CD player or ext. DA-converter?

yes, it is a USB DAC! It will connect to your computer on a USB port - and not to USB drives.

regards

and you mean to say that this usb port willcarry the song that i select to the usb?
and How do i select the folder whose songs i want the beresford to use/play

can someone confirm on this?
ihavent read about this in any thread.

and you mean to say that this usb port willcarry the song that i select to the usb?
and How do i select the folder whose songs i want the beresford to use/play

can someone confirm on this?
ihavent read about this in any thread.

@magma - If you are playing music off the laptop then the s/w (media player) being used will do it. It will output the sound to the DAC/external soundcard via USB. In the media player you'll have to select which soundcard you want to output via i.e. in this case you'll choose either the Beresford DAC or the external soundcard which will then be connected to the AVR/Stereo Amp etc.

As already answered by mo-sir! (moser) it is just like another sound card for you. You do not need new comp, new sound card, new media player nothing. This DAC goes into the USB of a computer and acts as a device.
I am myself looking to buy this as this brings lot of flexibility to the table (table? ok - let's call it audiophile rack) :) . You can connect with PC, you can connect with budget dvdp (you can always buy the most expensive one later, but no one is going to hang you for trying this).
If you go the hi-fi route, most integrated amps/ pre-amps would not have dac. So you need one somewhere in the chain.

I don't need it most urgently as I use my AVR's DAC/pre/ power amp to play music from my philips dvdp. Yes I know, I have sinned.

regards

MO-SIR
and anm sir

ive been a dum dum

i didnt know i could do the above! install the DAC as a soundcard via the USB!
(see i know nnothing about computers. except check my email and browse through the net. im quite the oldie )

why was i breaking my head about the optical and RCA outputs.
MO-SIR - all your fault for not explaining this right in the beggining! ( just kidding)

Back to begining
Issue started with low end dvd & Dac
Now low end DVD is not good transport too
so why not search for a good used CD with digital out ---
in fact you ca get one for 2-5 K

Hemant

@magma - If you are playing music off the laptop then the s/w (media player) being used will do it. It will output the sound to the DAC/external soundcard via USB. In the media player you'll have to select which soundcard you want to output via i.e. in this case you'll choose either the Beresford DAC or the external soundcard which will then be connected to the AVR/Stereo Amp etc.

does this requires a driver? Or is it known to work out of the box on Windows? Linux/Ubuntu?

TIA

does this requires a driver? Or is it known to work out of the box on Windows? Linux/Ubuntu?

TIA

I don't think so. It should work right out of the box. For all practical purposes the DAC is akin to an AVR that you would output digital or analog from the soundcard and no drivers are required for such connections to an AVR. The only issues I had were with ground loop hum and mild electric shock at times. Of course the earthing was at fault and fixed, but that still did not take away the hum for me at least.

hemant, he is contemplating using pc as a transport.
This DAC should connect directly to USB port of a computer, and be detected. I read in some forum post that it gets auto detected in linux too (ubuntu at least) and usb audio drivers are present by default.
Edit - See here - http://www.beresford-dac.com/best-connection
For more info you can contact Stan directly.

regards

Back to begining
Issue started with low end dvd & Dac
Now low end DVD is not good transport too
so why not search for a good used CD with digital out ---
in fact you ca get one for 2-5 K

Hemant

Last edited:
MBR
waiting for your reply on whether i can get an onscreen display on the tv about the contents of the HDD connected through the WDTV and can select which folder i want the WDTV to play

I did browse through most of it and I see WD TV will fit your need. Yes you can connect WD TV to your External Hard Disk and it will display all the folder with thumbails. You can select and play what you want. Also, you can create Playlist in Winamp and copy to the hard drive and you can load the playlist in WD TV based on your needs.

Here is image of how WD TV displays in Thumbnail mode:
screen-video.jpg

If the folder has compatible image it will display the picture, else it displays a folder icon. With the lastest version you can remove thumnail view and go for regular view which will help you see more folders in the TV (just our View folder option in our Win Explorer)

A simple test we did btw Philips DVDp and WD TV, the audio was much clear and crisp from WD TV than the Philips DVDp.

WD TV has optical out so you can directly connect to your NAD and if you add a Beresford it would give you excellent music clarity.

Last edited:
Some details req abt WD-

1.Ram(pop110 has 256?)
2.a new hack with DVD rom/ Bl ray rom support.
3.Total int memory for future codecs

I have stopped using or expanding the internal HDD of my home machine or Laptop. I have three external HDDs - one of 40GB (very old) and two of 250GB each. I plan to buy external disks only and maybe end up with a rack full of hard drives. Instead of 350GB, look for 500GB. The price difference will be marginal.

Sir,

I'm interested in knowing how you plan to connect them all. BTW have you tried 2.5" laptop HDDs and how do they compare with the 3.5" HDD for the same purposes if you've tried them. I've had more issues with the external power adapters and external casing of the 3.5" HDD failing and the external HDDs not getting recognized by the system. The laptop 2.5" HDDs on the other hand power off the USB and work more efficiently. I recently saw/came across online of something similar like an NMT with 9TB storage, but have forgotten the link. Of course it was priced prohibitively, but the idea was good to have all movies and music in one huge disc.

Last edited:
I wonder what happened to the group order a lot of people were interested in? Any merit in reviving the idea? A senior amongst us can negotiate with Stanley, who showed keen interest in this thread.... then disappeared.

I'm interested in knowing how you plan to connect them all. BTW have you tried 2.5" laptop HDDs and how do they compare with the 3.5" HDD for the same purposes if you've tried them. I've had more issues with the external power adapters and external casing of the 3.5" HDD failing and the external HDDs not getting recognized by the system. The laptop 2.5" HDDs on the other hand power off the USB and work more efficiently. I recently saw/came across online of something similar like an NMT with 9TB storage, but have forgotten the link. Of course it was priced prohibitively, but the idea was good to have all movies and music in one huge disc.

I plan to put them all into a RAID system using NAS or SAN ultimately. I have one 3.5 and 2x2.5 disks currently. One of the 2.5 crashed recently while the 3.5 has been working seamless for the last 5 years.

The reason I picked up a particular MOBO was because it can understand RAID 5.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
I am sure you are already aware of this, but might be helpful if I share this. I have some posts online on RAID. Raid may not give you data "protection" as such. If data on one disk gets corrupted, it will get replicated across all disks.
RAID will be helpful only in keeping your system running if one of the disk crashes.
Ppl say that regular backups is a better option if you need data protection, unless you need your system running 24x7 and hot swapping on disks etc.

regards

I am quite interested in the product, but just a little confused due to

1. it is not able to do a high res on USB. So forget 24/96 etc on USB. But for rips of CDs it should work fine.

2. lot of posts around saying music over USB can be compromised if other devices are sharing the same bus. I am not sure how to provide a dedicated bus to a USB device. Some other SMPS related issues might also show up.

regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back