Canare / Mogami / Anti Cables - for speakers

Yes, i have same experience, but i felt bass too got tightened and more specifically i could differentiate bass note significantly.

Just got the Mogami 2921 last night.
I was planning to plug them in next weekend along with some other changes.

Am glad that I did not wait!!

I am the types who find cables and interconnects actually do matter but THIS was something I did not expect.

I was using regular copper cable of 14 AWG from a local supplier and this is my first branded speaker cable.
Since I already used and saw the performance of Mogami interconnects, I went with Mogami as a brand for speaker cables as well.

Music used for the listening session
- phill Collins (rain down on me, one more night)
- Eric Clapton (walk away, tears in heaven)
- Eagles (long road out of Eden, waiting in the weeds)
- DIO (holy diver, rock n roll children)
- dire straits (your latest trick, fade to black)
Joe satriani - (crying, friends)
- Hindi (kutch khas hai)

The notes seem to come from a pitch black background and for lack of better words, seem to hover in air (extremely good rendering)

The Sax in dire straits "latest trick" felt delicate instead of piercing.
The bass was controlled but was slightly weaker.
The midrange was the most impacted and became extremely well defined and sharp (something I always felt lacking in my setup)

Treble was also improved but I personally did not find it "bright" I would classify more like "shimmering"

Spacial separation was also improved reasonable. The instruments could be separately identified and sounded real.

I realise this is sounding like an advertisement for Mogami :)
Really not sure if the Mogami cables were soo good or my previous cable was crap s%^t.

Overall, very satisfied with the change !!

Just got the Mogami 2921 last night.
I was planning to plug them in next weekend along with some other changes.

Am glad that I did not wait!!

I am the types who find cables and interconnects actually do matter but THIS was something I did not expect.

I was using regular copper cable of 14 AWG from a local supplier and this is my first branded speaker cable.
Since I already used and saw the performance of Mogami interconnects, I went with Mogami as a brand for speaker cables as well.

Music used for the listening session
- phill Collins (rain down on me, one more night)
- Eric Clapton (walk away, tears in heaven)
- Eagles (long road out of Eden, waiting in the weeds)
- DIO (holy diver, rock n roll children)
- dire straits (your latest trick, fade to black)
Joe satriani - (crying, friends)
- Hindi (kutch khas hai)

The notes seem to come from a pitch black background and for lack of better words, seem to hover in air (extremely good rendering)

The Sax in dire straits "latest trick" felt delicate instead of piercing.
The bass was controlled but was slightly weaker.
The midrange was the most impacted and became extremely well defined and sharp (something I always felt lacking in my setup)

Treble was also improved but I personally did not find it "bright" I would classify more like "shimmering"

Spacial separation was also improved reasonable. The instruments could be separately identified and sounded real.

I realise this is sounding like an advertisement for Mogami :)
Really not sure if the Mogami cables were soo good or my previous cable was crap s%^t.

Overall, very satisfied with the change !!
Where did you buy the cables from?

piyush
as OM has posted above
MOGAMI has indian representation here officially through SoundFoundations and online representation through HIFIMART

Ali Bhai,
Do you have Mogami 2921 in stock with you? Kindly PM me.

Best regards

we have the 2972 quad core which is almost the same as the 2921 you are referring to
a 500 foot roll of the 2921 weighs 28kg
and the 2972 weighs 26.5 kgs

so theres a very small differnce in gauge
one is 2,5mm sqaure ( 2921)
the other is 2.0 mm square ( 2972)

@piyush.
What is your setup currently?
Cables will improve sound yes. But, only if the other components are good.
Basically, cables will be provide the smallest improvement compared to amp dac and other components.

@magma
Not sure if this is allowed but if so, could you mention what rate per foot it retails for?

Last edited by a moderator:
@piyush.
Basically, cables will be provide the smallest improvement compared to amp dac and other components.
I would be using them in car audio. Planning to use them in 1m runs from dsp to amp. Also planning to run the speaker wires from boot to front

@piyush.

rastapopulus
you forgot to mention
that just the room "setup" or acoustics also play a factor larger than cables

the pricelist should be up on my website in pdf just a bit after idd

Mogami W 3082

There are many factors that are still not fully understood. One being the effect of RF and other EMI artifacts that might be fed back to the amp and affect it's sonics. Today's environment is full of RF hash . So maybe some amps need to be protected from RFI /EMI ingress via the speakers leads which tend to be a long antenna. The solution would be a co-axial cable ! However most coaxial cables are designed for low level signals or RF transmission. So the resistance of the shield and the core conductor would be fairly high. Mogami has a coaxial speaker cable that addresses this. Very chunky core and equally chunky shield called the W3082.I saw a price of $1.20 per foot at one site ! About Rs 210/- per meter. However it looks like you can only buy a full roll at one time. Might end up costing something like Rs 370/- per meter with shipping and duty!

Anyone tried this cable ?

We could also experiment with regular speaker cable. Wrap the full length with Aluminum foil and earth the shield . Compare it with the same cable unshielded ! Hope someone has time to try this and report their findings. Adhesive Al foil tape might be useful but possibly much more expensive.
I think we need to explore this. Where does one get Al foil in say 2 inch wide rolls ?
Edit: Just remembered. There is a shop in Bangalore called Tape World on SP road. They might have it. Also found that it is available for about Rs900 ( 48mm x 110 meters ) on Ebay.in !

