CD format to be abandoned by major labels by end of 2012

The new Diana Krall album, Glad rag doll, hasnt been released on CD in India :-(. Its only available as an mp3 download on flyte.

Available on the Linn store in 24/192. I'd rather buy that if I were you.

However the album does have very average reviews.

Digital downloads dont work for me till the date I pay for lossless formats.. why to pay for compressed music? Gimme lossless music and I wont touch a single pirated song. Availability with supreme quality at a price.. am game for it!

Again, I agree. I think that record companies will sell FLACS. The only time I tried to buy one, an expensive W. classical set, they told me that they didn't do business with people in India ("not in your territory."). I had no qualms, after that, in , err, getting it some other way. Screw them!

I buy live rock recordings from Wolfgang's vault. This is normally FLAC, and taken from the soundboard by the organisers. That is to not to say it is always perfect, but these are historical live recordings, not engineered albums, and they are usually pretty good.

Again, if it is history, MP3 may be better than nothing, in the same way that a bad cassette may be better than nothing, but probably this will be something we are not paying for.

Last edited:
"virtual" might not be the right word for it, because that collection of bits and bytes on your hard disk, assuming it is an ordinary WAV, FLAC, OGG, or even MP3 without any form of DRM (Digital Rights Management) is physically yours as much as a CD or LP is.

That's until the HDD crashes and you realise that you've not got any backups. :p

The other aspect to the music thing is... they sold me the LP; then they got the same money, or more, out of me for the CD; I am not paying the record companies yet again for the same thing.

:clapping:

+1 Same here, same here.

Speaking of ironies, I received this, this morning from Flipkart by email:

Thank you for being a loyal Flipkart.com customer over the years. As a token of our appreciation, this Christmas season we have added Rs. 200 worth of free credits to your Flyte Wallet.

These credits can be used to buy your favourite MP3 music. This is a limited time offer and your free credits will expire on December 31st 2012.

:lol:

DISCLOSURE: I've never bought anything from Flyte.

Last edited:
Same here! I also got the same message. I've never put a dime in flyte. However have bought lots of stuff from flipkart over the last year.

Heck... I've spent nearly fifty thousand with Flipkart, and I didn't get a mail :mad: --- or maybe it got deleted as spam. :rolleyes:

Log onto Flipkart, then click on the "wallet" link, if you've received the offer, this will show up:

Flyte balance : Rs. 200
Valid for purchases on the Flyte Digital
Store

Click on the "Buy MP3 Music" button to use the credits, if you've got 'em. :)

Last edited:
The upside could be we can get a lot of discounted CDs of yesteryears which remain unsold, so that we can increase our cd collection enough to last our life time , but i dont see that happening immediately or for the next few years.

^^ Sony CDs have been on 30% discount at Reliance Time Out for the last month. I think they still are, till stock runs out. I bought quite a few, enough to prompt me to get a CDP too. The ostensible reason for the discount is that it is the xth anniversary (don't remember how many years). But we do know the real reason.

Nonsense. I abandoned vinyl decades ago and won't ever go back. It does not come close to the CD, and CDs will be around for a long long time.

CD format is not likely to be discontinued in the near future at least for new releases and multi-platinum sellers. However, reissues of older recordings are not being made available freely as in the recent past - one may notice this fact while browsing thru online websites and in local music stores. However, in India, few of the old imported CDs (reissues) are still available in music stores/online websites at discounted prices - if one is lucky enough one may find limited edition/anniversary edition/box-sets at very reasonable prices. These music are selling for a bomb abroad. Even one is not a fan of that particular music or a collector, it would be a smart move to buy these CDs and use it for exchange/trading in equipment purposes in future.

^^ Sony CDs have been on 30% discount at Reliance Time Out for the last month. I think they still are, till stock runs out. I bought quite a few, enough to prompt me to get a CDP too. The ostensible reason for the discount is that it is the xth anniversary (don't remember how many years). But we do know the real reason.

Sony does this once or twice every year (holiday/ year end discount?). Discount is available at both online and physical stores.

;
Youre probably right, though I tend to agree with what Jagdish Khattar( at the time MD of Maruti) said about the Nano when it was introduced -"Only time will tell"!

It's like comedians climate prediction. 'maybe, sometimes, may or may not, sometimes it may'. What is significant in this Khattar comment? Instead of words of a person who tends to avoid the tyranny of real analysis of the fate of cars.

More gloomy news: the Planet M outlet at Shoppers Stop in Andheri West (Mumbai) which used to occupy huge floor space is now closed. Also, the standalone shop in JP Road near the Sports Complex has made way for a shiny new Philips Lighting shop (not that they used to stock much music in the first place).

Even more gloomy news: Landmark is cutting down on music CDs across all stores.

PS: if the future is digital downloads, why are we not seeing corresponding action in this space for Indian music buyers?

There is a lot of action in this space. Flipkart is one such place where you can get digital downloads and also iTunes India store. I was looking for Coke Studio Pakistan(even tried contacting the Pakistan branch of my office) all over and once the iTunes store launched I got it from there.
So the action is slowly hotting up here. It should be in full steam this year since we already took baby steps last year.

As a kid I used to boast I had over 500 tapes and now I can boast I have over 1000 CDs... but frankly I'm the only one boasting and listening. The world has moved on to mp3s and the iTunes variant and iPods/mobile phones.

musicbee, a lot of us here are listening and boasting. Keep the flag flying bro.

Im sure landmark has enough furniture to sell and will not run out of business anytime soon :p

I am more worried about the quality gear i am planning to buy only to listen to music in mp3. What if we do not get good quality of music in future? What do we do with all the hifi stuff?

How I wish I was born during the age of the vinyls!

If Landmark gives up selling books and CDs, what are they going to do? Become a furniture shop? It's all a bit weird.

LoL

I like to think the report of the imminent demise of the compact disc is highly exaggerated.

Mumbai folks have it good - we have Rhythm House - and it is as crowded as ever and it is no less well stocked with compact discs than it was a year ago. Hopefully it will continue to have the crowd, and the music that they buy.

PS: another fairly well-stocked music shop is Satyam Collections (behind Eros cinema in Churchgate - it is better known as a greeting cards shop).

PPS: Planet M in Hakone (?), Hiranandani Gardens in Powai remains a beacon of hope as well.

PPPS: is there any other music shop in Mumbai that one ought to know/visit? (besides Landmark at Infiniti Andheri, Reliance Time Out at Infiniti Malad and Crossword Turner Road, Bandra)???

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back