CD player or ext. DA-converter?

I wonder what happened to the group order a lot of people were interested in? Any merit in reviving the idea? A senior amongst us can negotiate with Stanley, who showed keen interest in this thread.... then disappeared.
I am a hard working guy and don't have the pleasure of logging onto every forum I am a member of whenever I want to. When one is the boss of a company, that brings with it a lot of responsibilities.

The delivery prices have been decided upon in another thread and once everyone has decided I shall soon put up a special ordering page for Hifivision members. It is important to note that the page is only for genuine members residing in India to order from!!! Anyone who is not a member and not living in India is going to get their money refunded.

Stan

Can 7520 work/output same performance with WMA/FLAC as CDs bcose they are lossless formats?SQ?

mb_accessory_audio_spdif_11.jpg

I think it should - reason being the flac/ wav will be decoded into pcm stream in the same way by your soft player as a CD and passed on to the DAC. The digital signal should be same - 16 bit 44.1 kHz

But Stan or others can confirm this.

regards

Can 7520 work/output same performance with WMA/FLAC as CDs bcose they are lossless formats?SQ?

Spiro said:

I think it should - reason being the flac/ wav will be decoded into pcm stream in the same way by your soft player as a CD and passed on to the DAC. The digital signal should be same - 16 bit 44.1 kHz

There are a number of unknowns here.

1. What software you have used for ripping
2. Quality of the CD that you used for ripping
3. Quality of the CD Player you use for playing

Let us assume the following:

1. That you have used EAC with a CD Player approved by EAC. and it has confirmed 100% success in ripping.
2. You use the same amp and speakers for both PC and CDP based systems.
3. You use a decent CD Player for playing the same CD.

Given these circumstances, as I have mentioned elsewhere, the WAV/FLAC file may actually sound better than the CD. By the way, WMA has multiple formats. Be sure use to use 'WMA Lossless'. It will be better to use WAV of FLAC formats as they have wider support.

Cheers

I use MP9 for ripping CD to WMA. Which is better soft to rip CD in WMA format?

EAC is the best out there. It has support for both lossy and lossless WMA. Setting it up is a little complicated, but there are threads here that will instruct you as to how to set it up.

Cheers

I use MP9 for ripping CD to WMA.
Which is better soft to rip CD in WMA format?

Lots of s/w available for ripping. Even Winamp does a good job. But EAC is the best and it's free too. Stay away from WMP and anything Windows except for the OS.

If you are using lossless formats, it does not matter much which one you choose. Especially because most of the players play all of them and the data is inter-convertible. For example, if you have an iPhone or other Apple devices you might want to go for Apple lossless format. Anyway, iTunes can convert WMA Lossless to Apple Lossless whenever you want.

So the format choice, between the various 44.1/16bit lossless formats available, is more a matter of convenience than quality of sound.

Thanks,
Sharad

EAC is the best out there. It has support for both lossy and lossless WMA. Setting it up is a little complicated, but there are threads here that will instruct you as to how to set it up.

Cheers

EAC cant rip to WMA,but WAV(I checked on 0.99 version)
Now what?:sad:

EAC 0.99 does rip to WMA lossless.
You need to download and install the 'Windows Media Encoder 9' separately. EAC always rips as wav and then spawns a separate process on command-line for encoding.
Just run the 'Configuration Wizard' from the EAC main menu. It will help you setup every thing.

Thanks,
Sharad

Last edited:
To continue what Sharad has said, here is the screen in the configuration option where you can choose WMA lossless and WMA lossy formats.

Cheers

did anyone figure out how Cplay can play more than one song in a list.
im a noob and currently i gotta load each song in cplay seperately after the completeion of each song:mad:

did anyone figure out how Cplay can play more than one song in a list.
im a noob and currently i gotta load each song in cplay seperately after the completeion of each song:mad:

Yes, and I've shared about it on this thread at http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/3703-music-pc-ca-dacmagic-5.html and read from post 41 onwards. Just need Foobar2000 and Cuesheet Creator for Foobar2000. You can create cuesheets for each album and its just like playing an entire album on the CD. Just load a new cuesheet instead of changing the CD for the next album.

right now no setup as yet
im expecting a NAD 325 soon and PSB image series speakers mid nextmonth
right now im playing off a SONY vaio laptop with a realtek onboard soundcard.

SQ of Cplay
i have only started using it a few weeks ago.
its more detailed than WMP however the asio driver with foobar also gives good SQ

im not sure still what to call the Cplay output
frankly on my laptop i dont hear much difference between foobar and cplay
(my lappie doesnt have a Xonar STX you see :D )
the only grouch i have about c play is the interface and lack of flexibility

Actually I've found both XMPlay and Foobar to be very good with the Kernel Streaming plugin and the ASIO plugin. cPlay I've found to be better because it plays right off memory. It's difficult to put it into words (but if I may) the sound coming from cPlay is "cleaner" than compared to the others.

right now no setup as yet
im expecting a NAD 325 soon and PSB image series speakers mid nextmonth
right now im playing off a SONY vaio laptop with a realtek onboard soundcard.

SQ of Cplay
i have only started using it a few weeks ago.
its more detailed than WMP however the asio driver with foobar also gives good SQ

im not sure still what to call the Cplay output
frankly on my laptop i dont hear much difference between foobar and cplay
(my lappie doesnt have a Xonar STX you see :D )
the only grouch i have about c play is the interface and lack of flexibility

Back