Can Subwoofer cables be used as Interconnects.

msaab90

I was looking for long interconnects ( around 10 feet), and couldn't find high quality one's at the usual online retailers, the usual lengths are limited to 2 meters. While looking around it was obvious that longer subwoofer cables are more a norm. They are better insulated, have better connectors and have wider frequency range. So my question to the experienced FM's is : Can I use two subwoofer cables in place of stereo RCA interconnects and are there any potential pitfalls to such a solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Amazonbasics has good RCA stereo interconnects
Alternatively you can use 2X subwoofer cables - and no, it won't be any worse than a long stereo interconnect

PS: I don't believe in esoteric connectors and wires- I use regular good quality I/Cs and regular 14AWG wire runs so take my advice with a pinch of salt

I was looking for long interconnects ( around 10 feet), and couldn't find high quality one's at the usual online retailers, the usual lengths are limited to 2 meters. While looking around it was obvious that longer subwoofer cables are more a norm. They are better insulated, have better connectors and have wider frequency range. So my question to the experienced FM's is : Can I use two subwoofer cables in place of stereo RCA interconnects and are there any potential pitfalls to such a solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Without an issue, you can use Sub Cable for long run RCAs.

MaSh

Thanks for the quick response. To further my question, i am intrigued whether good quality subwoofer cables in pair, example: mediabridge dual shielded cable are better option than similarly or slightly higher priced stereo interconnects. I am currently using chord crimsons as my short interconnects. System is fairly revealing with zu audio Omens, and primaluna prologue 4. Trying to connect my avr to preamp which are 10 feet apart thus this discussion.

it will work but RCA cables designed for subwoofers are super insulated to avoid humming from subwoofers(as they normally play low in frequency). I
don't know if that will be ok for your setup. Try & see for yourself.

Cheers.

it will work but RCA cables designed for subwoofers are super insulated to avoid humming from subwoofers(as they normally play low in frequency). I
don't know if that will be ok for your setup. Try & see for yourself.

Cheers.
Greater insulation is always better for interconnects as they carry low amplitude signals prone to interference

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back