Specifications:
Conductor: Details: 80/0.18 OFC (80 33AWG)Size(mm(2)): 2.03mm(2) (Approx. #15AWG)
Insulation: Ov. Dia.(mm): 4.6 diameter (0.181")Material: PVCColors: White
Served Shield: Details: 80/0.18 OFC (80 33AWG)Size(mm(2)): 2.03mm(2) (Approx. #15AWG)
Jacket:Ov. Dia.(mm): 6.5+/-0.5i (0.256+/-0.0197"i)Material: Flexible PVCColor: Black
Roll Size: 100m (328Ft) / 200m (656Ft) / 153m (500Ft)
Weight per 100m Roll: 7.5kg

Electrical & Mechanical Characteristics:
DC Resistance at 20C: 0.009W/m(0.0027W/Ft) Same value for both internal and outernal/shield conductor)
Capacitance at 1kHz, 20C: 253pF/m(77pF/Ft)
Inductance: 0.4H/m(0.12H/Ft)
Electrostatic Noise: 0.2mV Max.
Electromagnetic Noise at 10kHz: 0.2mV Max.
Voltage Breakdown: Must withstand at DC 500V/15sec.
Insulation Resistance: 100000 MW m Min. at DC 500V, 20C
Flex Life: 15,000 cycles

Last edited by a moderator:
sir
the 3082 is a difficult cable to terminate
its a co ax

please note

we normally sell this cable factory terminated
of course youre always welcome to try unterminated if youre sure you know what youre doing

In one of the blogs, I read the following review, hope it helps:
MOGAMI CABLES
This letter, from an interested reader, provides some observations about a cable I heard many years ago. There's some very minor editing and my bold:
"Like most audiophiles, I have gone through all kinds of audio cables; maybe eight different kinds through the years, not counting power cables. I have heard an equal amount in other peoples systems. While not owning any very high priced cable (above $1k per meter) I have heard a few examples and generally thought they exaggerated detail retrieval. Your experience with the discontinued Polk cable got me thinking recently to try some Mogami cable, which I have used with recording gear, but never tried with an audio system.
Mogami wire is used in many professional recording studios. Anyway, I had Mogami interconnects constructed with Neutrik RCAconnectors (the cost was about $50 for a 6 foot pair, with about $30 of that due to the premium connectors). The interconnects look inexpensive and are as flexible as a wet noodle. I also got a 10 foot run of Mogami speaker cables with spade connectors (about $100), which look more substantial, but are still fairly flexible. When I hooked these cables up, and played the first LP and CD, I felt like an audiofool for spending so much money on all the other more expensive cables. In addition to outstanding clarity and tonal balance, what impressed me most was the boundlessness of the sound. I was reminded of the Haitink/Philips recording of (Debussy's) Iberia that you mentioned in your Supreme Recordings, except that I was now hearing it to an increased extent with most of my records. The bass clarity and extension is also noteworthy.
I did notice a slight increased gentleness to treble transients. At first, I thought the cable had blunted these transients, but closer listening led me to conclude it was due to the removal of distortion, rather than loss of detail. These characteristics remained stable when I used the cables in each of my 3 systems, which is a first in my experience for a cable. In the past, my cables have had definite system interactions, and I never was able to use the same one for all types of systems. At these prices, folks dont have to trust my opinions, but can try it for themselves. There is another widely used pro cable company called Canare. However, I do not recommend their cables for audio systems." (9/09)
MOGAMI CABLES
A veteran reader has provided further information about his experiences with Mogami cable, which many audiophiles feel are some of the best values available today. Here it is, with my bold:
"...Only Mogami W3103 (2 conductor @ $2.80 p foot) or W3104 (4 conductor@ $5 p foot) speaker cable receives my highest recommendation. Their model number W3082 is half the price, but noticeably less transparent. At these prices why cut corners? These prices are for unterminated cables. Terminations are another $30 or 40 per cable. BTW, the recommended interconnects are model 2528, also cheap. I have found much less system dependency with these cables. I use them with all 3 of my systems that I described in a previous message. I find Redco a reliable vendor for sales and assembly of these cables." (01/12)

Funny how those two smileys entered the cable data in my last post ! :D

I also read that comment on the Mogami site but didn't notice the line "model number W3082 is half the price, but noticeably less transparent" ! But I do recall it now .The gray cells need to perk up a bit ! :) Might need some spirit water !

Anyway the shield experiment on a regular speaker cable might still be an interesting thing to try. A friend dealing with HVAC said the aluminum foil tape ( which they use) costs only Rs70 a roll and is 1.5 inches wide and 100 feet long. I will search it out later this week.

The 3082 is specified as a 'speaker cable' by Mogami. The thick central conductor and massive shield wire does indicate that it isn't a normal coaxial cable.

Magma: How much does this cable cost unterminated in India ? You can send me a PM if pricing isn't meant to be given on the open forum. Thanks.

The ones I got had silver solder and after 20+ hours I am finding a bit of the treble elevated in some songs.
The "Ssss" sounds get a bit prominent.
Yet a bit early to say if the source material is at fault as it is only in some recordings.

Lead foil will do a better job than aluminium foil. I recently heard from a fellow forumer that small lead tubes when encircling speaker cables at the speaker end improve the sound. Sounds crazy, isn't it;)

I haven't tried this personally so can't say how effective it is. But I'm perfectly willing to try lead foil when I have the chance to buy it from the market.

The usual caveat about lead being harmful applies.

PS: for the record, I'm a happy camper in the Mogami camp. I use two pairs of Mogami 2803 and Mogami 3103 speaker cables. Earlier I had used Mogami 2954 ICs till they were superseded by the 2803s.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back