CD player direct to power amp ?

heliumflight

Hi Folks,

A got a funny itch, in fact for audiophiles it was a blessing in disguise as it saves money for the first time. Not sure if it right or wrong but it does sounds great!

In the good old days, it was a good idea to have separate preamplifier and power amplifier so that a tiny electrical signal of the record player could be amplified magnanimously. So what's the big deal now? So I recently connected my Cdp with my Power amp (CA 640c V2 + Luxman M-06a). I know there are 2 school of thoughts around this topic but I'll share my real experience with you and maybe others can vouch if they are also using CD player direct to power amp. BTW my power amp has an attenuator control for L R channel.

Getting to the sound you will be amazed how much more transparent and clean it sounds. I will never have an preamp in my system ever again. The power amp has more grunt and it is evident by the way it controls the drivers of the speakers.

--
helium
CA 640c V2 + Luxman M-06a + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE / Vintage B&W DM4

For last 6 years or so I have always connected CDP direct to the power amp.

Integrated or pre+power route is better if the pre is doing something meaningful to the chain. Most sub grand pre actually harm the sounds than improve it.

So there you go. To pre or not to pre, listen and decide.

Integrated or pre+power route is better if the pre is doing something meaningful to the chain. Most sub grand pre actually harm the sounds than improve it.

Thanks for sharing. So, I do have more people in the band wagon taking this route.

None. :p

--
helium
CA 640c V2 + Luxman M-06a + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE / Vintage B&W DM4

OK, practical joke over, now you can name the pre amp :lol:

And don't give me the same answer as you were using a pre before to make out difference that you say you hear NOW :eek:hyeah:

If you do not want to name the 'offender' you may PM me the same :cool:

I have tried this earlier and it sounded as though something was terribly wrong. Dull lifeless like listening to a radio. Volume also did not cross very low levels.

The power amp was NAD 2400 with separate level controls for left and right channels.

Basic question... how are people controlling the volume?

I'm aware that many CD players do actually have a volume control; my previous even had a headphone socket. This control is going to be digital. The practical reality of oh-my-god-digital-volume-chops-off-bits is that modest reduction is absolutely fine --- but if your CD Player has a higher-than-usual "line-level" output (apparently there is quite a wide margin), and your amplifier is powerful, then that volume control is going to have to come down quite a long way.

+1 Sir !! Thats the way to go ! One can also use DAC ---> Power Amp also ;) Make sure the output signal is high enough or you won't hear anything. or just too less !

+1 Sir !! Thats the way to go ! One can also use DAC ---> Power Amp also ;)

Not can, it's very much doable. I have done that, too.

When the chain is DAC --> Power amp, it is implied that there is a transport. Otherwise there will be no sound at all ;)

Besides, most people using the DAC route, use a computer based transport, in which case the computer serves as the volume control.

If using a CDP or a dedicated transport (let's take the hypothetical scenario), make sure either the transport has variable out or the amp has variable gain. Both are alternates to a volume pot.

>> Make sure the output signal is high enough or you won't hear anything. or just too less ! <<

Most DACs except absolutely entry level output high enough for any power amp. Most power amps have enough gain to produce unbearably loud SPLs into any speakers of reasonable sensitivity fed a industry-standard 2v signal. With any decent power amp and any decent DAC the phenomena of not hearing anything or just too less is unlikely. If with any combination of a DAC direct into power amp the sound is too less or there is no sound, either the DAC or the power amp or the transport has a problem or the speakers are very low sensitivity. Or there is something wrong otherwise.

Not can, it's very much doable. I have done that, too.

When the chain is DAC --> Power amp, it is implied that there is a transport. Otherwise there will be no sound at all ;)

Besides, most people using the DAC route, use a computer based transport, in which case the computer serves as the volume control.

If using a CDP or a dedicated transport (let's take the hypothetical scenario), make sure either the transport has variable out or the amp has variable gain. Both are alternates to a volume pot.

>> Make sure the output signal is high enough or you won't hear anything. or just too less ! <<

Most DACs except absolutely entry level output high enough for any power amp. Most power amps have enough gain to produce unbearably loud SPLs into any speakers of reasonable sensitivity fed a industry-standard 2v signal. With any decent power amp and any decent DAC the phenomena of not hearing anything or just too less is unlikely. If with any combination of a DAC direct into power amp the sound is too less or there is no sound, either the DAC or the power amp or the transport has a problem or the speakers are very low sensitivity. Or there is something wrong otherwise.

What else could be wrong and how much sensitivity do you consider as being low ?

Thank you.

Basic question... how are people controlling the volume?

I'm aware that many CD players do actually have a volume control; my previous even had a headphone socket. This control is going to be digital. The practical reality of oh-my-god-digital-volume-chops-off-bits is that modest reduction is absolutely fine --- but if your CD Player has a higher-than-usual "line-level" output (apparently there is quite a wide margin), and your amplifier is powerful, then that volume control is going to have to come down quite a long way.

Very pertinent question.

The Luxman has an input attenuator - can be used for volume control. Below is the spec.
"Input level adjustment 50kohm fixed-resistance switching type 12-point Attenuator (Coaxial)"

What else could be wrong and how much sensitivity do you consider as being low ?

Thank you.

Probably a wire running wrong. e.g. You hooked the transport to the input A on the DAC but you have selected input B.

>> how much sensitivity do you consider as being low ? <<

Speakers rated 85dB and below will considered low sensitivity. Usual figure is 89-91.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back