Cartridge advice

shaizada

Guys,

I'm just digging around for a new cartridge. I have a new phono stage coming in (Ray Samuels Nighthawk, Moving Magnet AND Moving Coil) and a separate JMW 12.5 arm tube that can be used to put on a second cartridge. This way I can have two cartridges on the same table (this is VERY exciting for me).

Anyhow, I have 22 boxes of records sitting in the garage that I couldn't possibly play on my current cartridge (Clearaudio Accurate), as I was worried about the needle getting damaged.

However, with a second arm tube coming in, I'm looking for a cartridge that isn't too much money (less that $600 please, even a preowned is fair game) that I can use and enjoy.

Do you guys have any suggestions and any favorites?

After you give some ideas, I would have to figure out the resonant frequency of the cartridge with my tonearm (effective weight is 11.2 grams for the tonearm). If the resonant frequency matches (should be between 9Hz ~ 12Hz, ideally) depending on the compliance of the cartridge, I can look into it further and see if its a good match.

At one point, I was thinking of just picking up a Shure M97xE and feel free to play any record in any condition...but now I'm thinking again.

What I REALLY want at the moment, but can't justify the funds for currently is a Miyajima Shilabe (low output Moving Coil also), but it costs $2800 retail (I am very pressed for funds currently as my wife and I JUST bought a second home that we will be putting up for rent and might need some financial commitments).

As you can see, I'm very confused. Please throw out some suggestions that I can look into. Hopefully, you guys have personal experience with the sound of the cartridges you suggest.

Thanks so much for any input! I genuinely appreciate it.

Oh Arup, I know you're going to read this post :) Can you find out any recommendations from your friend? I saw that cartridge display and can't get it out of my mind. Also, ask him what he likes/dislikes about his cartridge suggestions. Thank you dost.

Last edited:
If you want a versatile MM, then you can't go wrong with the Ortofon 2M range, particularly the 2M Blue ($199), with the advantage of replaceable stylus. It's reportedly as good as the discontinued V15VxMR , so I guess that's high praise indeed.
The Clearaudio MMs (Virtuoso and Maestro) are better, but they don't offer replaceable styli, and are costlier (800 to 1K).

If it's MC that you prefer, then the AT OC9MLII is superb at $350, with great trackability. Or any in the Micro-Benz entry range like the Ace which now retails at $375.

Thanks for the recs guys. I've been looking at the Soundsmith line up. Peter does a bang up job with cartridges and I've yet to hear a disappointed customer.

What else has blown your socks off for the price? Just wanted a list of a few. Then I can start doing all my research and figure out which might work best for me.

Hi shaizada,
how difficult or easy it is to replace the cartridge in a VPI TT. I mean to say is it possible to have two cartridges and just use them accordingly depending on the quality of the record. Is it the case that replacing the tonearm all together is much easier than the cartridge. I have ordered this Michael Fremer's Practical Guide to Turntable Set-Up DVD.Hope to have some beeter idea when it arrives.
Thanks.

Mahiruha,

Having two cartridges and wanting to set them on one tone arm is going to get somewhat troublesome. There is no point to that as setting a cartridge takes patience and time. Once set up though, the rewards are over the top amazing.

It would be a nightmare trying to manage two carts with one arm, unless you plan to keep each one for an extended period of time on the arm.

Best thing is to do what I did (when you feel like you're ready), is to get a second arm wand. Then you can have both cartridges on their arm want with the VTF, azimuth, overhang setup. Only you might need to play with the VTA (arm height adjustment), but then you have the luxury of running two different arms.

That video is quite good and you will definitely learn a ton from it.

So yes, changing the arm tube (not the whole tonearm) is much easier than changing cartridges on the same arm.

If I remember correctly, you were gearing up to buy a VPI right? Make sure you get the VPI Classic. That is where I would put my money right now if I were in the market. That is a damn good turntable!

