Can DACs be carried in hand bag?

Laws are pretty open to interpretation in this part of the world, so no one exactly knows the outcome...
Well as long as one has adequate supporting for the justification, I really don't see it as a challenge. But do concur with you as to which officer is assessing and if he is having a good/bad day.

Thank you everyone for the inputs. Keep them coming if there are any which are missed out. These would definitely help folks.

Well the DAC plan was put on hold, as the friend was skeptical carrying it, especially if it gets chucked at airport screening.

However, just to test waters, I was able to get PI2AES, which in a fully assembled avatar in the cabin bag with no issues.

My takeaway was like @sebi mentioned bringing down the items in fully packed, even with custom charges will be beneficial as opposed to having to import, if such an opportunity arises. Also longer the period of stay, the 'personal effect' claim is easier to substantiate.

Further items costing less than INR 50,000 should not really be an issue from customs standpoint.
Few years back I bought PS4 from Singapore it was in Cabin baggage, value should be less than 30K, with original pack and bag and Sony logo everything visible put that in trolly to get out, my mind was open and ready to pay any duty if they had asked it, but no one had, they left that b'cos of value not high enough for customs to demand duty.Imo if your box size is small and value are not high you should be alright.

I have had friends carry DAC, preamp, poweramp, cables in checkin baggage.
No issues. As long as they don't trigger the 50K limit it should be fine. In some cases it was a little over too.
Don't plan to carry in cabin baggage as it will attract eyeballs and unnecessary scrutiny at airport security.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have had friends carry DAC, preamp, poweramp, cables in checkin baggage
Were they in the original boxes?
As long as they don't trigger the 50K limit it should be fine.
Yep, however the differential amount in excess of INR 50K will be subject to customs levy. So makes a lot of sense to even pay whatever duties levied, than importing, if such opportunities arise.

Thanks to pandemic, this is now not a viable option.

Were they in the original boxes?

Yep, however the differential amount in excess of INR 50K will be subject to customs levy. So makes a lot of sense to even pay whatever duties levied, than importing, if such opportunities arise.

Thanks to pandemic, this is now not a viable option.
DACs: Yes
Pre and power amp: No (the original packaging was bomb proof; had to be discarded)

The bigger items were just wrapped in jeans and clothes.
Differential amount is subject to duty. But if it is a few thousand over no one bothers.

Cheers,
Raghu

Customs are mostly on the lookout for guys carrying contraband like gold, drugs or other stuff that looks like it is for commercially purposes. Unless a passenger is carrying lots and lots of dutiable goods, they wave you through if you tell them that it's a single item that doesn't cost much. I've carried receivers, speakers including subwoofers, projectors and other electronic stuff without too much hassles. The only time I was pulled aside for a search that I can remember was when I carried a generic computer power supply costing about 20 USD or so and the customs guy wasn't very amused when I started laughing but he had to let me go as there was nothing else in my baggage.

Customs are mostly on the lookout for guys carrying contraband like gold, drugs or other stuff that looks like it is for commercially purposes. Unless a passenger is carrying lots and lots of dutiable goods, they wave you through if you tell them that it's a single item that doesn't cost much. I've carried receivers, speakers including subwoofers, projectors and other electronic stuff without too much hassles. The only time I was pulled aside for a search that I can remember was when I carried a generic computer power supply costing about 20 USD or so and the customs guy wasn't very amused when I started laughing but he had to let me go as there was nothing else in my baggage.
How do you manage to carry Sunwoofer? Packages are huge in size to go un noted.

How do you manage to carry Sunwoofer? Packages are huge in size to go un noted.
I didn't try to hide it. As I approached the customs officer I stopped, smiled and told him what exactly it was, that I didn't have any other dutiable items and it didn't cost much more than the minimum amount allowed. He smiled back and waved me through. Customs officials are also not that strict on flights from the U.S..

I didn't try to hide it. As I approached the customs officer I stopped, smiled and told him what exactly it was, that I didn't have any other dutiable items and it didn't cost much more than the minimum amount allowed. He smiled back and waved me through. Customs officials are also not that strict on flights from the U.S..

I agree with grebe925. I have carried sub-woofer, amplifier, Blu-ray player and a number of other items without any hassle through Mumbai, Delhi, and Chennai airports. Never tried to hide anything. I once carried an Onkyo AVR from Dubai. Original packing and all.

I once had carried an Oppo Blu-ray player in hand. I went straight to the red channel. After looking at the brand, the officer admonished me and advised me to buy better brands next time.

Even the sub-woofer had the same results. He found Hsu-Research to be some useless brand.

Only time I had trouble was once in Mumbai when I was returning from Mauritius. The customs guy was drunk and insisted I give him US$100 without checking anything. I raised a stink on the spot. Higher authorities rushed in and shooed me out.

Be honest and straight forward. Most customs guys are humans like us and friendly. If they think you are lying or trying to hide something, that raises their antennas. When returning from Dubai I usually carry a large number of small items in one or more cardboard boxes. I head straight for the customs guy near the exit, take him aside and explain what I am carrying, sometimes with invoices in my hand. They usually lose interest in under 30 seconds.

In the recent few trips, I did'nt even pay cognisance to the customs people at exit. I just walk out casually. I have never been stopped or questioned.

Cheers.

I agree with grebe925. I have carried sub-woofer, amplifier, Blu-ray player and a number of other items without any hassle through Mumbai, Delhi, and Chennai airports. Never tried to hide anything. I once carried an Onkyo AVR from Dubai. Original packing and all.

I once had carried an Oppo Blu-ray player in hand. I went straight to the red channel. After looking at the brand, the officer admonished me and advised me to buy better brands next time.

Even the sub-woofer had the same results. He found Hsu-Research to be some useless brand.

Only time I had trouble was once in Mumbai when I was returning from Mauritius. The customs guy was drunk and insisted I give him US$100 without checking anything. I raised a stink on the spot. Higher authorities rushed in and shooed me out.

Be honest and straight forward. Most customs guys are humans like us and friendly. If they think you are lying or trying to hide something, that raises their antennas. When returning from Dubai I usually carry a large number of small items in one or more cardboard boxes. I head straight for the customs guy near the exit, take him aside and explain what I am carrying, sometimes with invoices in my hand. They usually lose interest in under 30 seconds.

In the recent few trips, I did'nt even pay cognisance to the customs people at exit. I just walk out casually. I have never been stopped or questioned.

Cheers.
:D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back