Cartridge for Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

I am looking for Garrard 3000, Cartridge

it an old player an average one I think. Not sure how much worth to invest on new Cartridge, please suggest.

budget?
do you want to get a ceramic cart (correct vintage) or MM ( better sound)
do you want to play 78's or LP/45's ?

Most likely the other way round - body is common, stylus is different. Just a guess, but I think in line with older Ortofon product lines.

is this specific to ortofon/ 2m or applies to all carts? coz lots of firms sell cheaper stylus for good carts most pertinent example those being made for shure v15 III. i doubt someone would couple a cheap stylus with a great cart if stylus was responsible factor to too much extent. but good point to do some research

there are some things that you can do for a cart - like better tolerances, laminated pole pieces, potting the whole assembly in epoxy, rebodying the cart in a more solid or less resonant enclosure (these sort of tweaks are more common among the MC crowd)

but in the end the stylus is the thing. a Shure V 15 running a generic elliptical will be nowhere near a lowly shure M35 running a high end stylus like a SAS or better

IIRC, Ortofon's OM10/20/30/40 had common body but different stylii. So I guess 2M series (or part of the series) is similar.

The replacement stylus cost is typically 80% of the cartridge cost. Which is why getting the genuine article is so important,

Has anyone tried Nagaoka carts on Project Debut TT?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Did you get the 2M?
How did you manage to install it?

Do update. I am thinking of upgrading to 2M from OM10

no. You are going from one elliptical ortofon to another. Its more of a lateral shift (like going from a 2004 alto 800 to a 2016 alto 800. It's a newer model, but you are not getting a better class of cartridge. In my opinion, a better option is an OM 20 which gives you a nude diamond for slightly more. Its the equivalent of the 2004 alto 1.1. Older tech, but much better performance!

Last edited:
Gents,

I got the PLX1000 recently but the Grado black and the Shure M97xe that I had have channel imbalance issues to different degrees. I am looking for the AT95E. Is there a dealer in India for Audio Technica cartridges? What is the opinion of forum members regarding the Shure M44-7? I want to shake out my TT setup with a reliable cartridge before buying something better. This vinyl thing can get very expensive very quickly.

Back