If you want a versatile MM, then you can't go wrong with the Ortofon 2M range, particularly the 2M Blue ($199), with the advantage of replaceable stylus. It's reportedly as good as the discontinued V15VxMR , so I guess that's high praise indeed.
The Clearaudio MMs (Virtuoso and Maestro) are better, but they don't offer replaceable styli, and are costlier (800 to 1K).

If it's MC that you prefer, then the AT OC9MLII is superb at $350, with great trackability. Or any in the Micro-Benz entry range like the Ace which now retails at $375.

That Audio Technica AT OC9MLII is looking really good right now...
But I'm also seriously thinking about the Shelter 501 MKII. Thoughts?

Mahiruha,

Having two cartridges and wanting to set them on one tone arm is going to get somewhat troublesome. There is no point to that as setting a cartridge takes patience and time. Once set up though, the rewards are over the top amazing.

It would be a nightmare trying to manage two carts with one arm, unless you plan to keep each one for an extended period of time on the arm.

Best thing is to do what I did (when you feel like you're ready), is to get a second arm wand. Then you can have both cartridges on their arm want with the VTF, azimuth, overhang setup. Only you might need to play with the VTA (arm height adjustment), but then you have the luxury of running two different arms.

That video is quite good and you will definitely learn a ton from it.

So yes, changing the arm tube (not the whole tonearm) is much easier than changing cartridges on the same arm.

If I remember correctly, you were gearing up to buy a VPI right? Make sure you get the VPI Classic. That is where I would put my money right now if I were in the market. That is a damn good turntable!

Hi Shaizada,
thanks for the suggestion. I see your point. I am hoping to get this VPI classic with Dynavector cart but do you think a reasonably cleaned pre owned record can really damage a cartridge.But I guess it is a question of risk reward trade off.:)
Thanks.

Honestly, as long as you don't abuse the cartridge, these things are pretty durable. Don't do anything silly, and they will last as long as their pre destined life is. If the record is clean looking with no obvious flaws like sticky stuff, mold, gauged vinyl areas then there is no problem. If there is an obvious flaw in the record, no point running the needle through it.

Man that VPI Classic with the Dynavector cart will be something to listen to. All my friend who have bought the VPI Classic are just so very happy with it. Seriously, that table competes with competitors in the $10k class. It would be a bargain at $5k. It is RIDICULOUS as $2.5k for JUST the table alone.

You really have chosen wisely my friend. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Spit out those secret cartridges fellas! I want something before the end of two weeks, maybe three. I get the arm and the new phono stage next week by tuesday or wednesday at the latest.

About your Cartridge, buddy, you don't want to spend yet you want the best from those LPs sitting in the garage. What do I say? Get a rugged low noise MM offering a fairly highish output and give it a run on the new arm.

You're such a tease!

C;mon, c'mon! Out with it! Name it buddy! Now, even i'm waiting for your verdict with bated breath!:)

hehe! This is the reason why I got out of this 15 yrs back & am happy abt it. Contrary to your thinking, digital (the way I've done it) approach vinyl neck-to-neck and is very much there at par w/o the hassles! (anyway this is a controversial topic for discussion).

About your Cartridge, buddy, you don't want to spend yet you want the best from those LPs sitting in the garage. What do I say? Get a rugged low noise MM offering a fairly highish output and give it a run on the new arm.

BTW - if Shelter 501 is on your mind, then its an excellent choice. Do consider it.

For the second arm, I never intended it to host the "best" cartridges. For my current reference vinyl playback, I have the Clearaudio Accurate which, when I'm done with it, can either be retipped OR traded up to the Clearaudio Goldfinger V2 or the Airtight PC1 Supreme. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

For now, I just want a decent cartridge that tracks through hell and back. I'm considering the Shelter 501 MKII very strongly just because people are raving about its sound all the time. I've heard a Shelter 90x very extensively, along with the Shelter 7000. Those are fantastic cartridges and I feel the 501 will be in the same vein.

