CD format to be abandoned by major labels by end of 2012

Im sure landmark has enough furniture to sell and will not run out of business anytime soon :p

I am more worried about the quality gear i am planning to buy only to listen to music in mp3. What if we do not get good quality of music in future? What do we do with all the hifi stuff?

How I wish I was born during the age of the vinyls!

No CDs does not mean only MP3. Digital downloads may be better than CD. Digital music of the future may include technological improvements that we don't even dream of today.

The two Landmark branches that I sometimes go to are, essentially, book/CD shops with some other departments. Actually, my purchases of books, stationery and toys are much more frequent than those of music, and. personally, it is the potential demise of the book that bothers me the most. I do enjoy physical shopping, but I don't mind downloading music --- whereas I'm just not interested in books in non-paper format, unless for obscure or technical matter where internet availability is a blessing.

They will go away eventually but it will take some time. Atleast a decade or even more for all major labels to completely stop new releases in the cd format.

- There exists large percentage of the population who want new music but cannot figure out the internet and downloads.
- PC based audio is complicated for many folks
- Internet is still not available to all who want new music

Eventually there will be three types of releases.

Hi-rez digital costly and aimed at audiophiles. A specialty business

Lossy Mp3 of reasonable quality this will be the medium in which almost all music will be available. When the industry completely moves into downloads, some minimum standard will be established for the quality of the lossy digital files.

Vinyl - costly and aimed at audiophiles. A specialty business

The existing cd players will be replaced with simple machines which will connect to the internet, download the files and store them. Or they may play directly off some cloud ! They will have very simple and user friendly interfaces. Most audiophiles will be using such discrete machines which may have myriad variety of digital outputs which will connect to a DAC.
This gentleman right here is a time traveller :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back