CD Jewel cases

I had bought empty cases for Rs.18/- each from a vendor in S.P Road Bangalore. He agreed to give me the empty case of SONY DVD (case with dvd was around 32/-), he took the DVD from the case for sale separately. I had bought around 70 such cases. If you are ready to pay ~20/- per case you could talk to someone selling CD/DVD in your area.

Hassan.

Buying slim cd jewel boxes is a waste for audio. Avoid it. I purchased many and regretting it as they cant hold the original cd covers. You have to write the artist and cd details on the single sheet sleeve with a sketch pen and you may have to purchase them separately. And you will nor get the original look and feel of a foreign pressing media with its high quality covers.

G0bble

Buying slim cd jewel boxes is a waste for audio. Avoid it. I purchased many and regretting it as they cant hold the original cd covers. You have to write the artist and cd details on the single sheet sleeve with a sketch pen and you may have to purchase them separately. And you will nor get the original look and feel of a foreign pressing media with its high quality covers.

G0bble

Few thing I would like to add on to the above post & others.
- I got almost 100 jewel case from SP Road (Bangalore) - 18/pop.
- I have been using jewel cases mfg in India & till date my CDs have been doing fine & and quality is quite good.

Sourav da, thanks for reviving this thread.

I am also searching for good quality jewel cases. Have to replace a lot of cases. But this sweating thing, I am hearing for the first time. If it is due to humidity, I would suggest to keep some silical gel sachets specially in the rainy season where CDs are stored.

I wonder why our Indian CD manufacturers including Universal and Sony DADC are providing such horrible quality CD cases? If they increase the price of the CDs just by Rs 10, I am sure they can easily provide the older EMI quality cases.

On the other hand when I see or handle my English imported CDs, they are sturdier, heavier, thicker and really makes you happy handling them.

Right now I have a Metallica Black album CD in my hand by Vertigo and oh boy, it feels so good !

CD 'sweating' occurs due to condensation inside the CD jewel cases and does not depend on the country they are purchased from or the quality of the case. I have seen droplets of water forming in Indian jewel cases as well as in super-expensive imported CD cases.
When I used to live in a coastal city, I had used self-indicating (blue to transparent) Silica gel crystals in a large airtight cabinet working as a desiccator. I had used this cabinet for storing my photography equipment and some of the expensive CDs. Small pouches of silica gel as found in new bottles or flasks are useless.

One damaging thing to CDs is the body oil from finger prints. In some of my very old CDs, I can see these finger-prints turning transparent, apparently eating away the coated label especially around the central hole. Though I have heard to audible effects even in the worst affected CD.

For empty cases - I buy single packs of DVD-R which comes with cases. I use these DVD-Rs for data backup and store them in a cake box or an album and use the empty jewel cases for music CDs.

What's wrong with digital music?

Well, apart, maybe, from some early teething troubles, nothing! But the packaging? Yuck!

The whole utterly inferior tactile and visual sensation of handling CDs just stinks against that of an LP. And what is an LP cover? Just a printed piece of card. Are LP covers perfect? Certainly not. Carefully inserting a favourite LP in the inner sleeve, only to see it falling out the other side because the paper has given way along the fold; LP covers held together by glue and sellotape, because they usually come apart at the seams... hee hee, far from perfect... But the artwork was good, usually well printed at a size that could be appreciated, often loved. Second-hand albums with scrawled names and even fragments of poetry.

And what did they do when they had reduced this rich, emotional experience to that silly small circle? They enclosed it all in pieces of cheap, brittle plastic. And called it a jewel case.

I am so glad that digital music now tends to be on hard disks, because even clicking a file name with a mouse beats the experience of handling CDs and their cases hands down.

Some may be slightly better than others, but all CD cases are horrible. Nasty. Uninspiring. They suck. Big time!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, most of the slim cases I have picked up are prone to opening on their own at the slightest movement. The CD then slides out and can get damaged.

'The' sweating will occurred mostly on black plastics of jewel cases and not on clear plastics. 'That' sweat water drops will ruin the cd surface. I experienced a lot. After replaced with clear plastic part there would be no more sweating. T Series, AIR, Bay Shore- CD jewel boxes mostly have the Black colour middle part and they will make that 'sweating' nuisance.

Last edited:
The sweating typically happens with black plastic. I have not yet seen it happen with CD cases that are transparent on both sides. Has anybody had this problem with completely transparent cases ?

i finally sourced completely transparent audio cd jewel case from a dealer in delhi.

i sourced some 300, but now feel it;s overkill. i just need 150-200.

if anyone wants 100 odd cd cases, do let me know.

A friend has couple of blank CD Jewel Cases extra for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 61
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 58
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 52
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back