CD player or ext. DA-converter?

A little homework never hurt anyone right?

:). :):)

Magma, to answer your question, I will wait for people like Moser, theVortex, Unleash_Me to chip in. They have more experience. I am just assembling my HTPC, and I am yet struggling with mundane things such as RAM, HDD, etc. I will come to connections once my HTPC boots !!

Cheers

dear sir
in the long term option
option a)
buying an asus Xonar and directly connecting it to an amp
How do you make this connection?

option b)
having a regular soundcard
How do you extract the digital signal from the PC ( what is the connection used) and give it to the DAC ?
(my PC does not have a co axial or optical. i dont know if usb works
if usb is the one how do you setup the comp to provide the siganl via usb)

Well all PC soundcards have same options like a DVDP/CDP i.e. analog and digital. Based on your connection preference you can go with either digital or analog. If its a good soundcard like the Asus Xonar then analog makes more sense. Even otherwise a decent to good soundcard is a must, the onboard Realtek is really no good. Most soundcards even the basic ones have a digital coaxial out these days. Might be your onboard soundcard does not have digital out in which case getting a new soundcard is a must. Of course initially you can go with analog to the AVR or stereo amp, but SQ will take a hit in this case.

Magma,

all of us are basically saying the same thing. I'll summarize some of the points/options:

1. Cheap DVDP: The transport of the cheap DVDPs are quite poor resulting in a poor reading of the data from the CD. An external DAC like the Beresford will improve on the built-in DAC part of the cheap DVDP.

2. A dedicated CDP: This is always a better solution, but you have to dish out at least around 20K upfront to get it. Depending on your budget and future directions, you may not find this solution the most efficient one.

3. A reasonably good DVDP: like the Oppo 980 (although I do not know where in India you will get it, because it's not sold in India for reasons beyond me. It would have solved problems of so many people at a good price). I'll count the CA 540D DVDP also. These players have very good 2-channel audio (at least equalling the entry-level CDPs, if not better, from what I heard). Video is also excellent (upscaling upto 1080i I think, up to 37" that is more than enough I would suppose). In addition the Oppo plays other formats like SACD etc.

4. PC option: The other direction is to make a PC as a storage for your music (lossless formats please) and also as a player. I am NO expert in this, but as I see there are also 2 options here:
a) Use digital out ports of the sound card ( this options needs an external DAC)
b) Use stereo RCA ports of the sound card for audio out which can then be fed to an usual amp that you are planning to have.

Now with options #1 and #4a you need an external DAC like the Beresford. The Beresford DAC sounds quite mouthwatering as it is not very expensive but of a decent quality according to reports.

How comfortable are you with computers? Well, you are writing all these posts using your computer, but are you familiar with how it functions? There are a lot of threads in this forum and there are real experts who can guide you if you really want to go that way too. Just read those threads and see how comfortable you are. I can see the positives of such an approach in future.

You can also consider the following: For now get a DAC like Beresford only. Use your Sony DVDP as a transport. As mentioned already several times, this will certainly improve the sound quality. In the meanwhile, learn a bit about sound cards. Because you already would have the external DAC, you would not need a sound card with a very good DAC built in (because you are going to by-pass it anyway by taking the digital out to your external DAC). Obviously you will need a lot of hard disc to store plenty of music. I have not much idea in these matters except that I am planning to play at times music from my laptop (Apple Macbook pro) which has a reasonable sound card (perhaps). I take an optical digital out and connect it to my digital input of CA 740c. I have not done a detailed investigation of this. Once I do, I will post the results. So far only feasibility studies: I have acquired the optical cable with a mini TOSLINK connector on one side (had to get the TOSLINK-to-miniTOSLINK adapter from USA, I could not find it anywhere in India, at least not in Kolkata). The mini-TOSLINK side goes into my macbook pro and the usual TOSLINK connector goes to the 740c DAC/CDP.

Last edited:
asit and venkat
thanks you guys really summed it up
:)

moserw and others
i didnt know soundcards had those outputs!

guys
im using a sony vaio laptop at home and an IBM in office.
none of these laptops have any of the outputs you guys talk about hence i seem to be out of the loop

does this mean, to move to a pc based system ill have to buy a whole new computer ?:sad:

if the above is correct now what options do i have if im thinking flac and long term

The pc based solution seems to have so many advntages in the way that i can have all my music neatly arranged in folders/playlists, i can browse through them and play what i like ( no jhanjat of changing cd's!)

now if i cant do the same with my current laptops (or can i ?)what other options do i have?
( i dont think buying another computer specifically for this purpose makes sense!)

is there some kind of hard disk device that allows me to do what the PC does and outputs digital siganls and also has some kind of a LCD remote that allows me to browse through folders/songs andplay what i like

please help

is there some kind of hard disk device that allows me to do what the PC does and outputs digital siganls and also has some kind of a LCD remote that allows me to browse through folders/songs and play what i like

There are a number of devices from various companies. Most of them are tuned more for playing video, rather than for playing audiophile quality music. I think it will take a year of more for really good audiophile grade media players to sprount in the market. But, for a fraction of the cost these players will cost, today you can build one yourself using a PC.

