Car speakers for Onkyo SR508?

phs_shiva

Hii Friends,
I am planning to take used Onkyo SR508 for Rs.20000. I have 4 car car speakers of 100w-RMS 4ohms (3way) made by Pioneer. My question is; Can I make a proper wooden enclosure for my Car speakers and use them with SR508? My budget is limited at this time. And one more question; is 20K for 1 year used SR508 reasonable?
Appreciate you valuable suggestions,
Shiva

I would be more comfortable with a 3400 or its newer variant.It would mean an additional expense of around 4000. The positive aspect is that it would come with stock speakers which are pretty good.3400 also has a host of good features which are current.

Car speakers are not designed for home use mainly because of the environment in which it works. This is not at all recommended unless you want to experiment big time and a have a good knowledge of speaker design....

HTH

20k for used onkyo 508 is a high price. It is an ole model replaced by 509. The price was around 25k only for a new one.

Thanks for your advice guys. In that case, preferably, I would go for Onkyo 3400. But can anyone please suggest me a shop in Hyderabad, where I can get it for 25K. Because, the price everywhere is Rs.27K including Reliance Digital.
Shiva

What actually you wanted to achieve with your 4 car speaker and Onkyo 508?

Use it for stereo or home theatre use or both? Home theatre set up is not achievable as you need minimum 6 drivers (one of them as a sub woofer).

For stereo use, you can use two car speakers (drivers actually) for two channels and use the other two for another room.

I request you to look at the manual of 508 and then decide. You will be in a better situation once you understand capabilities of the amplifier.

If you want to buy a stereo amplifier (available for 20K or less brand new) and use your car speakers, it is possbile with some ifs and buts. Again, you have to understand what those car speaker drivers want. For start, those drivers need an amplifier which can support 4 ohms impedence of a speaker. You alternatively can put two drievers in series (per channel) and use it almost any home use amplifiers. BUT, having two drivers driving the same frequency can add unintended colouration and distortion. I have not used car speakers at home but know people who had used and were happy with it.

It all depends on how much you know about your music system and how much you want from your system. Car speakers are designed to sound good in a small space, I doubt how good will it sound at home.

If you can, play those drivers in your home placing them bare on floor, listen to them carefully. If they sound really too lean, too harsh and too weak, forget them for home use. Remember, if they lack bass, it is not much difficult to gain it back, but if they lack mid, you will loose a lot. This is in consideration that you will listen them placing bare on the floor. Best is to let somebody hold it 3 feet away from any any wall or floor and facing you.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back