Canare / Mogami / Anti Cables - for speakers

panditji

Hi

Finally, I think I would like to change my speaker cables from the ones which I bought 10 years ago (no idea which ones)..Would not like to spend a lot of money on speaker cables and wanted to know if anyone has any of the above 3 mentioned cables or used them at any time and what would they recommend ?

I think all 3 cost the same with Mogami a little more expensive but not that big of a deal breaker...your opinions and advice would be much appreciated...

Hi Panditji

Anti cable is solid core. The other two are stranded wire. You first need to figure out if you like solid core or stranded wire. Solid core will be more focussed, coherent and organic. Stranded wire will be more open and spacious

I've been using the Mogami 3103. I like it a lot. Right now I'm trying another Mogami speaker cable from Sound Foundation. Curiously, it is a double coaxial - one core with two outer braids.

Haven't tried any Canare.

But the best sounding in my setup was a solid core Acoustic Revive speaker cable. Much costlier too.

Thanks jls001 but you say that the solid core was the best you heard even though you are quite happy with the stranded Mogami...Now I am confused...Anti cables are reasonably priced especially the Level 2 ones and so is Canare....

Let me try the Canare speaker cable as a Delhi FM has one for spare and will then decide between Canare or Anticables...

Is it fair to say that the Canare and Mogami will kind of sound similar because they are stranded and not solid core?

no panditji.

Firstly - what you hear is a function of what you ( or anyone ) CAN hear.

cable differences are subtle but noticeable and just because they are stranded does not mean a same same sound output.

try the Canare - they are nice - used to have them once upon a time.

If someone can lend you the Mogamis - try them too - but they may not be your last stop.

Try also - something better from chord...or something similar..

ultimately its a matter of budget and ears..

There is also some belief about interconnect vs speaker cable... as being the bigger sound differential.

all this is confusing..

but thats the business..

rgds

My suggestion is hear a solid core and a stranded wire. Decide between the two and then look at brand options. If for example you like solid core then there is an option of flat wire or round wire. Both sound different. If stranded, you can get various geometries. The main differences in speaker cables sounding a bit different is because of these factors.

If everything between two different wires is same like the same AWG, same number of strands, same braiding, same dielectric and same connectors, then they will pretty much sound the same

Try Chord Leyline. They're stupid good for the price.

If you think solid core is for you, buy solid core electric earthing wire, twist lightly and try them out before spending much. You may be surprised.

I think I will try the Canare first since an FM has it already and if not too happy, will try the Anti Cables Level 2 as they seem to be reasonably priced as well....

Also Keith, are you talking about this:

Chord Company Leyline Speaker Cable Per Metre

They seem to be quite reasonably priced as well...I will add it to my list of cables to consider as they cost under Rs. 5000 with Chord terminations...

Last edited:
Thanks Keith...Will order these if I feel the Canare is not working for me...At about Rs. 3,300 for a 3m pair with one end Chord termination, it is a steal even if they are decent...

Panditji, those Chord cables are plated copper. Not sure if it's the right choice for music. Looks more suitable for home theatre

Try and go with unplated copper, if possible.

If you believe in audibility changes caused due to the skin effect:

Copper WILL corrode over time and this reduces conductivity due to the skin effect. IF a VERY thin plating is applied, depending on the material used for the plating, the loss due to the conductivity of the plating is negligible [AND I doubt is audible] BUT due to the plating there will be no corrosion [which is the bigger evil].

Or so they say.

Last edited:
Panditji, Keith is spot on.

I am no technical expert. Mine is based on what i have heard.

I always felt plain copper sounded better than plated copper.

In a speaker wire what is important is the resistance to 20 to 20000 hz. Lower the resistance the better it is. The lower frequencies travel in the centre of the conductor and the higher towards the outside. On the surface we are talking of frequencies of 1 Mhz which is inaudible. Technically plating should not cause any problem because the frequencies that travel through the plating are of the order of 1Mhz but in practice it does sound different. I have no idea why. Maybe the process of plating causes certain anomalies in the copper? I have no clue. I find oxidised copper to be a much lesser evil than plated copper. Anyways in most systems signal passes through a lot of copper in the circuitry. Hook up wires are typically pure copper. In amp where output transformers are used, the transformers again use pure copper wire. So i prefer sticking to unplated copper.

Why dont you hear both types of cables and decide what floats your boat?

Since you use Harbeth speakers why dont you check what other users of Harbeth use as their speaker cable?

Panditji, Viren has some solid core copper cable from Jupiter cables. That should give you a fair idea of how solid core sounds

Also AVM on forum has flat cables from Rethm. You could hear that too

And if you are in no mood to experiment:) just get Mogami and be done with. You can't go too wrong with Mogami

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me check with Viren sir...

I did hear Vinay's speakers with the cables but there was an issue with the tubes that day and therefore could not really listen...Vinay has taken care of that tube and now a visit is due again...

Other Harbeth users are using everything under the sun such as Canare, Kimber Cable, Audioquest cables etc..However a UK dealer told me to use Canare and hence that came into the equation and Prem suggested Anti Cables and Mogami is the current flavour of the season....

I think I will decide between a Canare and Mogami depending upon ease of procuring....Many thanks everyone for your insight and advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Panditji
Do post back on your findings once you get the cables.
Also, what kind and thickness cables are you using currently?

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back