Can DACs be carried in hand bag?

Smadhu

Hi All,

I am planning to get a DAC though a friend, from Europe, and it is small enough to be put in the cabin bag.

I wanted to get a confirmation if anyone has carried DAC in the hand bag or faced any issued at the security screening, if so, how was it resolved. Came across dated threads discussing about the amplifiers being hand carried and I presumed the smaller DACs should not be an issue.

I did check with Airport Contact ( with the link of the product) and they indeed confirmed electronic devices can be carried.

I am taking adequate precautions to avoid any unforeseen issues during the security screening.

Looking for your inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Madhu

Hi All,

I am planning to get a DAC though a friend, from Europe, and it is small enough to be put in the cabin bag.

I wanted to get a confirmation if anyone has carried DAC in the hand bag or faced any issued at the security screening, if so, how was it resolved. Came across dated threads discussing about the amplifiers being hand carried and I presumed the smaller DACs should not be an issue.

I did check with Airport Contact ( with the link of the product) and they indeed confirmed electronic devices can be carried.

I am taking adequate precautions to avoid any unforeseen issues during the security screening.

Looking for your inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Madhu
Never carry funny looking electronic items in cabin baggage. They will never get past the security screening, and will always end up in the bin :D

Just put them in the check-in baggage and you can get through safely. All the best :)

Thanks Manohar. Makes sense.

Hopefully it will be one piece and also get lucky at customs.
You are welcome smadhu :)

They will definitely come in one peice and happily past the customs. I've got along tons of gear past the customs :)

The secret is to discard the original packing when carrying. And the second cannot be shared in a public forum :D

Last edited:
Recently someone brought a Esoteric G02x clock from Europe to India in a hand bag. It was obviously brought without the original box.
It was "owned" by the same individual and so it was shown to customs officials.

And some amount was paid as custom duty. :)
I do not know any more detail except that that person travels a lot.:)

Thanks all for the inputs. There could be change of plans but this will definitely help noobs like me!

Hi All,

Looking for your inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Madhu
you can carry without orginal packing

I carried a high end graphics card in cabin luggage, didnt face any issue from London to Delhi.
(london airport, they did some test by taking a swab from the board)

Thanks all for the inputs. There could be change of plans but this will definitely help noobs like me!
OP @Smadhu, please update!
My two bits:
Roll everything you don't want airport authorities to find in many layers of thick cloth (no other material) and stuff it deep into check-in baggage.
Depending on what it is, they are really terribly busy to pull you out at both check in or check out.

Claiming "Owned", and packing "without the box" are the way to go.

And I envy your skills @greenhorn
You seem to be one of those people who can manage 12 bottles on a Goa-Bombay flight :D
Please ping me if you ever go to Dubai :D

Better pay the duty if they ask for, it would be nominal compared to direct import, bring with original box and bill.

Thank you everyone for the inputs. Keep them coming if there are any which are missed out. These would definitely help folks.
OP @Smadhu, please update!
Well the DAC plan was put on hold, as the friend was skeptical carrying it, especially if it gets chucked at airport screening.

However, just to test waters, I was able to get PI2AES, which in a fully assembled avatar in the cabin bag with no issues.

My takeaway was like @sebi mentioned bringing down the items in fully packed, even with custom charges will be beneficial as opposed to having to import, if such an opportunity arises. Also longer the period of stay, the 'personal effect' claim is easier to substantiate.

Further items costing less than INR 50,000 should not really be an issue from customs standpoint.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back