Can I use my old LD component system via AVR?

xela

Greetings!

I already connected my old speakers from my old pioneer component to the AV receiver as surround speakers, per Soundsgreat suggestion. My question now is - Can I use the component system as one of the sources of video inputs (laser disk player) in the AVR?

The back panel of the component has only the following:

1. RCAs for Audio In and Audio Out (L and R)
2. RCA for Video
3. Terminals for surround speakers
4. Terminals for R and L speakers

Thanks again and regards!

Of course you can.

You said the LD has the following connections.

1. RCAs for Audio In and Audio Out (L and R)
2. RCA for Video
3. Terminals for surround speakers
4. Terminals for R and L speakers

If I understand right, your LD has two RCA outs for audio, and one RCA out for video. If you look closely, the inside of these sockets will have red, white, and yellow markers.

Since you will be using the AVR for all amplification, you should leave the terminals for speakers alone. Connect the LD player to the AVR using RCA cables - two for audio and one for video. Your AVR will have terminals for connecting (in) through RCA cables, and these will be labelled as COMPOSITE video connections.

RCA type AV components are usually color coded: red, white, and yellow. Use red plugs to connect right channel audio input from the LD (typically labelled 'R'). Use white plugs to connect left channel audio input from the LD (typically labelled "L"). And use yellow plugs to connect composite video input from your LD.

In your AVR settings, remember to set it to recognise COMPOSITE video connections, and you may also be able to label it as LD. Some AVRs will call it VCRs or ny some other name. That really does not matter as long as your remember that your LD is connected through a composite video connection and what the AVRs internal label for that connection is.

Next type you play a LD, choose the right label in your AVR's remote (suc as VCR), and you can enjoy the output of the LD.

Now your LD will be a part of the AVR based HT system.

One question, where do you get LDs from?

Thanks a lot Venkatcr!

That was crystal-clear!

The LDs were my wife's collections. Several movies but most were music with pics LDs. She got those when the LD rental shop closed in the advent of VCDs and DVDs. The LDs were offered for sale on bargain prices. She was also able to buy several LDs offered in audio stores but that was several years ago. I have not seen LDs since then. . . Now you know why I'm so eager to use the old component!:D

Thanks again!

Hi Venkatcr!

I was able to install the LD/CD component player in no time, thanks for your help! . . . but sad to say, only the CD player functioned properly on my first try. When I tried the LD, it did not play :( Worst, when I tried again the CD, it was not functioning anymore! . . . Maybe I'll bring it to the service center tomorrow. . .

Regards!

Hi Venkatcr!

I was able to install the LD/CD component player in no time, thanks for your help! . . . but sad to say, only the CD player functioned properly on my first try. When I tried the LD, it did not play :( Worst, when I tried again the CD, it was not functioning anymore! . . . Maybe I'll bring it to the service center tomorrow. . .

Regards!

I don't understand. What exactly happened. When you say the LD/CD Payer did not work, what exactly happened? Did the power lights come on in the player? Can you explain the exact sequence. Maybe we can help.

Hello Venkatcr,

My pioneer stereo component system, circa 1998 HT in a box, can play both CDs and LDs. It was not used since I upgraded my HT to Bose Accoustimas 6 three years ago. . . . But because of the prodding of my wife :) to make the component be part of my new HT, I seek your help how to install it via AVR.

I installed the the component per your help. . . When I tried a music CD it played beautifully. Then I tried the LD but it did not play. . . There was an "U1" display in the front panel. . . I tried to troubleshoot it with the help of the manual to no avail. . . Then I played the same music CD again, but this time no sound came from the speakers. . . It also displayed the same "U1".

Venkatcr, I already brought it to the service center this morning. Maybe it needs some cleaning. . . BTW, I cleaned the disc before I placed it on the LD tray.

Thanks Venkatcr!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back