CD player or ext. DA-converter?

can someoneshed some light on this
the gigabyte ga-ma78gm-s2h MOB website as below
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)
states in its specifications(audio section) that it has SPDIF/optical SUPPORT
what does it mean?
does the MOB come with an optical out or not?

"the word support generally means the MOB supports it but is notincluded
however the confusion isthere because on the same page when you enlarge the picture of the MOB you can see the optical out put jack

so what is it
does this MOB come with the opticalout or NOT?

you can also refer here
Pg no.85 of the manual says SPDIF cable is OPTIONAL
http://asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ma78gm-s2h_e.pdf

this adds more confusionbecause now theres notonly andopticaloutbut also digital outs

the info doesnot tally with the enlarged pic

can any user of the board shed some light

dude this board has optical out. Also has a coaxial out I think - the asus m3n78 i guess has both BTW. Have studied both these chipsets closely so can tell you lots about them.

Opt for the Asus M3n78EM (if you want a HTPC and have a capable receiver) with the nvidia 8300 chipset. Unlike the Giga it outputs 7.1 LPCM through HDMI - the giga does 2 channel LPCM. The Intel boards too do 7.1 channel LPCM.

Also if you do decide on the board get the rev 2.0 - rev 1.0 has some heating problems with the northbridge.

magma - there is no confusion.
Computer needs a sound card to send signals to.
Those digital outs from MOBO are from an on-board sound card, which means, there is a sound card bundled with the mobo in the same circuit. This is not a USB sound card.
USB is a different connection path used to connect devices to computer. So if you connect a DAC through USB - the computer recognizes it as a sound card. So in this case, if you use this mobo, there will be two sound cards on your comp if you attach DAC via USB. Then you can choose which device you want to use for playback.
But this DAC has digital inputs also - which means it can work with devices like cdp as well.
So the other connectivity option is - use your on board sound card. The onboard sound card can output analog - to connect with pre/ pro or integrated amp, OR, digital outs, to connect to AVR. AVRs have multiple devices built inside the chasis - one of which is DAC. Imagine pulling out this DAC from AVR. So you can connect the digital outs of your mobo (not of mobo, in fact the digital outs of on board sound card)

So when connected via USB, DAC is ALSO a sound card.
When connected via digital out, DAC is just a DAC, and the on-board sound card is used as a sound card.

regards

thanks buddy. I wasn't aware of that!
I am already pretty torn on using an external DAC or just a sound card with digital outs - as I have a receiver - so in build dac of receiver (24/96) should be better than DAC analog to receiver.
I do not have a pre/ power stereo setup, yet! This dac is more "audiophile" than utility. It would also not be able to decode dolby digital/ dts even if your dvdp, computer sends such a signal. I hope those who want to buy are aware, and are using it only to augment either the DAC of a cheaper CDP, or of their sound card.

regards

@anm: Hope you are aware there is no RC for Beresford 7520. This means that your Harmony cannot set up any activity using this device.

Last edited:
what does it mean?

however the confusion isthere because on the same page when you enlarge the picture of the MOB you can see the optical out put jack

so what is it

you can also refer here
http://asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ma78gm-s2h_e.pdf

this adds more confusionbecause now theres notonly andopticaloutbut also digital outs

Onboard there is only optical S/PDIF out. if you want additional ios (digital coaxial), you need that optional connector.

~dich

thanks you all for the clarifications

i was trying to decide if the dac was a good investment even if i wanted to move to an HTPC in the future.
i think it is for the following reasons ( if ive understood correctly)

currently i want to use this dac with a dvdp and a WDTV

now in the future i might want to move to a dedicated HTPC.
now here most buy an expensive (8k) and above Xonar soundcard and connect it to their wo channel amplifier

i thought to myself then the DAC investment is a waste.
However if ive understood correctly i can very well buy the gigabyte MOB , NOT buy any expensive soundcard.
Instead just use the optical out of the MOB and give it to my DAC

Basically replacing the XONAR with the Beresford DAC.
(so no loss of money 8k Xonar = 8k beresford )

P.S yes maybe the Xonar would be marginally better but im ok with "marginally"

That too all of the above can be done without the use of usb and hence even the 7510 DAC would suffice!

Does the above assumption make sense??

thanks you all for the clarifications

i was trying to decide if the dac was a good investment even if i wanted to move to an HTPC in the future.
i think it is for the following reasons ( if ive understood correctly)

currently i want to use this dac with a dvdp and a WDTV

now in the future i might want to move to a dedicated HTPC.
now here most buy an expensive (8k) and above Xonar soundcard and connect it to their wo channel amplifier

i thought to myself then the DAC investment is a waste.
However if ive understood correctly i can very well buy the gigabyte MOB , NOT buy any expensive soundcard.
Instead just use the optical out of the MOB and give it to my DAC

Basically replacing the XONAR with the Beresford DAC.
(so no loss of money 8k Xonar = 8k beresford )

P.S yes maybe the Xonar would be marginally better but im ok with "marginally"

That too all of the above can be done without the use of usb and hence even the 7510 DAC would suffice!

Does the above assumption make sense??
Yes your assumption is correct. You can just send the optical out from your mobo to 7510.
Question for you: Do you already have a mobo with optical out?
If not, I would recommend you pick up 7520. Here's why:
- 7520 has USB as well as optical in (you already know that)
- Every mobo has USB ports, not all have optical out. In future when you want to buy a mobo, this should not limit your choices.
- There is a group buy going on in this forum which should make the 7520 price dangerously close to 7510

~dich

@magma - Your reasoning is correct. In fact you can just buy any soundcard with digital out for Rs. 1000 and do the same if the MOBO's onboard soundcard does not have digital outs (but all of MOBO's and soundcards do come with digital outs these days).

