Can we connect 16 Ohm Amp to an 8 Ohm Speaker,if not how to modify

vinylhead

Hi,

Iam getting a vintage quad classic mono blocks, i have Tannoy HPD 385 speakers which are 8 Ohms, vintage Quad needs to be connected to a 16 Ohm speakers.
Can anyone tell me how to modify quad or else should I connect dummy load of 8 Ohms in series to the cables going to the speakers.

Hello,

As far as I know you can't connect low impedance speakers to higher AVR as it will result more current in AVR which will cause overheat and can damage the AVR

Theoretically, If you connect two 8ohm speakers in series the overall impredence will be approx 16ohm. But, in this case you would need 4 speakers for a stereo setup.

Hi,

Iam getting a vintage quad classic mono blocks, i have Tannoy HPD 385 speakers which are 8 Ohms, vintage Quad needs to be connected to a 16 Ohm speakers.
Can anyone tell me how to modify quad or else should I connect dummy load of 8 Ohms in series to the cables going to the speakers.

Hi,

If they are the original Quad II monoblocks they can be changed to 8 ohms by changing the taps on the output transformer.

Will involve some soldering. Instructions are in the owners manual.
Connecting 8 ohms to 16 ohms speakers will not damage the amp. Bass may be a little woolly.

Regards
Rajiv

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back