better to have book shelves or dedicated surround speakers for surrounds?.

Boils down to preference

A dipole speaker will give you a diffused sound so will give you a ambient effect and the sound emitting from them will not be localized

With direct radiating bookshelves will give you a non diffused sound due to the design. the advantage would be better response through the freq band i.e is however dependent on the BS used.

However if the speakers are close to your listening position sound emitting from them would be localized easily and be a distraction

So if your speakers are placed well away from your listening position bookshelves would do the job pretty well. However if the surrounds are pretty close to your listening position Dipole speakers due to the spatial effect and diffused sound would be a better bet.

nishanth- even i read that bookshelves can be used as surrounds, but what i would like to know is, is it better to have book shelves or dedicated surround speakers for surrounds?please give your suggestion.

You cannot say one is better than the other for surrounds, so you can go in for any type of speaker that suits your need for the surrounds.

flash, nishanth- thank you so much for your valuable advices and suggestions.going for the polk audio tsi 200's , because, had a talk with the polk guys they recommend tsi 200's for surrounds, if i have i have a tsi 500's for the front speakers or same kinda speakers in size ,watts and ohms.mines a wharfedale saphire 89, which is same as a tsi 500 when it comes to the specs.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back