Peruse the following article for details:

The Best Media-Friendly Storage Devices - PC World

Also browse through the HTPC or Media PC forum (http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/). There are lots of threads there discussing the use of the PC for audio and video.

Cheers

Last edited:
Obviously you will need a lot of hard disc to store plenty of music. I have not much idea in these matters except that I am planning to play at times music from my laptop (Apple Macbook pro) which has a reasonable sound card (perhaps).

Asit, you really do need lots of space. Just to give you an idea, a three minute song will need something like 4 MB for 128KBPS MP3 file. When you rip into 320KBPS, you are looking at 10 MB.

Lossless formats such as WAV need roughly 10MB per minute of song.

FLAC, because it compresses an original PCM file, is actually like a zip of the original Redbook file. FLAC is capable of compressions anywhere between 30 to 60% depending upon the content and size of the original song.

Cheers

Last edited:
Lossless formats such as WAV need roughly 10MB per minute of song.

FLAC, because it compresses an original PCM file, is actually like a zip of the original Redbook file. FLAC is capable of compressions anywhere between 30 to 60% depending upon the content and size of the original song.

Cheers

Yah, I know Venkat. That 10 MB/min of music you are talking about is the redbook format (16 bit, 44.1 KHz). Now I have a more difficult problem. What I have now in my laptop is live music recorded with my Sony PCM D 50 digital recorder at 24 bit and 96 KHz. Approximately 40-45 minutes of music is already occupying substantially more than 1 GB of space. I have more or less filled up my laptop HDD.

I am now thinking of these 350 GB portable HDD (available for a few K in the market) mountable by a USB connection and keep on buying these. What do you think of this idea?

Also the space I was talking about was really for uncompressed music. I really do need to learn about this FLAC thing. Does that work for Mac OS? I'll find out. Need a lossless and good compression format for Mac.

I am now thinking of these 350 GB portable HDD (available for a few K in the market) mountable by a USB connection and keep on buying these. What do you think of this idea?

I have stopped using or expanding the internal HDD of my home machine or Laptop. I have three external HDDs - one of 40GB (very old) and two of 250GB each. I plan to buy external disks only and maybe end up with a rack full of hard drives. Instead of 350GB, look for 500GB. The price difference will be marginal.

Also the space I was talking about was really for uncompressed music. I really do need to learn about this FLAC thing. Does that work for Mac OS? I'll find out. Need a lossless and good compression format for Mac.

For Apple systems, the best if Apple Lossless Encoder. These create a file with the extension MP4 and are as good as FLAC. The only issue with Apple lossless is compatibility. While there are software that can play this on non MAC OSs, you will find it difficult to find portable players that can play it.

All said and done Apple is far ahead of MS and Linux in terms of media encoding, quality, and median management.

FLAC may not work on MAC OS, but this needs to be confirmed. I am not too sure. I know iPOD and iTunes do not play FLAC. But there may be other software available on the MAC that can play FLAC.

Cheers

Asitji,
If you are going for HDD,go for at least 1TB...You may need it tomorrow,if not today.HDD with fire port support (faster tranfer rates for live high defenition video capture etc.)costs more.But we need only as a storage device.I think you will get it below Rs.7000/-

Best wishes
Brejesh :)

guys
none of these laptops have any of the outputs you guys talk about hence i seem to be out of the loop

Quite sure the Sony will have the outputs. At the very least it will have an out for the headphones. Laptops are generally not upgradeable easily so a PC is always the better alternative.

does this mean, to move to a pc based system ill have to buy a whole new computer ?:sad:

Well a newly assembled PC will be cheaper or on par with a new CDP and yet will beat the CDP in every department. It's a very good long term option and one that all music lovers should seriously consider.

if the above is correct now what options do i have if im thinking flac and long term

The pc based solution seems to have so many advntages in the way that i can have all my music neatly arranged in folders/playlists, i can browse through them and play what i like ( no jhanjat of changing cd's!)

now if i cant do the same with my current laptops (or can i ?)what other options do i have?
( i dont think buying another computer specifically for this purpose makes sense!)

Any basic assembled PC will do. You'll only need to invest in a good soundcard. Like I said this will be cheaper than most CDP and yet perform as well or even better as a transport. The other advantages like you've mentioned... all your music collection is available on hand and at once place and your CDs will be safe, scratch proof and backed up. I'm quite sure this can be achieved with your present laptop too, but make sure any h/w you go in for will be useful with any future upgrades you do in terms of getting a new PC/laptop etc.

is there some kind of hard disk device that allows me to do what the PC does and outputs digital siganls and also has some kind of a LCD remote that allows me to browse through folders/songs andplay what i like

Lots of such devices exist, but not always as good as a PC. For instance even WDTV will do this job, all you'll need will be an External HDD and required cables. Still a PC is hard to beat at this sort of thing.

please help

Hope this helped...;)

Quite sure the Sony will have the outputs. At the very least it will have an out for the headphones. Laptops are generally not upgradeable easily so a PC is always the better alternative.

