Car door's Damping - Advise required.

joshi4087

i am planing to put dampmat in my car (Volkswagen vento) doors. i would like to know which brand damping mat is good. Heard Tar mat also available. which 1 is good comparatively. any idea about the cost for this work?

Also would like to know is there any good places in Trivandrum or cochin for this work.

appreciate early response for my question

In Cochin, you can get it done at Emperor Car Accessories. They have the best installer in the state. Call them at 04842535984 or 04842343127. The shop is on the service road, opposite the Ernakulam Medical Center (EMC) on the Edappally By-pass Road. Their workshop is quite close by.

If you can spare a weekend then diy is the best way forward. Loads of videos on youtube and articles on the www. Else Emperor in Cochin as hydra mentioned.
Dampmat is vfm and locally manufactured, IIRC the owner Monty is based in Punjab and a very helpful chap.

-Monty is reachable on 9876000991 or [email protected].

+1 to Dampmat which is made in India. It is thicker and better than Dynamat. Quite cheaper as well.

Could you please provide the prices and the respective sheet size of DampMat, Noisekill and Dynamat.

I'm just curious, why exactly you are getting your doors damped. Don't do it because it is recommended by others for a mid to hi fi Install. Unless you are amping your door speakers/can hear your door pads/door panels singing along with the music, you really dont need to. And depending on whether the sound is coming from the door panels/door pads you'll need to do different things.

Of course, any good installer hates being told what to do by a newbie, but if you give them a rough estimate of your budget, and your specific problem, they'll arrive at the same conclusion on their own :)

^^ I completely agree with greenhorn. Especially because I just saw that the car is a VW Vento.

The Vento & the Polo have pretty much bulletproof doors as far as audio is concerned. For most mid-grade & below setups you will NOT need any damping in the doors. If your speaker & speaker amp outlay was under say 25K (better way of measuring than by wattage), you definitely do NOT need damping for a Vento.

Even in my i20 with solid built quality I damped the doors only after 2 years because of the horrible roads in Bangalore, otherwise there is no need to damp the makes of i20s, polos or ventos. Yes with the damping the rattle/vibration has stopped when playing music with moderate volume.

I would differ from the opinion of damping is needed only for high budget setups. Damping can reduce resonance and unwanted back firing of speakers. It is not just for reducing rattle. A simple HU and 4 speaker setup can also benefit from damping. They also helps a bit in eliminating road noise and helps to bring the noise floor down.

Even in my i20 with solid built quality I damped the doors only after 2 years because of the horrible roads in Bangalore, otherwise there is no need to damp the makes of i20s, polos or ventos. Yes with the damping the rattle/vibration has stopped when playing music with moderate volume.
Which year made i20 are yours? As I find the build quality of doorpads of my 2011 i20 quite low compared to polo or Fabia or even figo .. Though the bass is not too boomy as in polo or vento u never had any problem of rattling at normal levels say at about the 2/3rd of the default system ?

Which year made i20 are yours? As I find the build quality of doorpads of my 2011 i20 quite low compared to polo or Fabia or even figo .. Though the bass is not too boomy as in polo or vento u never had any problem of rattling at normal levels say at about the 2/3rd of the default system ?

I meant 'normal' because the default system is not too loud

Mine is also a 2011 made i20 CRDi and the damping was more than sufficient for the last 2 years. I got the damping done 3 or 4 months back and the rattle/vibration has gone. I have a 2 DIN Pioneer HU replacing the default HU in my i20 with JL audio components in the front and coaxials in rear doors.

Mine is also a 2011 made i20 CRDi and the damping was more than sufficient for the last 2 years. I got the damping done 3 or 4 months back and the rattle/vibration has gone. I have a 2 DIN Pioneer HU replacing the default HU in my i20 with JL audio components in the front and coaxials in rear doors.

The stereo has any connection to the car's display and steering controls? I dropped the plan of changing the headunit because of this silly reason earlier..

The stereo has any connection to the car's display and steering controls? I dropped the plan of changing the headunit because of this silly reason earlier..

No as my version of i20 is Magna which does not have steering mounted audio controls. But I got a Pioneer's steering remote which works perfectly albeit less aesthetic. Looking at the teambhp site there are some people who have changed the HU and still use the default company steering controls with a adapter. I think you can try the same. But I will caution you that some of the trip related controls are available on the default HU which will be missed if you remove the HU.

The damping cost me around 4k locally done near my home. If you can DIY (or get it done at a car interior shop) then I think the Yoga mats are the best bet and also cheaper to do the same and you can get a single Yoga mat at bigbazaaar for around 200 to 300 and I think 3 mats should be sufficient to damp a i20 without the boot damping. Even this has been mentioned by some people at teambhp site.

Last edited:
No as my version of i20 is Magna which does not have steering mounted audio controls. But I got a Pioneer's steering remote which works perfectly albeit less aesthetic. Looking at the teambhp site there are some people who have changed the HU and still use the default company steering controls with a adapter. I think you can try the same. But I will caution you that some of the trip related controls are available on the default HU which will be missed if you remove the HU.

The damping cost me around 4k locally done near my home. If you can DIY (or get it done at a car interior shop) then I think the Yoga mats are the best bet and also cheaper to do the same and you can get a single Yoga mat at bigbazaaar for around 200 to 300 and I think 3 mats should be sufficient to damp a i20 without the boot damping. Even this has been mentioned by some people at teambhp site.

Mm, I was not thinking about the trip.. That will be a miss, I thought if you remove the stereo the date / time plus trip would still remain.. As display would show whatever as if the stereo is off! Thanx for the info anyway

Mm, I was not thinking about the trip.. That will be a miss, I thought if you remove the stereo the date / time plus trip would still remain.. As display would show whatever as if the stereo is off! Thanx for the info anyway

I think there are couple of controls on the HU for the trip but the date/clock has its own controls near the time display so no issues with it. I do not use the trip, so I did not mind about it.

If your door pads didnt rattle in the first place, and later started rattling, then damping is a very expensive fix. What happens is that there are small plastic clips that hold the door pad in place. Some of them break, are misplaced by service centre folks etc, which leads to rattling/vibrations where they are missing. A replacement plastic clip should be 10 rs or so. No need to spend a few K on damping :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back