Last edited:
For the second arm, I never intended it to host the "best" cartridges. For my current reference vinyl playback, I have the Clearaudio Accurate which, when I'm done with it, can either be retipped OR traded up the the Clearaudio Goldfinger V2 or the Airtight PC1 Supreme. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

For now, I just want a decent cartridge that tracks through hell and back. I'm considering the Shelter 501 MKII very strongly just because people are raving about its sound all the time. I've heard a Shelter 90x very extensively, along with the Shelter 7000. Those are fantastic cartridges and I feel the 501 will be in the same vein.

I heard the Benz ACE as well as the Shelter, and like the Benz. Sounded a lot better to me. . . For a $300 cart, even the Rondo Red is a brilliant cart.

Though, was also wondering why you'd want to put another MC cart on the other arm...

Wouldn't you want a MM on the other one?

If yes, try the Clearaudio Aurum Classics. Deadly cart for the price.

man! don't you sleep? its post 2am out there..... :lol: or cartridge robbing your sleep off?

Alternatively, can look for something rugged in the under $400 class. How would that be? maybe Benz.

and as I say it, I see Malvai vote the same.....

Yeah man, Shaizada! Choose the Benz. And try and get atleast 30 of the 40 winks left to ya!

Hehe...It's 2:23am. I want some direction followed by closure soon. Honestly MM or MC doesn't matter to me for the second armwand. As long as it sounds different and sounds good, thats all that matters. I've heard almost all the top Clearuadio Cartridges, so now want something different. I have about 85% of the performance of the Goldfinger in my Accurate. So not too concerned there...

Arup, you vote for the Benz Ace as well? Lets see which has the best deal right now as well.

Honestly, as long as you don't abuse the cartridge, these things are pretty durable. Don't do anything silly, and they will last as long as their pre destined life is. If the record is clean looking with no obvious flaws like sticky stuff, mold, gauged vinyl areas then there is no problem. If there is an obvious flaw in the record, no point running the needle through it.

Man that VPI Classic with the Dynavector cart will be something to listen to. All my friend who have bought the VPI Classic are just so very happy with it. Seriously, that table competes with competitors in the $10k class. It would be a bargain at $5k. It is RIDICULOUS as $2.5k for JUST the table alone.

Hi Shaizada,
thanks for the kind words regarding VPI Classic. I personally haven't heard it since it is not available in Calcutta but I have read some reviews and asked few people who have heard it sounds ok. I don't believe that it can give serius competition to $10 K class otherwise it would be priced at that range. If it provides me the performence in its price range I am more than happy.:)This thread regarding cartridge is very good. Hoping to get to hear some names which can be researched later.
Thanks.

Hi Shaizada,
thanks for the kind words regarding VPI Classic. I personally haven't heard it since it is not available in Calcutta but I have read some reviews and asked few people who have heard it sounds ok. I don't believe that it can give serius competition to $10 K class otherwise it would be priced at that range. If it provides me the performence in its price range I am more than happy.:)This thread regarding cartridge is very good. Hoping to get to hear some names which can be researched later.
Thanks.

Sir, I have heard the Classic AND heard turntable rigs that are $10k and multiples of $10k as well for the record. The Classic is right up there in sound quality. It isn't priced in that range, thats just a blessing really.

For the performance I heard from this table, it SHOULD be priced in that range.

Finally, about the cartridge, a friend of mine is lending me an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B to evaluate and purchase if I like it (he moved on to a ZYX Airy 3 for stereo and a Lyra Dorian for mono). Here are some specs and a picture:

media.nl

Specifications:
Output voltage: 0.47mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz: < 1.5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz: > 25 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz: > 18 db
Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-50,000 Hz
Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz + 2.5 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 m
Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 12 m/mN
Stylus type: Nude FG 80 / Ruby cantilever
Stylus tip radius: r/R 5/80 m
Equivalent stylus tip mass: 0.27 mg
Tracking force range: 2.2-2.7 g (22-27 mN)
Tracking force, recommended: 2.5 g (25mN)
Tracking angle: 20
Internal impedance, DC resistance: 5 Ohm
Recommended load impedance: 50-200 Ohm
Cartridge body material: Stainless Steel
Cartridge color: Blue
Cartridge weight: 10gm

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back