CD format to be abandoned by major labels by end of 2012

Highlights from the article:

It's a move that makes completely sense. CD's cost money, even when they don't sell because there is stock storage to be paid; a label also pays money to distributors when CDs get returned to the labels when not sold and so on. In short, abandoning the CD-format will make it possible to just focus on the release and the marketing of it and no longer focus on the distribution (since aggregators will do the work as far as dispatching the releases to services worldwide) and - expensive - stock maintenance. In the long run it will most surely mean the end for many music shops worldwide that only stock and sell CD releases. In the UK for instance HMV has problems paying the labels already and more will follow. It makes the distribution of CDs no longer worth it.

Also Amazon will benefit from this as it will surely become the one and only player when it comes to distribution of the remaining CD productions from labels. Packaged next to regular album downloads via its own Amazon MP3 service it will offer a complimentary service.

Cost cutting and more control in the hands of a few big players is the name of the game. Start bidding farewell to the friendly neighborhood music shop. If it still exists!

Will Amazon reduce or jack up prices of CD's?

How will they provide uncompressed music on line?
Even if they provide it, it will be easier for a heavy downloader but not for someone like me who just goes to music shop,buys a cd and enjoys it on the cdp.

Regarding the shop,they can continue some business for lazy people like me. If it is on line, i will still love a shop which downloads the music for me and burns a cd for me.

The future of Audio / Video will be online and that is without any doubt. The main problem is Internet penetration and Bandwidth limitation.

So Blu Ray and CD is here to stay untill each one of us get a real good Internet Connection in our Home......

will malls go away? will we be buying gadgets, music, content, clothes everything online? I doubt that. Both will exist for some more time to come. But it will definitely require retailers to buckle up rethink.

maybe music will come in micro SDs!!.. there has been too much of an evolution in music material formats unlike books... records, tapes, LDs, CDs, online content... there is more to come for sure..

Youre probably right, though I tend to agree with what Jagdish Khattar( at the time MD of Maruti) said about the Nano when it was introduced -"Only time will tell"!

So Blu Ray and CD is here to stay untill each one of us get a real good Internet Connection in our Home......

You must remember that only in India and other developing countries this is going to be an issue. Most first-world countries already have high speed internet access everywhere.

i think musicians should abandon the labels and sell their stuff directly to the consumers..

I would read the news differently.

The big labels hate the CD because it allows the user to make identical copies easily. Sony, when designing the SACD spec/license, made sure it is very difficult to rip one. You can't duplicate a vinyl either.

If anyone remembers, for some time Sony shipped CDs with a virus (rootkit) to prevent the user from making multiple copies.

I am making a wild guess, but this is probably a well orchestrated move by the big labels to regain control. It might be replaced by either an encrypted format like the SACD or DRM laden loss-less downloads, but the reason wont be cost.

Last edited:
You can't duplicate a vinyl either.
Do you remember when it used to say "Home taping is killing music" on the inner sleeve? Of course, they were wrong about that. The industry probably did more to kill music by re-issuing all those LPs on CD, without, in many cases, a cent of royalty to the artists (contracts paid royalties on the vinyl; they excluded, often, any future release on a different media).

How music has survived the record industry would appear to be the big mystery!

Now they have thought of a new way to cut their costs to the minimum, and, no doubt, will be working on that DRM (which will be cracked, of course).

Here's something else that We should worry about. Feeling an irrestistable urge for a certain piece of classical music, and finding my vinyl copy scratched to hell, the possibility of buying it on line occurred to me. I thought I'd start at the site of a European label well known for its classical selection, and yes, CD-quality downloads were available (at almost the same price as a CD), so, with tongue hanging out, and bank card in hand, I proceeded to the checkout.

Digital distribution is not available in your territory.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, like it or not, our country has a bad name for copyright abuse --- and the innocent have to suffer along with the guilty (who will be using proxy servers, etc, etc, so the company's stupid restriction won't even work).

This is going to be a real worry to serious music lovers in this and a number of other countries.

I got my music. Free. Yah-Boo-Sucks to you, Mr Record Label. I wanted to give you my money.

Well said Thad. I've faced the same thing as you...they don't want our money. They'd rather sell it locally so the dudes there make it available for "US" to get free online.

Regarding the demise of CD....nah ! doubt it. As long as the reissue donkey keeps getting proverbially flogged via reissues, re-masters, from-the-vaults, rare-archives etc etc....the format will go on.

Deserves them right I'd say. In the late eighties when the format came out, we rushed to get the new 'Holy Grail', only to find, it was an exact duplicate of the stupid tape copy in a smaller 'silver' format. A few years later some obscure Japanese label remasters and makes it available in "Japan only". This in-evitably meant it would be released to R.O.W after the contractually obligated 3 - 5 years and only then did we get a taste of what the remastered could sound like.

I think also that there is a great over-estimation of the actual reach of the internet, especially broadband internet.

People might assume a very high percentage of broadband connection in a country like UK, but that is very far from the truth. There are still large areas where it is not even technically possible to get a broadband connection. One family I know live less than 80km from London, and yet could not get broadband until very recently. Among those who can get it, I have heard that the market is more-or-less saturated with something like 30 or 40 percent of potential customers just not interested. When we sit in front of broadband internet, it is easy to imagine that the world, or at least the highly-developed world, does the same, but it is actually not at all the case for quite a lot of it.

Looking at the price label on one of my LPs, the other day, I felt a pang of pain that Steve's Cut-Price Records, a dingy little shop in a North-London market street had long-since ceased to exist. A somewhat more recent casualty, a 2nd-hand record shop, I was sad to find Reckless Records no longer existed, last time I went to look for it. The survival of small, independent businesses in London streets where rents have rocketed is one thing, but when one hears of huge HMV stores closing their doors, that is another, and their trade will be as much DVD, phones and games as music CDs.

Maybe the days of the CD are numbered --- but lets hope it is a fairly large number yet. I don't doubt that niche and minority interest music, including the ethnic classical and folk musics of the world, will continue to be available for quite some time.

the comment in that article is quite interesting.

Bought stuff. ..computer crashed...itunes has asked him to repurchase everything :-(

They will go away eventually but it will take some time. Atleast a decade or even more for all major labels to completely stop new releases in the cd format.

- There exists large percentage of the population who want new music but cannot figure out the internet and downloads.
- PC based audio is complicated for many folks
- Internet is still not available to all who want new music

Eventually there will be three types of releases.

Hi-rez digital costly and aimed at audiophiles. A specialty business

Lossy Mp3 of reasonable quality this will be the medium in which almost all music will be available. When the industry completely moves into downloads, some minimum standard will be established for the quality of the lossy digital files.

Vinyl - costly and aimed at audiophiles. A specialty business

The existing cd players will be replaced with simple machines which will connect to the internet, download the files and store them. Or they may play directly off some cloud ! They will have very simple and user friendly interfaces. Most audiophiles will be using such discrete machines which may have myriad variety of digital outputs which will connect to a DAC.

Recently i have visited a computer store located outskirt of city. It was a salary day and saw many contract workers buying 2.1 channel music systems priced between Rs 500-1200. To my surprise shopkeeper informed me that most of his profit is coming from this sale than computer.

Later part of discussion came to know that these people connect sytems to bulb holder (one bulb per tent is provided by contaractor) and use their mobile as source for music. Few of them have dedicated battery backup bought from Automobile shop. :)

There are few mobile service stores who fill songs in SD cards for Rs.25, most of these people have chinese made handset with bluetooth and they further share with others.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back