I'm quite sure this can be achieved with your present laptop too, but make sure any h/w you go in for will be useful with any future upgrades you do in terms of getting a new PC/laptop etc.

Lots of such devices exist, but not always as good as a PC. For instance even WDTV will do this job, all you'll need will be an External HDD and required cables. Still a PC is hard to beat at this sort of thing.

Hope this helped...;)

moserw
thanks

but
1) my sony has only the headphone out no other outputs yes there is one I link port (s400) which i use for the sony handycam
now i dont think either of these this are useful for feeding the amp or a DAC is it

2)Please do help how the above can be done using my laptop ! (as you state)i wold really be interested in that.
i dont think an external soundacrd would help either na?
what would i connect it to?

3) does WDTV display on screen the list of folders/songs (stored in the connceted HDD) and allow me to slect a particualr folder to play?

looking forward to your help

moserw
thanks

but
1) my sony has only the headphone out no other outputs yes there is one I link port (s400) which i use for the sony handycam
now i dont think either of these this are useful for feeding the amp or a DAC is it

2)Please do help how the above can be done using my laptop ! (as you state)i wold really be interested in that.

What you will need is a 3.5 mm to RCA Y splitter. It will take the output from the headphone jack and give analog RCA (the red and white) inputs which you can connect to any AVR or DAC. Also, such cables will be very cheap and look like this...

8-2511Y-005.jpg

i dont think an external soundacrd would help either na?
what would i connect it to?

An external soundcard will come with all connectivity options like digital and analog outs. But do lay off one for now. Try the Y splitter first and see if it gives satisfactory output via your AVR. (I'm presuming you have an AVR or a stereo amp here).

3) does WDTV display on screen the list of folders/songs (stored in the connceted HDD) and allow me to slect a particualr folder to play?

looking forward to your help

Yes, WDTV will do all of this (at least I think so), but MBR (our resident WDTV expert) is definitely more qualified to answer about WDTV. If he is following this thread I'm sure he will reply or else PM him.

@MBR - Also need your input about the SQ for audio files of WDTV if you've tested it out.

Sony should be having an SPDIF out (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) Check it out. If it has one, you can get the digital out by using a simple 3.5mm to Optical adaptor pin - to connect to your dac.

FCTK-25K_LR.jpg

I doubt if IBM will have one, I have been using T60 for a long time and had to depend on an XFi notebook card to get the digital out.

Happy hunting.

What you will need is a 3.5 mm to RCA Y splitter. It will take the output from the headphone jack and give analog RCA (the red and white) inputs which you can connect to any AVR or DAC. Also, such cables will be very cheap and look like this....

cmon moserw
you cant be serious about the audio quality i will get using the onboard soundcard and the output from a 3.5mm headphone jack!
i know about the y spliter i have some good MX ones gold plated lying around too

An external soundcard will come with all connectivity options like digital and analog outs. But do lay off one for now. Try the Y splitter first and see if it gives satisfactory output via your AVR. (I'm presuming you have an AVR or a stereo amp here).

yes it will come with all OUTPUT options
but how do i connect the exernal soundcard to my laptop!
how do i get the laptop to play musci through this external soundcard!

Sony should be having an SPDIF out (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) Check it out. If it has one, you can get the digital out by using a simple 3.5mm to Optical adaptor pin - to connect to your dac.

I doubt if IBM will have one, I have been using T60 for a long time and had to depend on an XFi notebook card to get the digital out.

Happy hunting.

unleash
that would be excellent but alas i have an older sony without that optical output!
all ive got is usb and headphone out :sad:

why not use USB of 7520 of beresford DAC instead?

regards

because how do i display the files (control which folder/song i want to play)that are on the usb drive thats connected to the beresford
i dont think a usb to usb link between a laptop and the beresford will work do you?

MBR
waiting for your reply on whether i can get an onscreen display on the tv about the contents of the HDD connected through the WDTV and can select which folder i want the WDTV to play

yes, it is a USB DAC! It will connect to your computer on a USB port - and not to USB drives.

regards

because how do i display the files (control which folder/song i want to play)that are on the usb drive thats connected to the beresford
i dont think a usb to usb link between a laptop and the beresford will work do you?

cmon moserw
you cant be serious about the audio quality i will get using the onboard soundcard and the output from a 3.5mm headphone jack!
i know about the y spliter i have some good MX ones gold plated lying around too

That's why I said hold off on going for external soundcard till you check out how it sounds. Anyways all this is only intermediate. The ultimate goal should be to build/assemble a PC to hold and play all your music or a CDP/AMP combo. It's just that the PC will cost less and also do more than the CDP hence my vote for it.

yes it will come with all OUTPUT options
but how do i connect the exernal soundcard to my laptop!
how do i get the laptop to play musci through this external soundcard!

The external soundcard will connect via USB to the laptop i.e. laptop > soundcard/DAC (via USB) > AVR/AMP etc. (via digital coaxial or RCA).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back