Cartridges for Bollywood records and Indian Classical Music

navinsinha

I have recently got some NM records of old Bollywood songs and quite a few records of Noth Indian Classical Music, both vocal and instrumental. Currently I am using ADC ZLM on my AR XA turntable and Shure M55 on the Technics 1200. I could not find anything about suitable cart for Indian music, hence requesting our FMs to express their views in this regard please.

Navinsinha, the 4 carts out of 5 which you have is beautifully suited for our Indian Bollywood as well Indian classical music.
Don't know about ADC. However, all the carts you are owning are gems. You can't go for better one other than these carts.

Navinsinha, the 4 carts out of 5 which you have is beautifully suited for our Indian Bollywood as well Indian classical music.
Don't know about ADC. However, all the carts you are owning are gems. You can't go for better one other than these carts.
Hi Sunder, thanks! In order of preference (details) which would be the best and which one would be the second?

Hi Sunder, thanks! In order of preference (details) which would be the best and which one would be the second?

Nagaoka MP110 is the Unique one. Then Shure V15 III & Stanton 681EEE.
How do you do experiencing so far on these three carts? Did you try all
the carts on the same TT & the same phono stage? or on different TTs?
Please share your experience in detail and that will help us. Thanks.

I have Nagaoka MP 110,Shure M97Xe and AT440 MLB.
I like AT440 MLB then Nagaoka 110 and then Shure M97Xe.
There is vast difference in sound signature between AT440 and Nagaoka and shure.
The difference between Shure and Nagaoka is Subtle.
I use Schiit Mani,Lyrita Phono stage and NAD Phono pp3 as well as Phonostage integrated in my integrated amplifiers like Sansui AU555.JVC 990 Quadra etc.

I have Nagaoka MP 110,Shure M97Xe and AT440 MLB.
I like AT440 MLB then Nagaoka 110 and then Shure M97Xe.
There is vast difference in sound signature between AT440 and Nagaoka and shure.
The difference between Shure and Nagaoka is Subtle.
I use Schiit Mani,Lyrita Phono stage and NAD Phono pp3 as well as Phonostage integrated in my integrated amplifiers like Sansui AU555.JVC 990 Quadra etc.

Hi Doctor,
How is Schiit Mani compared to PP3(currently using). Is there a vast difference or should I go for a higher upgrade? I have read on some forums that the Mani is not well shielded well and picks up RF signals and gives a hum.

Nagaoka MP110 is the Unique one. Then Shure V15 III & Stanton 681EEE.
How do you do experiencing so far on these three carts? Did you try all
the carts on the same TT & the same phono stage? or on different TTs?
Please share your experience in detail and that will help us. Thanks.
As I said in my first post, I am using ADC ZLM on my AR XA and M55 on my Technics 1200 MK2. M55 because the records that I am playing now are not NM quality. I wanted FMs' opinion only because now I have got quite a few NM records. The Nagaoka, 681EEE and 97XE I have used only for testing purpose when I bought them. Let me try now with the NM records and I would report after some time. Thanks

Will these cartridges suitable for Philips 242 turntable? I currently use the Shure M44-7 since couple of years and I thought of changing it to Nagaoka MP110 looking at the reviews :)

Will these cartridges suitable for Philips 242 turntable? I currently use the Shure M44-7 since couple of years and I thought of changing it to Nagaoka MP110 looking at the reviews :)
It may be an overkill but let other FMs respond.

Yes after I posted Googled it and saw the price of Nagaoka MP110 and in comparison to my turntable :eek:

sounds a bit stupid in the context of this thread but Bollywood records sound very nice when played using an EEI CS2000 ceramic cart too, especially if you have a decent ceramic phonostage :)

I would look at a nagaoka mp150
Yes after I posted Googled it and saw the price of Nagaoka MP110 and in comparison to my turntable :eek:

Manniraj

I run an Akai AP D30 ( a very low priced TT ) with a pre-loved Nagaoka MP30 ( predecessor to MP300 )

The sound is excellent - to my ears.

The magic lies in the cart and phono combo assuming the TT is spinning reliably at the selected rpm - is my reasoning.

But ofcourse..... chromium plated silver coated titanium grade alumunium steel carbon fiber turntable might sound better :D

regards
mpw

sounds a bit stupid in the context of this thread but Bollywood records sound very nice when played using an EEI CS2000 ceramic cart too, especially if you have a decent ceramic phonostage :)
Hi Reuben, would it not damage the records?

I use Shure V15 type III with JICO for playing the NM records. Sounds so nice and very open. My everyday workhorse is M97Xe though owing to it's smoothness. I opt for M44-7 when ever listening to EP and SP records. I heard Stanton 500 at a FMs place and that is simply superb.

Thanks,
Sourav

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back