Now coming to performance. I've heard both the Beresford and the Asus Xonar Essence STX on my PC with all things remaining the same and the difference is more than marginal. SQ with the Asus is really better than with the Beresford.

with this dac, flexibility is the main thing you will get. You can connect dvdp, airport express, wdtv etc with DAC as well, besides connecting directly to a comp.

I am not yet sure about any sound card that can take inputs from external devices.

with this dac, flexibility is the main thing you will get. You can connect dvdp, airport express, wdtv etc with DAC as well, besides connecting directly to a comp.

I am not yet sure about any sound card that can take inputs from external devices.

That is correct. Just cautioning against expecting audiophile grade music, that's all. While it does improve SQ quite a good bit (in fact even my MP3s sounded good) it cannot take the place of a dedicated CDP, or a very good soundcard on a PC both of which still deliver the best SQ.

@magma - While it would do better/good (subjective) with the WDTV because of its digital out, I'm not too sure it will be that good with the DVDP even with
a digital out. Transport will be most important and you just cannot beat a CDP and even more so a HDD based system for this.

That is correct. Just cautioning against expecting audiophile grade music, that's all. While it does improve SQ quite a good bit (in fact even my MP3s sounded good) it cannot take the place of a dedicated CDP, or a very good soundcard on a PC both of which still deliver the best SQ.

Which is why I dropped the idea of getting a Beresford :D

I plan to pick an Nvidia Ion with Atom 330, plug in a Xonar, and rip selected audio CD's or songs in 24/192 format for "heightened listening pleasure" :licklips: :rolleyes:

Now I am also going to experiment with transcoding my 16/44.1 music into 24/192 using ffmpeg and check the SQ - if it works nothing like it!! :)

Cheers

Which is why I dropped the idea of getting a Beresford :D

I plan to pick an Nvidia Ion with Atom 330, plug in a Xonar, and rip selected audio CD's or songs in 24/192 format for "heightened listening pleasure" :licklips: :rolleyes:

Now I am also going to experiment with transcoding my 16/44.1 music into 24/192 using ffmpeg and check the SQ - if it works nothing like it!! :)

Cheers

You know gobble I've tried all that. I think you're still assembling your PC right? If you can do try cPlay. The reason I'm saying this is cause there are lots of plugins and s/w that will resample to 192,000 Hz. I've tried all kinds of media players, and some of the very best re-samplers but right now cPlay at 44,100 Hz (CD Quality) beats Winamp to Foobar2000 resampling at 192,000 Hz (DVD Audio Quality). That's how good the sound on my PC is right now. Of course this is with Asus Essence STX and cPlay but even Foobar2000, Winamp and everything else I've tried don't sound even close to cPlay even with the Asus soundcard. Give cPlay a trial run and I'll assure you that you'll not look back.

PS - I'm listening to Mohd. Rafi right now and he never sounded so gooooooooooooooooood!!! It's making me want to croon Nazar Na Lag Jaaye to my wife...

I am waiting for ion to become available. My current PC is in living room while audio setup is in my bedroom so cant connect or play from pc to amp,,, :(

I will certainly try it out once I setup the 2nd device. :licklips:

Cheers

moserw
sir as you said i know the combo of DVDP and a beresford would not sound as good as a dedicated CDP

however im pretty sure a HDD+WDTV+beresford would beat a budget CDP
i figure a budget CDP costs 15k and if in 15-16k i can get the above option would that not be better ?

moserw
sir as you said i know the combo of DVDP and a beresford would not sound as good as a dedicated CDP

however im pretty sure a HDD+WDTV+beresford would beat a budget CDP
i figure a budget CDP costs 15k and if in 15-16k i can get the above option would that not be better ?

Yes it will. Good CDPs will cost a bomb. They will only do one thing i.e. play Audio CDs and do that very, very well. This is a much better option, go ahead with it.

And magma bhai, please don't call me sir. I'm only 18 till I die...

what does it mean?

so what is it

you can also refer here

Well, magma, I have this board. It has coaxial out - that I can confirm. I dont see any optical out on it though.

However I do not get the point of your question. If you are anyway going to buy an external soundcard then you would get the digital outs from there. Again, however, why would you go for a Rs. 1000 card when a coaxial out is available on this motherboard itself?

You can straightaway connect your Beresford through the SPDIF out here. And the coaxial is actually thought of as a better way to connect as far as musicality goes.

Well, magma, I have this board. It has coaxial out - that I can confirm. I dont see any optical out on it though.

However I do not get the point of your question. If you are anyway going to buy an external soundcard then you would get the digital outs from there. Again, however, why would you go for a Rs. 1000 card when a coaxial out is available on this motherboard itself?

You can straightaway connect your Beresford through the SPDIF out here. And the coaxial is actually thought of as a better way to connect as far as musicality goes.

sir
im NOT going to buy any external soundcard(where did you read that)
im gonna do exactly what you proposed
use the digital/optical out that the mob provides

It has optical out at the back panel and coaxial pins for spdif out on the board (either a diy or a coaxial adapter can be used). I am having this board ver2.0 and i am using the optical out to my avr.

sir
im NOT going to buy any external soundcard(where did you read that)
im gonna do exactly what you proposed
use the digital/optical out that the mob provides

Magma - just vortex is fine:)

I thought I saw a post which recommended getting another sound card. But its nice that you are using the mobo's feature there. All the very best.

It has optical out at the back panel and coaxial pins for spdif out on the board (either a diy or a coaxial adapter can be used). I am having this board ver2.0 and i am using the optical out to my avr.

I dont know what version this board is but I dont see an optical out anywhere.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back